03-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Free Member

please point me towards a good site that shows how to colourise b&w pictures. and yes i know it is an open ended question, so you could give me thousands of answers! but for starters, one or two will do. i've learnt a few techniques, but could do with a few more.

much appreciated.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Let's start here: What methods do you currently know now?

Most of my colorising techniques are ones that I learned on my own, self-taught, because of existing skill with pro photography and business use of Photoshop. What I often do is use brushes and manipulate the layers. And then you'll zoom in to the image at least 200-300%, and use small/tiny brushes to color in detail areas. Around fingers and ears, for example.

There's also something to be said for manipulating the B&W image with various B&W filters, which can help un-darken or even un-lighten certain areas of the image. And again, you'll find yourself using multiple layers, or layer masks, because you'll want to apply those filters on an area by area basis, and not to the whole image.

My first colorize attempt took weeks of effort, and it's honestly not gotten much faster.

I've seen similar techniques shown in detail in a very good UK magazine, which runs about $15/issue in USA after import. I'll look for it next time I go to the bookstore, and then hopefully I'll remember to come here and post the name of it. The whole magazine is dedicated to artistic use of Photoshop. Few ads, nothing basic.

I'll add this to the list of guides for this site. I can at least show my method. In fact, post some of your examples. I've seen them via emails, and I know they're good.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Free Member

are you thinking of "Advance Photoshop Magazine"? that does have a lot of info + tutorials etc. hmm, perhaps i should splash some cash and purchase a few of these?
03-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Possibly. I know there are several magazines, all from UK. I'd seriously have to look at the store, because I can spot their style of articles and tutorials. I've been glancing at them for years, but never seem to come across something I need/want to learn. Or for it to show something I don't already know.

I need to hear that way later this week, so I'll stop by.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Free Member

here are a few of my recent efforts:

ctrevor2.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

jharlow1.jpg

i know there are issues / problems with these.
areas that are not colored properly or not tidied off etc.

but i freely admit i'm a novice at this and so mistakes are bound to creep in.

or do i go with the artistic license theory?!
ie those aren't errors - that is how i want the pix to look!

Last edited by manthing; 03-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.
03-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Free Member

here's what i do to color-in the b&w pixs:

1) find a good image to start with! a good image always helps. something with a good pose, a good mood. i usually go for high resolution pixs, about 300 dpi or higher.

2) i may use the auto tone / auto contrast features on the b&w pix.

3) then i create layer masks. eg a layer mask for the face, then another for the lips, another for the eyes etc.

4) i start coloring the masked areas. just choose a color, say pinkish or very light browns for skin areas, perhaps cut the opacity / fill / flow, then start coloring.

5) once colored, if need be i change the mode: color / overlay / dodge - whatever.

6) sometimes, i use 2 or 3 layers to get the effect or color i want. say for skin, i might use pinks on one layer, browns on another and then "blend" the two to get the final color i like.

7) then the final touches, like adding rouge to cheeks, maybe adding extra colors or textures to backgrounds etc.

8) for each layer, i may play around with the contrast / tone / level etc. or i might leave that for the final merged pix.

9) a dose of imagination!

i think that about covers the range of things i do to color in b&w pixs.

i guess those are the most often used techniques to color b&w pixs.

are there any others?
are there quicker / smarter techniques?

is there a way to get better skin tones?

ps - forgot to say i generally use soft brushes, ie with fuzzy edges and mid range opacity / flow. also use soft rubber to erase areas as need be.

Last edited by manthing; 03-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.
03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Free Member

see those areas that are a bit too shiny? like left hand in 2nd pix? and skin area under left eye in 3rd pix?

i find it too bright.

is there a technique to remove / reduce this shine?

another one: look at 3rd pix. jacket area.

i masked the jacket.
then colored it.

part of the coloring is fine.

however, you can obviously see too much, shall we say vibrance, in some areas.

so, how do i bring down the tone in just those parts and make it fit with the rest of the jacket?

there is a 10th point - chance / luck!

see 3rd pix - the blue/purple petals.

the fact was that i painted those yellow!

then, as i was changing the "mode", by chance i stumbled onto divide or dodge and got blue/purple color. it suited the pix better, so i decided to go with that.

i did add another color layer so as to make the petals nearer her body a darker color and leave the petals higher up a tad lighter.

so there was some thinking going into it.
but the initial thing was pure luck.

is there anywhere i can buy bucket loads of luck?
it'll come in real handy!