Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Free Member

Something that has always bothered me about the SR-V10U is that it always displays video calibration when you first start a tape.

Is there a way to turn this off without actually turning the automatic calibration off? The manual is unclear.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/sv...ual/srv10u.pdf
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

It has been said many times on the forum that this is a feature that is poorly named and misleading, and should be disabled. If you search on this in forum, you'll probably find more, but here is an example thread with a response from lordsmurf that says it well http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...libration.html

Here is another example thread that goes over all the JVC SVHS settings, what they do and whether you should use them, also from lordsmurf http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-jvc-vcr.html

My experience with the JVC SVHS I used, derived from what I read on this forum, was just about everything was disabled, except for Picture Mode, which has the benefit of removing chroma noise (flecks of ugly incorrect color inside a larger solid color). There is debate amongst some as to which Picture Mode to use, but not as much on disabling most of the other settings. Some people notice too much softening of video even in the Auto/Norm Picture mode, but the only option would be to set it to Edit, which turns off the NR function that you payed a lot for when getting this high end equipment. Not to say you cannot. Some say you can remove much of the chroma noise with something like Camcorder Color Denoiser plugin in virtualdub. That's up to you to figure out what you prefer. Those that say this are typically those that favor Panasonic over JVC, because it preserves more detail. That is something that one should really decide on their own as well. I started out in JVC for economic reasons, and the concern over Panasonic 1980 stability. However, I've since switched to Panasonic because I observed more detail in some videos was preserved. I was able to afford a properly refurbished Panasonic 1980. However, I also noticed some more basic mid-90s Panasonic VCRs that cost much less also had better image detail (my view, at least), although it came without the NR to remove things like chroma noise. Anyway, off on a tangent.

Hope this helps.
The following users thank keaton for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-22-2020)
11-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Free Member

That is a huge help actually. I think I might have been too specific with my searches as I was only searching for JVC SR-V10U calibration display.

It is good to hear that the machine will still do tracking if I turn the video calibration off.
11-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Unconfirmed User

I've never been clear what the difference is in the NR people here say is used in the Picture Mode vs the NR linked with the digital TBC. My JVC-srv101us manual only says this about NR.

“ DIGITAL TBC/NR — ON/OFF
Your VCR is equipped with a Digital TBC (Time Base Corrector) that removes jitter from fluctuating video signals to deliver a stable picture even with old tapes and rental cassettes. The on/off of Digital — DNR (Noise Reduction) which cuts noise and enables clear picture reproduction is also linked to this function.”

Erich
11-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Free Member

Just to confirm though,

I should change the settings to:

V.Calibration OFF
Picture Control EDIT
Digital R3 OFF
Video Stabilizer OFF

It seems like there are mixed opinions on which JVC units are good to leave V Calibration on with. Do we know it sucks ont he JVC SR-V10U?
11-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

I cannot speak if your model would benefit at all from V Calibration on. I think one of those posts indicates it is rare for a model to benefit from that feature for capture.

Your settings are correct, except I believe when you set Picture Control to Edit Mode, it will disable the TBC/NR function. The TBC and NR functions are a package deal, and are either both enabled or disabled. I think you would be most advised to use Norm if you want to use the TBC and NR features. As lordsmurf has said, if you don't use TBC/NR, you've negated most of what you paid for by buying a JVC SVHS player. We've talked on this board extensively on the importance of at least the line TBC being necessary. If you are capturing animation, I think lordsmurf has commented before that Soft may be better than Norm in that case. As always, you are able to experiment and see what you like best.

Best of luck to you!
11-08-2019, 11:09 PM
Unconfirmed User

No, you're mixing up some functions. Selecting Edit picture mode does not disable the TBC/NR function. Digital TBC/NR and Video Stabilizer cannot be used at the same time. If you turn on the video stabilizer it disables the TBC/NR. So you want edit mode on and TBC/NR on. See page 18 of the SR-V10U user manual.

Erich
11-09-2019, 01:43 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
I've never been clear what the difference is in the NR people here say is used in the Picture Mode vs the NR linked with the digital TBC.
AUTO/NORM turns on spatial noise reduction even when the TBC/NR function is Off, and even on consumer-grade JVC VCRs with no TBC. It's a static smoothing filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
Selecting Edit picture mode does not disable the TBC/NR function
EDIT does disable luma noise reduction even when TBC/NR is On. Mild chroma noise reduction remains active. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post64723

My comments are based on samples posted here. I don't own a JVC S-VHS, but do have a D-VHS (JVC HM-DH5U). Those function differently: always-on TBC and always-on temporal chroma DNR. EDIT disables the spatial & temporal luma NR present in the other Picture modes. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...uto-load%21%5D
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: ELinder (11-09-2019)
11-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for responding. I haven't used a JVC in a while, so my memory was failing me on the differences between Norm and Edit. Nice to know the TBC is not disabled by Edit mode.
11-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks for the clarifications!

Erich