Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I have finished my video digitizing project and I'm selling my gear. To keep things simple I'll be making one post per item. This item was used in a non-smoking home and well taken care of. This item is in working order, with no known major defects. See details below for more information and pictures. Please review the details and pictures carefully before deciding to purchase the item.

Description
This switcher is in great condition. It's essential if you have more than once VCR or several pieces of gear in your chain. It allows you to send any input to any output, which allows you to record to multiple capture cards at once if you desire. I used it to switch between multiple VCRs, toggle the TBC off and on, and send video to my broadcast monitor as well as my capture card. The possibilites here are endless. This item was originally purchased from Tom Grant Photo.

Item Details
SignVideo 8x8 S-Video Switcher SV-88
* Instructions
* Power cable
* 5x S-Video cables
* 2x RCA audio cables
* 2x RCA cables

Weight: 7 lbs
Dimensions: 14" x 10" x 8"

Payment
Cost: $220 + s/h
Payment via PayPal.

Shipping
The item will be shipped from the 22203 zip code. The shipping will be the responsibility of the buyer. Please use the weight, dimensions, and above zip code to calculate the shipping cost before you decide to buy. Local pickup is also available if you are in the area.

All items are well packed, in several layers of bubble wrap, and packed with peanuts.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2873.jpg (48.0 KB, 22 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_2874.jpg (50.4 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_2875.jpg (58.2 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_2877.jpg (66.2 KB, 13 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Free Member

Orbit, as a newbie here, I'm still learning a number of things. You mention using this to "toggle TBC On/Off" - does this have it's own TBC included? if so, how does it compare to some of the standards, or if not, how are you toggling (an external) TBC?

Thanks.
09-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Free Member

Hi, there is no TBC in this device. What I meant by that is you can bypass the TBC by quickly switching inputs on the device. This allows you to test with the TBC and then also test without it. This can be useful in certain situations if the TBC is having a negative affect on the tape. I did have this happen with one or two of my tapes where it was better without the TBC. I'm not sure why this was, but this was just an example to highlight the functionality provided. You can substitute TBC for any other device in your chain.

Cheers!
09-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Ok. That's what I thought the answer would be, but wanted to be sure as I'm trying to find a good TBC. Just getting into this and have picked up a few good components already.

1. Panasonic DMR-ES15 from my local Goodwill (before I knew about it's TBC-lite capabilities) for $5
2. JVC SR-MV45 for about $160
3. JVC HR-S8000U for $135
4. JVC DR-M10S DVDR for $55

I realize that some of these may not pan out given the sources, but I'm working on building a setup that should serve me well, and was just hoping I had managed to find a switch box w/ a TBC in it for $220. (I know, hope is not a strategy, but I thought it might be worth a shot).

Thanks anyway.
09-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Hi, there is no TBC in this device.
Somebody PM'd me this question. Yes, confirmed, this item is NOT a TBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthassell View Post
Ok. That's what I thought the answer would be, but wanted to be sure as I'm trying to find a good TBC. Just getting into this and have picked up a few good components already.
1. Panasonic DMR-ES15 from my local Goodwill (before I knew about it's TBC-lite capabilities) for $5
2. JVC SR-MV45 for about $160
3. JVC HR-S8000U for $135
4. JVC DR-M10S DVDR for $55
What you have is either
- a good start
- or a cross-fingers-and-pray corners-cutting workflow that may or may not work as needed

1. ES15 = half of TBC(ish), best used as anti-tearing device
2. MV45 can be fine. Age and use history matters most. And many/most that you find "in the wild" are hosed, usually from schools or government, F/C/B- on my grading scale.
3. Not overly useful, maybe to rewind tapes, non-capture preview, etc.
4. Excellent at 1-hour XP and 3-hour FR180 for converting tapes directly to DVD. This is an LSI-based unit, best for tapes. (There are better Zoran-based for non-VHS recordings.)

Good capture card and TBC are all that are really needed here, to complete the workflow.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Free Member

LordSmurf, thank you for that feedback.

While, as you can see, I just joined here, and discovered the site just last week, you have truly created a wealth of knowledge here.

I also came in at just the time you had your hospital visit(s), so let me also wish you well and a solid, if not speedy, recovery.

I actually have a capture card, though I don’t know if it’s any good. It’s been in my PC for so long I’m not sure of the model - it reports as an ATI DTV Wonder, and when I start to arrange the gear as it arrives, I’ll be opening up the PC to confirm and validate.

I’m certainly not looking to cut corners, and realize that I may / will need to look at procuring more / different decks, possibly a different capture card, and I’ve been trying to find a decent TBC.

Only thing new I’ve been able to locate is a TVone 1T-TBC-GL, and a number of used, condition unknown ones such as a BrightEye 5 Analog Composite TBC/Frame Sync, Cygnus AltaGroup TBC, and leitech 575 or 475 units.

What are you thoughts on any of these?
09-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthassell View Post
What are you thoughts on any of these?
Check other marketplace listing for available TBCs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-11-2020, 03:51 PM
Free Member

Bump, the unit is still available.

Let me know if you have any questions! I found this to be very helpful when working with multiple VCRs, TBCs, monitors, etc.