09-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Free Member

Hi All,

So I picked up a Panasonic DMR-EZ49V in a junk shop the other day. Can't believe that it records DVD-R with LPCM Audio in XP Mode.

So, I transfer a lot of old Music VHS, usually the type that never saw DVD-Video and always want lossless Audio.

VHS plays back Hi-Fi Audio perfect? Can't believe it

AV3 In, in the picture, is not significant, I'm on about direct VHS > DVD-R copy using only the DMR-EZ49V

Is this a worthwhile machine, for direct transfer, meaning I drop the Panasonic DMR-ES10 that I have for a intermediate TBC or should I hang onto it and keep capturing to my Windows Se7en Desktop PC?

Lossless LPCM is more important that video quality to me, by the way ;

thanks in advance for any info on this combo device.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-23-2019, 03:01 PM
Free Member

You might want to read up on the EZ "series" around the web, on some other sites they mention finalizing discs and editing as being a major pain, if not flawed.

But you have a special need for LCPM.. so perhaps it could be an exception in this case.
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: bar72 (09-24-2019)
09-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Free Member

Depends what you're comparing it to. This deck is essentially a VHS player with a DVD-Recorder permanently attached (likely via composite video), with the positives and negatives that entails. It seems to lack S-Video output but does have HDMI out instead. If you mean using a DMR-ES10 with this one it won't stabilize the signal any since the video already has been digitized (and output back to analog on the composite and RGB outputs) in the VCR combo. Since it has HDMI output you may be able to capture directly from that to a computer too.

You would have to test really to see how well it works compared to a different setup.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: bar72 (09-24-2019)
09-23-2019, 04:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
This item does not have, nor double as, a timebase corrector.

It's just a cheap low-end combo DVD recorder with a really crappy VCR inside. You'll have all sorts of timing errors, including wiggly image and chroma noise.

BTW, LPCM may not be uncompressed from start to finish, meaning an intermediary step compressed it first, before extracting back out to LPCM for storage. I've seen this happen on other devices.

If uncompressed audio matters most, go the capture card route, using a quality audio card like Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: bar72 (09-24-2019)
09-24-2019, 03:23 AM
Free Member

thanks to all for clearing things up for me. Only paid 20GPB so no great loss ;. Back to the old capture card then for true LPCM. Thanks for the info on that Lordsmurf, didn't release that intermediate compression occurs on some players.

By the By, can Chroma Noise be fixed using avisynth scripts, post-transfer?

Tags
capture, dmr-ez49v, panasonic, transfer