10-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem on my hands.

Around a year ago I purchased a Goodman’s VCR, for an extremely low price, it took a while to get here but when it did come the VCR worked great. Not perfect picture but passable so I was happy.

Last time I used the VCR was back in August, and I wanted to capture a new tape, so I plugged it into the voltage converter, fired it up, and no output, the VCR works fine but I can’t get an output. I used 2 different Scart To RCA converters (which worked) and nothing! I’ve connected to a USB to VCR capture cable, a DVD burner, and even feeding it through my NTSC VCR and nothing. Anyone know a fix for this? I don’t want to buy a new VCR, thanks.

If needed I can take pictures, thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Free Member

Providing the model number of the VCR will help people to help.

VCRs and SCART usually require first pluging into the correct SCART for TV out, not EXT for SAT box input and making sure the VCR is in correct output mode.. usually not RGB/YUV mode because that mode re-uses the same pins for s-video and composite ouput.

If using an SCART with a direction switch in/out things get much much more complicated since the possible wrong modes multiply.

If its a UK model then you will have s-video and composite connection ports and those are simpler to use.

The tape played also has to match the VCR playback capability NTSC/PAL/SECAM and it has to be put in that configuration.

The video capture device also has to be told what format your capturing in.. NTSC/PAL/SECAM

There is simply too much for us to guess at without knowing at least the model of the VCR and the type of SCART connector and the name/model of capture device.
10-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
Providing the model number of the VCR will help people to help.

VCRs and SCART usually require first pluging into the correct SCART for TV out, not EXT for SAT box input and making sure the VCR is in correct output mode.. usually not RGB/YUV mode because that mode re-uses the same pins for s-video and composite ouput.
thanks for reply, model no is VN9000,

It has 2 scart outputs, euroav1, and euroav2 decoder.
10-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Free Member

The euroav1 connector is the output SCART connector, that is the one to connect to your video capture device.

The euroav2 connector is the input SCART connector..don't use it.

If the video recorder can playback you should be able to see a signal when playing a tape from the video capture application on the PC. The euroav2 connector cannot be used to see the video signal on a TV or monitor while the video capture device is connected to euroav1.

That is a very old 4 Head VCR with NICAM sound. It is far from optimal for transferring VHS tapes to video capture files.

If you can it would be better to find a different VCR for playback.

The Recommended brands and models for PAL or SECAM can be found in the PAL/SECAM Buyers Guide

Click on the underlined link to take you to the Postings on this forum to learn about them.

VCRs are very old now they have not been made for many years, their components age and degrade even when not turned on and used. A VCR put away and saved for use later may not work when its taken out and set up for use.

The Goodman may have degraded to the point where it can no longer playback tapes and produce a video signal.If after connecting it up you still cannot get a video signal for capture. The best course of action would be to find one of the better VCRs, obtain that and connect it up to see if you get a signal and by that way verify the Goodman is no longer useful.

There are few people left who remember how to repair very old VCRs, and the costs if you can find someone to do the work are usually greater than the value of the VCR.
10-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Free Member

Thank you for your help.