Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The following Photoshop PSD documents are blank templates for creating DVD cases of various sizes.
Note: We also have new CD case templates! See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...e-artwork.html

Instructions:

To download the covers, simply register for the forum (it's free!), and then login and download the templates below. That's it. Your e-mail address is not sold (no spam!), and you'll be joining a community dedicated to digital media topics -- especially when it comes to creating high quality DVDs!

Notes:
  • Blank Canvas: These come with a black background, but a quick swipe of a large-pixel paintbrush can easily change it.
  • Guides and Rulers: The blue guides are preset, marking the spine area, so be sure the rulers and guides are enabled in Photoshop, as covered in the Making Cases in Photoshop Guide.
  • Saving Artwork: When you save a DVD case, it is suggested to keep a master PSD, for later updates or edits. For the version that is printed or shared, a TIFF is preferable, but a JPEG is acceptable if saved at maximum compression.
  • Adjust As Needed: Remember that all DVD cases vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, by a few millimeters. You may or may not need to adjust these templates by a tiny fraction, plus or minus, to fit your exact cases. You may want to print a test page before committing to a huge print job, and cut it out to see how well it fits.

Guides, Help and Tips:

For help on how to edit these templates, and some basics on Photoshop and DVD cover creation, see the following guides:
also worth checking out is:

Stay Updated:

Simply Like Us on Facebook and/or Follow Us on Twitter to get news on when new cases are added, as well as find out about great deals on empty CD/DVD cases and blank discs. In the near future, we'll also be adding more cases, including a number of professionally pre-designed cases that will be easy to use in Photoshop!You won't want to miss out on those.

and the Downloads...

The PSD files are inside the attached ZIP or RAR archives. If you're not sure what these files are, read the instructions on how to use RAR and ZIP files.

Attached Files
File Type: rar All-DVD-Cases.rar (43.2 KB, 2828 downloads)
File Type: rar Standard-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (5.6 KB, 2370 downloads)
File Type: rar Standard-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (4.1 KB, 618 downloads)
File Type: rar Slim-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (2.9 KB, 818 downloads)
File Type: rar Slim-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (2.7 KB, 281 downloads)
File Type: rar Any-1inchSpine-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (2.9 KB, 283 downloads)
File Type: rar Any-1inchSpine-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (2.7 KB, 137 downloads)
File Type: rar MLock-Slim6-1inchSpine-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (2.9 KB, 168 downloads)
File Type: rar MLock-Slim6-1inchSpine-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (2.7 KB, 103 downloads)
File Type: rar AlphaPak-3disc-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (3.0 KB, 164 downloads)
File Type: rar AlphaPak-3disc-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (2.8 KB, 100 downloads)
File Type: rar AlphaPak-4disc+5disc-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (2.9 KB, 173 downloads)
File Type: rar AlphaPak-4disc+5disc-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (2.7 KB, 93 downloads)
File Type: rar AlphaPak-6disc+7disc-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar (2.9 KB, 171 downloads)
File Type: rar AlphaPak-6disc+7disc-DVD-Case-200dpi.rar (2.7 KB, 124 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: suichihara (03-27-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Free Member

how can i use these files
05-28-2009, 03:38 PM

Inside of the RAR archive -- a .RAR is like a .ZIP file, use WinRAR (freeware/trialware) to "unzip" the file -- is a Photoshop PSD. For more help on what to do with this PSD, see the guide on How to Create DVD Cases in Photoshop.

And that's all there is to it, really.

08-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Free Member

This is awesome! Thanks.
08-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Due to the popularity of these templates,
I will be designing and creating a very expanded selection of both "raw" and "fully designed" templates in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback.

08-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Free Member

Could you send me one of the "fully designed" templates if you have one finished? I'm working on a project right now and having some inspiration would help.
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptocknell View Post
Could you send me one of the "fully designed" templates if you have one finished? I'm working on a project right now and having some inspiration would help.
The new templates are not yet completed. Looking towards late September or mid October for the new additions.

In the meantime, however, if you're interested in some one-on-one dedicated assistance in creating professional-quality cases, upgrade to a Premium Member status, and then we can go over your project in the Planning/Workflow forum. I'll help you (or any Premium Member) put together the masterpiece you want (and probably need!). Such consulation takes time, and the (currently $10) membership is a bargain -- far cheaper than any book, Photoshop magazine or class on the subject.

10-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Inside of the RAR archive -- a .RAR is like a .ZIP file, use WinRAR (freeware/trialware) to "unzip" the file -- is a Photoshop PSD. For more help on what to do with this PSD, see the guide on How to Create DVD Cases in Photoshop.

And that's all there is to it, really.
Do you have these DVD case templates for the Mac OS X and Photoshop CS/v8? All I get is gibberish when I open the file.
Thx
10-01-2009, 05:56 AM

PSD files are not platform specific.

The PSD files are inside of RAR archive files, sort of like ZIP or SIT files. To UnRAR a RAR file on Mac OS X, simply use UnRarX free software from http://www.unrarx.com

Ironically, the UnRarX installer comes inside of a ZIP file. Funny! Most of us use RAR because we're really not that fond of ZIP fles.

10-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Free Member

Thanks. When I printed a test page for proofing, the image was printed lopsided or as we say in video, "key stoning". Image prints landscape and slants downward off axis. It's not square on the paper. I can trim with a blade but it shouldn't print this way in Photoshop CS, V8. Any fix ideas?
10-02-2009, 05:57 AM

The only time I've seen this -- and I've seen it many hundreds (thousands?) of times in the years -- is when the printer itself is having issues. This can range from the paper slipping on the rollers, to the paper grabber not grabbing it square. This is more of an issue on inkjets, but I see it even on my high-end color lasers sometimes. The fix is to dismantle the printer and clean the rubber rollers/grabbers (use isopropyl alcohol and a good paper towel that does NOT leave lint), and then be sure there is enough paper in the tray. The problem does get worse the lower the paper level.

It's not an issue with the file, or with Photoshop.

The only other possible issue lies in the drivers themselves, or the way Photoshop is communicating with the drivers. I recall Photoshop 10.0 (first CS3 release) had issues with Minolta color lasers, the image would print with messed-up geometry. The 10.01 update patch fixed that within weeks of the CS3 release. You may want to look into CS updates/patches, or updates to the printer drivers.

The files provided here are most definitely right-angle square.

10-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Free Member

Never thought the laser printer wan an issue. The top auto-feed jammed the other day b/c I didn't remove a page on the platen glass. I'll check the rollers.
I appreciate your rapid responses. So rare on these user group sites. As a professional, a rapid response means someone on the other end is actually reading posts. Bravo to you and Digital faq.
10-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Ah -- there you go! Jams are often caused by debris in the printer, either as dust or flakes of paper jammed in something. It's not bad luck or poor design, as often blamed. The same dust/flakes can adjust the paper's alignment as it moved through the printer, resulting in the distorted print job you received.

Thanks for the kudos -- we aim to be above-average, when it comes to the quality of information found here.

11-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Free Member

I needed to design a case cover and being waaay short on graphic art skills, I downloaded this template:

Slim-DVD-Case-300dpi.rar

Try as I may, I can NOT get Photoshop (Elements 6.0, don't laugh) to print ALL of my cover. The dialog box keeps telling me that some cropping will occur. Paper's more than large enough, why the h*ll are we cropping the image?!?!? I do NOT have stock in neither the paper nor the toner company!!

And another problem:
Quote:
Ironically, the UnRarX installer comes inside of a ZIP file. Funny! Most of us use RAR because we're really not that fond of ZIP fles.
Yeah, hilarious. I use Vista, where the Windows .zip extraction tool is already installed as a shell extension (and it's paid for...) Why am I buying a license to use WinRAR?? I really liked the template provided here (thank you, King Admin!) and would like to eventually try others, but I'm effectively working on borrowed time!

Okay, so I'm angry.
Maybe you could suggest a thing or two to assist?
In advance, thank you...
11-10-2009, 09:32 PM

Print size issues are almost always related to the printer itself. Many consumer printers need to have a half inch or more of non-printable area. In most cases, when discussing DVD cases, the issue is in the length. The easy solution is to use 8.5x14 legal-sized paper.

Photoshop Elements 6 may also need an update. My first version of Photoshop CS3 (10.0) had print-related bugs, and the 10.01 update fixed it. See if there are updates for you at adobe.com

WinRAR is forever-trial software. Although the documentation says you're supposed to uninstall it or buy it after 30 days, there's no mechanism forcing you to do so. The software continues to function years after it has "expired". I actually have a legitimate free registered copy from giveawayoftheday.com, when it was free a few years ago.

As a free alternative to WinRAR, you can also use the freeware 7-zip.

01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Free Member

I can't figure this out...
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Just lost the original reply to this (oops), so re-answering this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
I can't figure this out...
Not sure which part you're having issues with.

1. Downloading? You're already a member, so downloading should be easy. You've already figured out the registration and login portion.

2. Using the .rar/.zip files? There are instructions in the first post if you re-read it. Direct link to zip/rar instructions.

3. Using the PSD/JPEG files? You'll need to use Photoshop for PSD files. The JPEG images can be used in other programs, but you'll lose out on the Photoshop guides. Teaching Photoshop isn't really the purpose of this exact thread. Open a new topic (and upgrade to Premium Member) if you want some one-on-one advice on using Photoshop. Or you could try the book "Photoshop For Dummies" @ Amazon.com

Thanks!

08-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Free Member

When I try to download it just downloads a html file called "All-DVD-Cases.rar.html"
Im on the mac
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Free Member

Have the same problem. The file however is a rar-file.
Just remove the html extension and you have the rar-file
The following users thank hbommel for this useful post: kpmedia (09-08-2010), lordsmurf (09-27-2010)
10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Free Member

Here is a link to the ones I use - cd and dvd templates.
They are photoshop and I think Indesign too. I will have to take a look at the ones for download and see how they work