Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Free Member

Hi Ls, I got the TBC, it works great. However, it does soften image a bit compared to the original. I am currently having this issue with my JVC vcs 9600 and 9911. When TBC is on, the picture on the top becomes inclined to the right. Please see the picture

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MN...3srwpyZIMvyKUK

It does this for many tapes, and for many tapes it doesn't. But the ag decks don't do this with all the tapes I played with JVC. Could you download the photo and advise me. Thank you.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Before replying, this needs to be said: Remember to have perspective!
We're really nitpicking when we discuss tape/TBC softness. It's not as if the video is blurry. And in actuality, all SD video appears soft compared to modern HD video of the past 15+ years. It's visual perception that really doesn't deviate more than a pixel or two or three.

On to the explanation...

Softness from a DataVideo TBC (any TBC, including line TBCs internal to JVC/Panasonic decks) is often an caused by the tape itself.

It can also be an interplay issue amongst the hardware in the workflow. It can be anything from a model line to an exact unit.

To make matters more complex, sometimes tapes react softer to some workflow hardware, but not others.

There have been many reports over the years of DataVideo being "softer", but I rarely see the issue. In fact, I tested this exact TBC-1000, and had no such issues in testing. So again, it comes down to tapes and other workflow hardware. When it test TBCs for softness, I view the video at 2x-4x.

In general, Cypress has less softness reports, but it's not immune.

This is why anybody working with video at a serious level has (at minimum) both types of frame TBCs (DataVideo/Cypress), and both types of S-VHS decks (JVC/Pana). We can then pick the best hardware for the tape.

TBCs are processing video, and this cab be a byproduct of said processing. It's the nature of things. Of course, the net effect is better video. And in many cases, it's a must. (Don't be daft and quit using TBCs, which is how some low-knowledge users may falsely interpret this sort of post.)

The biggest issue I see from your image is that it has tearing, requiring an ES10/15. Line TBC might tackle that issue, frame TBC likely will not.

BTW, Panasonic at default settings is over-sharp. So never judge sharpness based off of it. There is visible ringing on Panasonic decks at the 0/unity sharpness settings.

And please attach sample images to threads, not Google Drive.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Free Member

I have ag1980p deck from Deter, also I have a brand new 9911. I got the datavideo TBC-1000 from you. Now I just got introduced to a few more new stuff I don't even hear about. What is ES10/10? What is Line TBC?
10-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Many posts already in the forum about the Panasonic DMR-ES10 and DRM-ES15 anti-tearing and TBC(ish). Search for those.

Line TBC corrects line-by-line, and that's what's in your 1980/9911 VCRs. That contrasts with frame TBCs, which correct at the whole-frame level. These do different tasks, In essence, line TBC cleans the image, while frame cleans the signal. You need both. For more advance timing issues that cause tearing, ES10/15 passthrough often needs to be used.

Do some more reading on the forum.
Also give this a read, if you haven't already: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Unconfirmed User

I have also had some tapes where no combination of VCR line TBC, full frame TBC, or EC-15 would completely correct that kind of error. Sometimes I'll have to turn off the VCR line TBC and use the “video stabilizer” setting, and that will help in those areas. When I do that there will be other areas that have problems not present in the other captures, and then I'll replace the bad frames only where needed by using different parts of different captures once I have the clips in Resolve, which is where I do my finishing. Even then, perfection isn't possible, but it's still better than the original.

Erich