02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Hi,
When I'm in Sony DVD Architect and want to burn a DVD, my DVD writer is not showing up as a device. I have to render it to an ISO, then use Roxy to burn the ISO file. I have a new Dell with Vista, 4MB RAM. The DVD writer is a PBDS DVD+-RW DH-16W1S (whatever that means).

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Do I lose anything in quality when I render to ISO and then burn using Roxy?

Thanks.
Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

You're probably better off anyway, not burning in authoring software. It just adds another layer where something could go wrong in a multitasked operation. And when it comes to video, multitasking is often the root of issues (be it quality, or functional problems, etc).

In fact, I'd not author to an ISO either, as it may not correctly gap the 32k IFO/BUP files. Export to a DVD-Video folder set (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS).

I'd not use Roxio for anything whatsoever. It's just not very good software, especially not for DVD-Video burning. It has a long and deserved negative reputation.

Try to use the freeware tool ImgBurn available from www.imgburn.com. You'd put it in BUILD mode, set the burner as the OUTPUT device. Drag the folders to the content window, label the UDF and ISO labels, select your burn speed, and let it burn away.

ISO is just an image file, no quality will be lost. But the 32k gap issue can be major, causing a disc to fully crash and not play. Sadly, many authoring tools do not do this as required by the DVD-Video specs in their burning engines.

1. What version of Architect are you using?
2. Are you doing an DUAL LAYER or DOUBLE LAYER projects? Or all these all single-layer DVD-R/DVD+R projects?

I've not had this problem in Architect, but it's mostly because I choose to not use it. I found it a tad slow and limiting compared to my favorites.

What you have is a "Philips & BenQ Digital Storage Corporation" (PBDS) drive. The BenQ brand of drives is notorious for its quirks, and this might just be another one. You may or may not get this problem with another drive (the better Pioneer or Samsung).

It may be as simple as needing to get a Vista update from Sony, off their site. It depends on what version you're using.

But even if it could be fixed, would you want to? I can look into the 32k issue if you want.

I personally author everything to folders. I can therefore check the compiled DVD in PowerDVD or WinDVD. After I'm happy the project authored as I saw it in the authorware (sometimes those previews lie!), only then will I burn in ImgBurn.

Just answer questions 1-2 from up above, and feel free to give any thoughts or feedback you might have.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for the reply. But as I'm learning, I'll have a lot of questions. I just sent my first 4 VHS to you, so I'm trying to learn so I'll be ready when I get the DVDs back.

Here is the software I have:
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Version 6.0 (build 43)
Sony DVD Architect Studio Version 3.0b (build 93)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0, version 5.0.2

1. In Sony Architect 3.0, how to I export to video folder set? I've checked and I just can't find that option.

2. Should I export the Video_TS and Audio_TS separately?

3. I don't understand dual-layer or double-layer. Should I be doing that? How do I do that? I have been using -R and +R DVDs....mostly -R.

4. You said Architect is slow and limited. Do you have a preference?

5. I'll look in the guides to see if it discusses the 32K gap. I never heard of that and want to understand what it means.

6. Do you recommend PowerDVD or WinDVD? Which version? PowerDVD Deluxe 7.0 is $69.95, Standard 7.0 is $49.95. WinDVD Platinum 8 is $34.99.

So, here is what I believe I need to do when I get the DVDs back from the restoration services. Or am I still completely way off?

1. Author in Sony Vegas 6.0 to select the Video that I want.
2. From Sony...render to something (AVI, MPEG???). Should I render audio and video separately?
3. Import the Sony outputs into DVD Architect (or possibly something different as recommended by you) and create the menus.
4. Export as Audio_TS and Video_TS files.
5. Check out with PowerDVD or WinDVD.
6. Burn with ImgBurn....directly to the DVD rather than ISO.

Thanks....and I look forward to your response. I'll no doubt have more questions.

Thanks.
Steve
03-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I've sent an e-mail regarding this post. Need to ask a question in private before proceeding with a forum answer.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!