Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Free Member

Hi people!

Browsing for old equipment, I found this Sony DSC-1024 wich is a standar converter but it has some extra features.

Has anybody use or had one? Opinions? Suggestions?

Brochure

Attached Files
File Type: pdf sony-dsc-1024g-brochure.pdf (445.1 KB, 8 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Used one? No.
Heard of it before now? Probably, but forgot about it.

Genlock isn't TBC, but sometimes genlock refers to TBC+genlock. Documentation is rarely written by the engineers, but by the marketing dept, so sometimes hard to know when TBC+GL is the case.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, always assume any TBC/genlock is inert on a formats converters unless undergoing format conversion. In other words, NTSC>NTSC = no TBC/genlock. But PAL>NTSC or NTSC>PAL = TBC/genlocks active. Most non-converted signals went into a bypass mode, and it bypassed everything. Some of the brochure text leads me to believe this is the case, as you normally see.

This box appears to be pretty useless, typical unneeded broadcaster gear that serves nobody any modern purpose.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2019, 02:04 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Used one? No.
Heard of it before now? Probably, but forgot about it.

Genlock isn't TBC, but sometimes genlock refers to TBC+genlock. Documentation is rarely written by the engineers, but by the marketing dept, so sometimes hard to know when TBC+GL is the case.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, always assume any TBC/genlock is inert on a formats converters unless undergoing format conversion. In other words, NTSC>NTSC = no TBC/genlock. But PAL>NTSC or NTSC>PAL = TBC/genlocks active. Most non-converted signals went into a bypass mode, and it bypassed everything. Some of the brochure text leads me to believe this is the case, as you normally see.

This box appears to be pretty useless, typical unneeded broadcaster gear that serves nobody any modern purpose.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Thx, blue. Yeah I was thinking the same but I never saw a standar converter with these features. Called my attention at least. For what I have read'd online, seems that it was meant mostly for old projectors.

After some googling, the japanese manual (translated) says:
Quote:
When using the line doubler function, an input source device with a TBC (Time Base Corrector) is recommended. If a signal without TBC is converted with a line doubler and projected on a multi-scan monitor, the video may disappear due to a disturbance of synchronization.
I might buy it for cheap just to play with it.

Also theres a Nec Scan Converter Idc 3000 but seems more useless than this. Altought some video forums posts says nice things about it's picture quality.
10-12-2019, 02:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I see no benefit, nothing to play with here.

Most players understand PAL or NTSC worldwide these days, only analog was confused. And then formats conversion is far superior done correctly in Avisynth, or even with the semi-sloppy methods found in old guides (including one that I wrote years ago, guide found on this site).

I can think of better uses for extra video-play money.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
1024, dsc, sony