Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-10-2019, 05:48 AM
Free Member

I want to digitise some 8mm tapes in good quality. I have an elgato video capture device but the files i get from the software it comes with are terrible. So i found out about virtual dub after some research and it sounds perfect for the job. However i can not get the elgato capture card to work with virtual dub. When i select the elgato from the device menu i get a blank signal. But if i select the "Windows WDM image capture" it shows the video source but it's stuck at 15 frames and i can't use the capture pin option to change the settings.

Been trying for hours, i would really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Unconfirmed User

For starters, have you gone thru all the settings in the Virtualdub capture guide?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html
09-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
It might help if we knew what model Elgato device you're using. But I can tell you straightaway that we have never recommended anything marketed by Elgato for this work. Likely we never will. Their a/v products appear to be rebrandings of inferior equipment and software that doesn't give very good performance to start with. Is there any particular reason why you want to stick with that line?

Also, Elinder raised a good point about the referenced capture guide.
09-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the replies. ELinder thanks for that resource I check over everything and I’m doing what it says but still no luck. Still get no video source when I select the elgato.
Sanlyn it doesn’t have a specific model number it’s just marked “Elgato video capture”. I also own a diamond vc500 as well but couldn’t get that working either (ran into the same problem) so I bought the elgato to see if it would work.
09-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Unless you have a defective VC500 it should work the same way thousands of other vc500's work. Can't answer for Elgato, but if MS-WDM is the only format you can capture it it would indicate that you don't have capture drivers installed correctly and/or something is amiss with your Virtualdub install. I doubt that both capture devices would be defective. If you are using 64-bit components with 32-bit software or vice-versa, that won't work, either.

Virtualdub can be uninstalled by going to the VDub program folder and running auxsetup.exe. All it does is remove registry entries -- the program folder and plugins remain as-is. To re-install with fresh registry entries, run virtualdub.exe again.
09-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Free Member

So i went back to the vitualdub download page on their website and noticed it says "If the "list mirror" links are coming up as zip files, your browser is misconfigured, as it is ignoring the Content-Type: text/html declaration from the server."
Everytime i try to download VirtualDub it downloads as a zip file. Is that okay? or do i need to reconfigure my browser settings. If so how do i do that? Sorry don't know a lot about the technical side of things.
09-11-2019, 05:44 AM
Free Member

Yeah virtualdub is distributed as zip files normally. The official virtualdub website is quite ancient and probably hasn't been updated in years. The note about zip files may refer to some old issue with sourceforge that is no longer there.

Are you on windows 10?

I've had some issues with on one computer recently after one of the big windows updates, something makes the video overlay not work, which affects virtualdub and other capture apps that use it. It seemed to have something to do with the nvidia graphics card, when connecting the monitor to the integrated graphics things worked better. It may help to select the "preview/display with filters"(depending on version) option under the "video" menu, then under "device -> device settings" set "save current display mode as default" and then restart virtualdub.

Alternatively, you could try with AmarecTV instead and see if it works as it doesn't use overlay by default. It's a bit more clunky to use though.
09-14-2019, 12:37 AM
Free Member

Still no luck at at all. I have tried both the 32 and 64 bit version of Virtual Dub but still nothing. Now virtual dub keeps crashing after i select capture avi. I just don't understand why neither of my capture cards are working with virtual dub. Is there an alternative software or method i could try? Getting very desperate.

Tags
analog to digital, capture card, virtualdub, virtualdub capture