Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-29-2020, 11:02 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

I'd like to upgrade my scanner. I currently use an Epson Perfection V37. As I often scan CD booklets or record sleeves, I really need a scanner with two light sources that will eliminate any shadows and highlights caused by kinked, uneven covers.

I tried the Epson Perfection V600 before, but the scan results were rather bad. Instead of shadows or highlights, I got red and blue tinted areas where the covers were uneven - I guess this may be some kind of chromatic aberration. Oddly, this was only a problem when scanning dark colors.

https://imgur.com/Yv7a4Kt

Here is a scan of textured paper that shows how it's only a problem with dark images:

https://imgur.com/GaOnIye

When I turned on the paper texture mode (which switches off one of the light sources), I only got red tinted areas.

https://imgur.com/jkaYEIC

Epson support assured me the scanner must be broken, so I returned the refurbished device I had originally purchased and bought a brand new one, but it had the same problem.

Here is the same cover scanned with the V37 for comparison:
https://imgur.com/ppUEQgG

Are there any good alternatives to the V600? Does the V550 suffer from the same problem as the V600?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-31-2020, 03:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Please attach those images to a forum post, and then I'll give those a look.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-31-2020, 04:34 PM
Free Member

Sure, here you go:

Red and blue
red and blue.jpg

textured paper
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

red:
textured paper.jpg

v37 for comparison:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

08-30-2020, 02:54 PM
Free Member

I've searched for this problem on the internet and couldn't find anything. I can't believe that noone would have noticed such an obvious problem...
09-02-2020, 01:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZincRider View Post
I've searched for this problem on the internet and couldn't find anything. I can't believe that noone would have noticed such an obvious problem...
The V600 model has been in production for about 10 years now. I've never noticed this on my unit, but will re-test when I have time. It may only exist in some sub-models of the V600, not all V600 ever. We see that a lot with video hardware, and constant chip changes by manufacturers with long-lived products.

I should still have the receipt, but mine is at least 10 years old.
How old is yours?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ZincRider (09-02-2020)
09-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your help.
I bought both V600s two years ago – and returned them immediately because of this issue.

I'm really looking forward to reading about your findings.
12-19-2020, 05:15 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The V600 model has been in production for about 10 years now. I've never noticed this on my unit, but will re-test when I have time. It may only exist in some sub-models of the V600, not all V600 ever. We see that a lot with video hardware, and constant chip changes by manufacturers with long-lived products.

I should still have the receipt, but mine is at least 10 years old.
How old is yours?
Have you had a chance to test this yet? I'm still curious about this issue.