Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Free Member

I'm looking for help fixing orange color cast on colored slides taken some years ago. These slides have been transferred to digital images in the hard drive using a slide converter.

How to use Adobe Photoshop CS3 to remove orange color cast from slides?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Can you post a sample image? (Note: Resize it down to a small web-version image, not the full print-quality scan.)

I'm in the middle of scanning hundreds of family photos, too, including some ancient slides that are 50+ years old! It's amazing how well the slides have stood up, and often look as if they were shot yesterday. The print, however, have faired far worse. The Polaroids are a near-disaster in some cases.

The biggest advantage in scanning slides and prints is the quality of the scanner in use. What was used to scan your slides?

Photoshop CS5 actually made some of these photo corrective tasks easier, as it stole some features from Lightroom.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Sometimes the photos can be pre-edited in Bridge, too. In Bridge, you can adjust the white balance, as well as tweak some settings not available in CS3. More of the Bridge settings were moved into Photoshop by CS5, and into Lightroom 3. Since upgrading to Photoshop CS5 and LR3, I've used Bridge only for quick pre-processing of RAW NEF/CR2 images. During my CS3 days, I was in Bridge quite a bit, tackling color noise, temperature (color casts), and more.

How familiar are you with Photoshop CS3?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Free Member

My slides are more than 50 years old. We moved a lot (military) and the slides did as well. Seems most of the outdoor ones are fine, some blue casts. The indoor ones have an orange cast. Most of my slide were taken using Kodachrome film. I used a Film and Slide Converter by Innovative Technology, which according to their claim digitized the slides. To answer another post ... my knowledge of PS CS3 is limited as I'm a newbie, but learning! Any suggestions are good suggestions, as I'll try everything...
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM

I would be easier if I had some sample images to work with, as there's no one way to adjust proper color.

However, try one of these for starters:
  • Go to Image* > Adjust > Auto Color
  • Go to Image > Adjust > Levels, and then click the Auto button. You can also drag the slider points (black, gray, white) to improve contrast.
  • Go to Image > Adjust > Photo Filter, and then apply filters until one improves it.
*As in File, Edit, Image, Layer, etc... in the program menu.

Warnings:
- Sometimes Auto Color makes the photo worse, or just exchanges one color cast for another.
- Sometimes Levels has no effect on color casts.
- Sometimes Photo Filter is good, but not as completely fixed as you'd like it to be.

Again, it really helps to have representative samples, as not all color casts are created equal.

If these images are JPEG (not TIFF) -- or save a JPEG version from whatever the source is -- then you can open the image in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) in Bridge CS3, which is the DAM (digital asset manager) that comes with Photoshop CS3+. In ACR, you alter the white balance, and the various tabs have tons of other settings.

I can provide some screen caps of this workflow, if you can attach a few sample images to reply post.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Free Member

How do I reduce the photo to 100 kb or less and then how to get it on this form?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0020.jpg (55.3 KB, 4 downloads)
06-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Put the photo inside of a .zip file or a .rar file, which has an 8MB allowance.

Photos are limited in dimensions and filesize because the forum embeds them. Nobody wants to encounter a 5MB website that has a photo 10x the size of their screen! Hence the need to store large files inside of zips. If you don't know how to zip up files, just ask.

Do note that your last image did attach, so that's at least a start.

And honestly, the small images will work just as well as the large ones. Size isn't important here, since it's color related.

I'll look at it and get back to you.

06-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Two questions:
  1. Did you scan these slides yourself? If so, what is the brand, make and model of the scanner?
  2. Do you still have access to the original slides.
Honestly, this just looks like a bad scan job, due to a defective/inferior scanner. It looks as if the scanner is missing some of the color spectrum. The attached image above is almost purely green (yellow) and blue, with almost zero red/magenta channels. The red channel is extremely washed out, as well as blurry. This is a common problem with those cheap $50-100 scanners that look like slide viewers. Something like this is almost impossible to correct, because the colors are physically not present. It's hard to restore what's not really there to begin with. High quality scanners ($500+) tend to have an ability to pull out color from slides, because they're also tuned to filter out the color cast of the film itself.

Third question:
  • What does the slide look like, when held up in sunlight? Is the color good, or is it extremely orange like the attached image?
I have some slides that were scanned on multiple scanners, and showcase this quite well. I'll see if I can locate those.

06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Free Member

I purchased a slide and film converter from Staples (100 bucks). Lots of these slides were taken in the late 50's. They are taken using both Chrome and Ektachrome. It seems that most of the indoor slide have that orange cast while the outdoor ones have a blue cast. I`m not going to purchase a expensive converter to do these slides, so possible I`ll have to live with what I have. Or, I can make them all B&W as that makes them look pretty good. Thank your trouble.
B
06-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Unfortunately what you're seeing is a common side effect of the cheap Chinese scanners sold in office supply stores. There's at least 10-20 "brands" out there, but they're all using the same 1-2 scanners made cheaply in China. The optics and image processing are horrible. Fuzzy non-sharp images and bad color casts are common. Yours appears to be extraordinarily bad, and is missing a color channel.

Outside of paying for somebody to scan them with a better scanner, or buying your own better scanner...

...then B&W is probably your best bet.

Here is an example of the bad scanner: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001RUGOIY
Image attached. They all look like the old light viewers from the 1970s.

Even a decent $100-range Epson V300 series scanner does better: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003RRY8CY
Or a Plustek film scanner for about $300: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003G8KRJC

Personally, I'd try again. The first scanner butchered your images. You can get better quality.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51vvpe9CzyS._AA1200_.jpg (26.2 KB, 4 downloads)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the advice