Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Free Member

Hi, new guy here. I would like to ask some questions regarding my setup.
I have these 2 VCR's:

-Panasonic NV-FJ612F-S (Doesn't have TBC)

-Panasonic AG-4700EY (Has built in TBC)

--

I record using OBS and my capture device is Magix (Magix, rescue your video tapes is the product name)
The VHS cassettes I am trying to digitize are old family tapes written on PAL encoding.

Using OBS, a problem occurs that the audio will drift behind the picture at some point and this will only get worse as recording goes on. Restarting OBS seems to fix this but I'd rather have a more permanent fix to this problem which I am not really sure why it happens.

This also happens on virtualdub.

I don't have an external line TBC. I read the sticky on how DVD recorders don't really do the same job as external TBC's, but in my case, would it even hurt to use one? Don't really have the budget for an ext-line TBC.

And one more thing I'd like to ask, on some of my tapes on my no-TBC VCR the frames are skipping, same as in this guy's thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...s-capture.html

-Why does this happen? Is the tape about to die?
-Would a solid TBC foundation fix this?

Thanks for reading.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

The forum certainly doesn't recommend OBS or the capture card you're using. Not sure if OBS could be involved with any of the audio/video drift you are experiencing. However, a lack of an external frame TBC with a tape that has the timing issues you describe, audio drift is most likely to happen. If you are experiencing the curvy video in the example video from the thread you referenced, that is called flagging (I believe), and could benefit from something like a Panasonic ES10/15 passthru (be sure you get one that can handle PAL if that's what you are dealing with). But the jumpy video and the audio drift, are something that only an external frame TBC may be able to remedy. Maybe a different player (or the original recorder, if possible) may track the tape better. But if the tape is deteriorated enough, there may be no player that can solve it. I suppose we are also presuming that the player you have is decently calibrated (i.e. you play a pre-recorded tape and these problems go away). If a player is out of alignment, it could make it look like your tapes are worse than they are.

Of on a bit of a tangent... If the video jumps infrequently, you may be able to fix it (although it is time intensive) with some avisynth scripting that can be used to adjust the fields and frames to undo this, but it is a frame by frame trial and error type process. If it's jumping a lot, then you could drive yourself mad trying to fix it frame by frame. As far as audio fixing goes, I don't have experience there, but there is discussion on the forum about how you may be able to use some audio editing software to try and correct things. If you are able to switch to Virtualdub and read the capture guide on this forum, you may find some settings to try and help recover from drift type problems, but this is only to try and reduce the impact of the problem, not remove it entirely. No experience outside of Virtualdub, so unaware of any other capture software's settings.

Even further off on that tangent...

Even with a Line TBC and External TBC, I still get an occassional jump in a frame. I can usually fix it with some trial and error using this function in avisynth (but it quickly becomes absurd if you have 100s of frames doing this)

Code:
# You can make another version of this function by replacing SelectEven with SelectOdd and vice-versa
function ffadj(clip c, int firstframe, int lastframe, int fieldadj, int frameadj) {
   c.trim(firstframe, lastframe)
   SeparateFields()
   a=last
   e = fieldadj >= 0 ? Eval("""
   return a.SelectEven().crop(0,fieldadj,0,0).AddBorders(0,0,0,fieldadj)""") : Eval("""
   return a.SelectEven().crop(0,0,0,fieldadj).AddBorders(0,MulDiv(fieldadj,-1,1),0,0)
""")
   o=a.SelectOdd()
   b=Interleave(e,o)
   f = frameadj >= 0 ? Eval("""
   return b.Weave().crop(0,frameadj,0,0).AddBorders(0,0,0,frameadj)""") : Eval("""
   return b.Weave().crop(0,0,0,frameadj).AddBorders(0,MulDiv(frameadj,-1,1),0,0)
""")

c1a = c.trim(0,firstframe-1)
   c1c = c.trim(lastframe+1,0)
   result = c1a+f+c1c

return result
}

v=AVISource("input.avi")

AssumeTFF(v)
AssumeFrameBased(v)

# Adjust Frame #1350 by shifting the even field down 1 row (-1), and then shifting the whole frame (both even and odd fields together) up by 2 rows
ffadj(1350,1350,-1,2)

# Adjust Frames #1351 thru 1353 by shifting the whole frame down by 10 rows
ffadj(1351,1353,0,-10)

# Adjust Frame #1360 by shifting the Even field up by 2 rows
ffadj(1360,1360,2,0)

#How do you know what values to plug in? A lot of manual trial and error.
If you find this idea crazy, that's good, because it is! However, it's the only thing I know of that can even try and attempt to undo what a TBC couldn't. I do this on videos that have passed through both kinds of TBC, and maybe I get one frame every few minutes with a jump. But without external TBC, I would imagine it may quickly become too much to sustain for any noticeable size of video.

Best of luck to you!