Go Back    Forum > Search Forums
Showing results 1 to 25 of 87
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: timtape
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 03-25-2024, 06:40 PM
Replies: 8
Views: 151
Posted By timtape
Sounds like it might have been poorly packed and...

Sounds like it might have been poorly packed and has been damaged in transit. Inadequate packing is common I believe. I try to test and pick up locally for that reason.
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 02-27-2024, 03:47 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 319
Posted By timtape
Yes, and for best playback there are things which...

Yes, and for best playback there are things which have to be right at the tape, and at the VCR. Also alignments and synchronizations between tape and VCR. Even VHS decode is totally dependent on...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 02-12-2024, 08:50 AM
Replies: 10
Views: 442
Posted By timtape
Often not grasped in this context is that...

Often not grasped in this context is that speaking of intelligence, the most intelligent detective in the world, whether human or artificial, still needs evidence (relevent data) to have a hope of...
Forum: Encode, Convert for streaming 02-01-2024, 11:16 PM
Replies: 6
Views: 221
Posted By timtape
Overall well done. Maybe I'm particularly aware...

Overall well done. Maybe I'm particularly aware of sync issues but the picture appears to lag behind the audio a frame or two. This is commonly caused by a small picture delay created by an external...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 01-31-2024, 03:45 PM
Replies: 2
Views: 238
Posted By timtape
The first company which comes to mind is Specs...

The first company which comes to mind is Specs Bros of NJ.

http://www.specsbros.com/
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 01-29-2024, 06:55 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 288
Posted By timtape
Well as I recall, the 0 reference point ...

Well as I recall, the 0 reference point represented a tolerable level of harmonic distortion, often 3%.

The early magnetic tape oxides had poor output, perhaps 15db lower than later high output...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 01-16-2024, 10:40 PM
Replies: 3
Views: 183
Posted By timtape
Hi DamienC, I have the same model. Mine also...

Hi DamienC, I have the same model. Mine also failed after a few years. It was SMD capacitors. They often fail in a wide range of electronic devices including VCR's. I'm a tech so it was an easy...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 01-09-2024, 06:28 PM
Views: 302
Posted By timtape
Thanks for the post and the examples. No...

Thanks for the post and the examples.

No matter which make or model of VCR it needs to be in good working condition - today, not 30 years ago when it was new. This is to play your tapes at their...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 01-08-2024, 11:33 PM
Replies: 4
Views: 225
Posted By timtape
I see this TBC has fully adjustable luma...

I see this TBC has fully adjustable luma (brightness), color etc. Perhaps the last settings made are still engaged. I'd try adjusting down the brightness to see if that prevents the highlights from...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 12-08-2023, 07:10 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 386
Posted By timtape
Just listening to it, the audio sounds very...

Just listening to it, the audio sounds very distorted.
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 11-28-2023, 05:35 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 406
Posted By timtape
One approach is to send a small, unimportant to...

One approach is to send a small, unimportant to you, 8mm reel (the same well exposed film, shot in bright sunlight with deep shadows for maximum contrast) to a few different recommended vendors and...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 10-23-2023, 07:19 AM
Replies: 7
Views: 242
Posted By timtape
The problems seem confined to the top half of the...

The problems seem confined to the top half of the picture and appear intermittent. Possibly some of the artefacts are the dropout compensator working overtime. The very top of the picture is noisier...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 08-30-2023, 04:13 PM
Views: 205
Posted By timtape
The YT instruction video seems pretty spot on...

The YT instruction video seems pretty spot on including safety precautions. Some nasty shocks possible even with the VCR unplugged. As always if you're not confident about opening the VCR up and...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 08-29-2023, 08:14 PM
Views: 205
Posted By timtape
Welcome. My first though was it's displaying...

Welcome. My first though was it's displaying "play" but with a few of the green LED segments not illuminating. Re no picture have you tried running a standard cleaning tape as per the instructions? A...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 08-21-2023, 04:30 PM
Replies: 27
Views: 734
Posted By timtape
My AG 1750 has no grounding brush on the top. I...

My AG 1750 has no grounding brush on the top. I think this is normal for this model.
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 08-21-2023, 09:52 AM
Replies: 27
Views: 734
Posted By timtape
Yes good advice. The nut labelled 5 can be used...

Yes good advice. The nut labelled 5 can be used to carefully raise or lower the AC head without affecting other adjustments. But if for example the head is tilting a little back, CH 1 may be weak...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 08-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Views: 350
Posted By timtape
In rewind on many later model VHS decks the tape...

In rewind on many later model VHS decks the tape remains fully laced across the video head drum and heads, A/C head etc and so contributes to wear.

Then the rewind speed is often so fast that...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 08-14-2023, 04:31 PM
Replies: 102
Views: 7,317
Posted By timtape
Speaking of audio comparisons, does anyone...

Speaking of audio comparisons, does anyone seriously suggest capturing the actual 1000 kHz carrier wave of an AM radio station broadcast for improved audio quality? Or the 100 MHz wave on FM? Im not...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 06-29-2023, 08:07 PM
Replies: 17
Views: 2,006
Posted By timtape
Back when the spare parts were still available a...

Back when the spare parts were still available a tech would probably just order the manufacturer's complete part by original parts number and install it. Just looking at your photos I cant tell the...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 06-29-2023, 09:52 AM
Replies: 17
Views: 2,006
Posted By timtape
The older VCRs tended to use genuine felt such as...

The older VCRs tended to use genuine felt such as used on a billiard table. One failure mode is when the original glue has deteriorated and the felt simply comes away. When there is no available...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 04-20-2023, 02:46 AM
Views: 263
Posted By timtape
Good point. I would also avoid a fast fast wind...

Good point. I would also avoid a fast fast wind as it only increases the risk of further tape damage. Unfortunately many later model VCR's had very fast winds and around the heads. Maybe just play...
Forum: General Discussion 04-10-2023, 06:27 AM
Views: 561
Posted By timtape
Well it doesnt build up dust between each VCR, it...

Well it doesnt build up dust between each VCR, it prevents it, which in itself is a good thing.

But it can also lead to overheating if ventilation is restricted. For a long term setup I try to...
Forum: Author, Make Menus, Slideshows, Burn 04-10-2023, 05:51 AM
Replies: 13
Views: 536
Posted By timtape
Interlaced was always intended to be displayed...

Interlaced was always intended to be displayed interlaced because that's what it is. I believe the DVD format is natively interlaced so there should be no problem there. Problems can come when the...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 04-08-2023, 05:21 PM
Replies: 19
Views: 803
Posted By timtape
With open reel it was easier to obtain good w&f....

With open reel it was easier to obtain good w&f. Tape speed could be increased, and there was room to include as many tape guides and scrape flutter rollers as needed. The challenge was always low w...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 04-06-2023, 10:10 PM
Replies: 19
Views: 803
Posted By timtape
Yes stored "tail out" means as I described,...

Yes stored "tail out" means as I described, stored with tape fully played out and not rewound. In single side recorded tapes like VHS, Beta, 8mm, it can also help reduce some sound "echoes" forming...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 87