Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

continued from email...

Quote:
I need a new printer for my business use: I would like a color laser printer that goes fairly fast, that also scans and can work as a fax in case I get layed off this year.

My BMS printer is an HP officejet J5760 All-in-one and it stinks It's too slow and uses ink by the truckload. I don't even know how to use most of the features on it.

So if have recommendations for a site to go to and a model # to look at, that would be great

Thanks,
What's your budget ?
Does it need to print any bigger than 8.5x14 ?

Color lasers are just lasers. These are considered pro printers. Those wonky all-in-one things are consumer items, and they usually work pretty poor at that. As you've seen, they slurp ink, and are prone to breakdowns.

I can suggest a good scanner if you need one of those, too.

Any dinky old fax will work. One of those cheap thermal jobs.

Just need a dollar figure to work with. Then I can make suggestions.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

continued from email...

Quote:
I am just trying to stay as cheap as possible. I have spent so much money on this business and of course, not making any money yet. So I will have to charge it, which I hate to do.
Is there any kind under $500.00?

As far as the scanner, my son-in-laws can do that, so that's not a "must have"

Same as the fax, I am sure I can pick up a fax relatively cheap?

We get discounts through our corporate BMS vendors, but like with my new computer- was able to find one for around $500. It's a Dell Inspiron and then he knew how to add free programs to it such as: excel, word, Picassa, etc...........

Thanks for suggestions,
You've got a good budget again! It's refreshing to see realistic budgets. I too often get "help me fine a yacht for $3" type questions.

From your first email, you're also willing to save $$$ by shopping online, instead of donating profit to the nearest big-box store.

By far, the best printers for COLOR QUALITY and ACCURACY -- i.e., what you see on screen really is the color that ends up on the page!! -- is a Konica Minolta color laser. Many people think of HP first, but HP has lousy accuracy, and the toner carts are expensive. (Well ... ALL toner carts are expensive, but HP is more expensive.)

Now when it comes to quality items at the best prices -- including printers -- Amazon tends to be the place to shop. I did some comparison shopping for the best prices (while sticking to known-good stores), and this time is no different.

Look at this Konica Minolta Magicolor 1600W: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001Q3KMUI
Total price = $157

Now then, I have to retract my earlier statement. Apparently, color laser combo all-in-one units ARE now available. And Minolta has one of those too!

Look at the Konica Minolta Magicolor 1690MF Multifunction: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001Q3KMX0
Total price = $322

Now then, before you jump and buy the combo machine, let me quickly point out how combo units tend to break easier, because there is more stuff that can go wrong! And on top of that, many combo machines will refuse to work when ANY part of the machine is having issues. For example, your machine may refuse to scan if it's out of toner -- nevermind the fact that it doesn't need toner to scan! I don't know that this is the case with this particular unit, but it's very likely.

I would suggest the first Minolta for $157.

And then add a really good scanner. For example, this Epson V300: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001GBKTGM
This is actually the scanner I use, and I'm an image quality snob. It met all my needs. It can scan paper AND slides, and it does a good job at both.
Total price = $90
Total price for printer + scanner = $247, so still cheaper than combo

In the age of web and email, and old crap fax machine works. You can find them on eBay, Craigslist, the local pawn shop, etc. Sticking with Amazon, there are 4 models available in used but "very good" or "like new" condition: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
Some sell for as little as $30 shipped.

Even if you splurged on a new model, you're looking at a total price that is lower than the all-in-one machine. And if any one of them ever breaks, it doesn't tank the two.

The ONLY drawback here is more desk space needed. But you can always unplug a scanner/fax when not needed, and store in a closet or drawer somewhere. I keep my scanner on a cheap little wooden office cart from Office Depot, behind the desk. Walmat has some, too.

And yes, using these link helps this site. More links at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-com-1528.html
Prices for you stay the same, but the store shares a tiny sliver of profit with us.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!