11-15-2019, 02:27 AM
Free Member

Hello, I am planning to use a VPN on my Samsung smart tv UN40N5200AF I want your guy's recommendation that which VPN works good on smart TVs and is VPN actually compatible with smart TVs? currently, I am considering PureVPN as they are offering 3 years subscription for $69, but I want to know should I go for it? and can I buy a VPN for my Samsung smart tv?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2019, 03:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
My preference for VPN is Private Internet Access (PIA).
Definitely nothing free, not Nord.
This is worth a read: https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-s...ymous-in-2019/
PureVPN doesn't even make their list, which raises eyebrows.

That all said, smart TVs being compatible with VPNs would be news to me. "Smart" TVs are generally pretty dumb, very basic, and go obsolete within a couple of years due to no real updates. I guess it really depends on the networking advanced features on the TV model.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

If your Smart TV is Android based, it's as simple as downloading the corresponding VPN client from the store. If not, you can always use a PC as a gateway and route all traffic through it. PureVPN is a good & reliable service as far as I know. Those lists are complete BS. You know you can't trust them when you look at the sponsorship list from all those sites lol All these sites are getting paid by all these VPN services to make it through their "top ten lists".
11-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem84 View Post
PureVPN is a good & reliable service as far as I know. Those lists are complete BS. You know you can't trust them when you look at the sponsorship list from all those sites lol All these sites are getting paid by all these VPN services to make it through their "top ten lists".
TorrentFreak is not biased in this way, and is primarily a news/journalistic outlet for all things related to copyright, DMCA, privacy, filesharing, legality/suits/court cases, etc. I'm guessing you didn't actually read that list? It's not BS, it's extremely thorough. It's not a "top 10", or any such nonsense list.

Similar to how this site is not biased by money when it comes to quality hosting companies, best DVD media, etc.

Not everybody can be corrupted by $$$$$, some reliable information still exists out there.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
TorrentFreak is not biased in this way, and is primarily a news/journalistic outlet for all things related to copyright, DMCA, privacy, filesharing, legality/suits/court cases, etc. I'm guessing you didn't actually read that list? It's not BS, it's extremely thorough.

Similar to how this site is not biased by money when it comes to quality hosting companies, best DVD media, etc.

Not everybody can be corrupted by $$$$$, some reliable information still exists out there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captura de pantalla 2019-11-16 a las 21.48.16.jpg (57.5 KB, 3 downloads)

Last edited by josem84; 11-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.
11-16-2019, 04:33 PM

You're seemingly (willingly?) confused. Having a site-wide sponsor doesn't change the nature of the article about VPNs. You're clearly still not reading the actual article.

For your convenience, from the intro:
Quote:
We don’t want to make any recommendations. When it comes to privacy and anonymity, an outsider can’t offer any guarantees. Vulnerabilities are always lurking around the corner and even with the most secure VPN, you still have to trust the VPN company with your data.
... we aim to provide an unranked overview of VPN providers, asking them questions we believe are important.
Many of these questions relate to anonymity and security, and the various companies answer them in their own words.
PureVPN does not make that list. Why? Unknown. And unknown is not good.
Quote:
We have included all VPNs that don’t keep extensive logs or block BitTorrent traffic on all of their servers. This list is not exhaustive.
VPNs can range from dangerous (selling info about you, spying on you, etc), to half-assed ("privacy" only until threatened or even requested, meaning logs are kept), to ignorant or shady (NordVPN is one of these, several breaches in 2017, and unusual relationships and ownerships).

People have too much blind faith in the letters "VPN", and do not really research what is going on. The TorrentFreak article aims to shed some light on those aspects.

Again, read it.

Stop being a conspiracist. If that's your attitude no information from anybody is to be trusted ever, and you may as well live in a cave "off the grid" while wearing a tinfoil hat 24/7/365. Even non-profits must have funding. Even the most ethical and earnest folks must have funding. And funding is not necessarily given with strings attached. So, for example, it means that the presence of a VPN ad on a news site about privacy does not mean that an article about VPNs was somehow influenced. Journalists have long had a separation between editorial and advertising. Yes, some sleezy places have dropped that wall, but not everybody has done so. Even an entity as unsavory and factually-challenged as Fox News, or The Wall Street Journal (Op/Ed section), doesn't allow ad to leech into editorial (political ads excluded).

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-16-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
You're seemingly (willingly?) confused. Having a site-wide sponsor doesn't change the nature of the article about VPNs. You're clearly still not reading the actual article.
I’m very confused… yeah. Being working 20+ years in the IT field is nothing compared to the vast knowledge held by the guys over at TorrentFreak which, by the way, is just a regular blog site on the Internet. It’s not “The Guardian”.

Quote:
For your convenience, from the intro:
PureVPN does not make that list. Why? Unknown. And unknown is not good.
VPNs can range from dangerous (selling info about you, spying on you, etc), to half-assed ("privacy" only until threatened or even requested, meaning logs are kept), to ignorant or shady (NordVPN is one of these, several breaches in 2017, and unusual relationships and ownerships).
What you seem to forget is that many of these “well regarded” services spend big money on advertising. That’s why they rank so high on these lists, not because they’re actually the best.

Quote:
People have too much blind faith in the letters "VPN", and do not really research what is going on. The TorrentFreak article aims to shed some light on those aspects.

Again, read it.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I’m bookmarking that blog post, it will definitely help me in the future. I have to recert my CCIE next year.
11-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
What you seem to forget is that many of these “well regarded” services spend big money on advertising.
"well regarded" and "well known" is not the same thing. Ads/money can buy being known, but not regard. Reputation and trust are rarely purchasable, though many try (usually in vain ... or worse, meaning it backfires on them).

PIA is what we've used for years now. That decision wasn't based on ads or fake splogs. And we re-evaluate that decision annually.

BTW, I see NordVPN is back in the news again. I known Nord from all the hyperbolic TV ads -- and the news stories about them being exploited, continually hacked, and their overall shady octopus entanglements with 3rd parties.

Advertising has near-zero effect on me, because I look deeper. NordVPN stinks, PureVPN stinks. Software, capture cards, blank media, etc -- we look for the quality here, the "regard". Their ad money is mostly just them pissing in the wind. We don't choose VPNs based on ads, and at most only get awareness of a company existing due to the ads.

PureVPN is Hong Kong operated, meaning China. PureVPN keeps logs. (Supposedly, as of a few months ago, they claim to no longer keep logs, but that remains to be seen. The claim is dubious, especially given the logging policies of China. I call BS, as do most others.) There's nothing more to say about that. Keeping logs makes VPNs semi-pointless. Why pay a 3rd party to spy on you, when the ISP can do that for free? It's arguable that even some ISPs are more privacy-oriented than some VPN services out there. Outrageous!

Quote:
TorrentFreak which, by the way, is just a regular blog site on the Internet. It’s not “The Guardian”.
I sometimes like The Guardian, but it's really not a benchmark of journalistic quality, especially in more recent years. It's a semi-tabloid (British tabloid, not US tabloid aka utter nonsense). They can be factually-challenged at times, or prone to hyperbole. So, in that sense, it's "just a blog" as well.

11-17-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
PureVPN is Hong Kong operated, meaning China. PureVPN keeps logs. (Supposedly, as of a few months ago, they claim to no longer keep logs, but that remains to be seen. The claim is dubious, especially given the logging policies of China. I call BS, as do most others.) There's nothing more to say about that. Keeping logs makes VPNs semi-pointless. Why pay a 3rd party to spy on you, when the ISP can do that for free? It's arguable that even some ISPs are more privacy-oriented than some VPN services out there. Outrageous!
Come on dude... that's part of their marketing BS. Don't be naive. Mark my words... every VPN service keeps logs. There's no way you can run a service like that without keeping logs. Every sysadmin knows this. Those VPN services that claim to not keep logs are straight out lying to you.

Last edited by josem84; 11-17-2019 at 02:39 PM.
11-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Come on dude... that's part of their marketing BS. Don't be naive. Mark my words... every VPN service keeps logs. There's no way you can run a service like that without keeping logs. Every sysadmin knows this. Those VPN services that claim to not keep logs are straight out lying to you.
It's entirely possible to not log.

In 2016, this was tested on PIA: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-provide...i-case-160312/

Inversely, other services do lie.
For example, PureVPN: https://www.extremetech.com/internet...ternet-stalker

Multiple VPN services have been audited by 3rd parties to verify their claims.

Not logging literally takes less energy and time than setting up logging. I do not understand why you think otherwise.

11-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
It's entirely possible to not log.
No, it's not. For optimization & security purposes you need to log, period. What's on debate here is if the business in question will allow authorities to access the logging data... But telling your customers that you don't keep logs is a straight out LYE.
11-25-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
No, it's not. For optimization & security purposes you need to log, period.
Are you familiar with how logging works?

You can choose:
- to log everything
- to log nothing
- to log only what you want to log

A log is just record keeping. You don't write down what isn't needed. You can log non-identifying data for both optimization and security. IP address logging is not required to log those.

11-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with how logging works?

You can choose:
- to log everything
- to log nothing
- to log only what you want to log

A log is just record keeping. You don't write down what isn't needed. You can log non-identifying data for both optimization and security. IP address logging is not required to log those.
IP address logging is absolutely necessary. You need the data for bandwidth optimization, security reasons... I'm going to end the discussion here. It's just a waste of time... I told you I've been working in the IT field for 20 years. I told you I'm a CCIE engineer but you simply don't care... you want to be the smartest dude around and you simply don't know what you're talking about. Go ask an expert in the field instead of posting some Internet crap written by nobodies.

Last edited by josem84; 11-25-2019 at 07:40 AM.
11-25-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'm a CCIE engineer but you simply don't care...
Nope. I'm not easily impressed by credentials, especially certs. I want to see command of the subject matter, not pretty wallpaper. I've seen certified "experts" that didn't know the difference between a VPN and a VPS (seriously).

IT is an ever-changing field, with many niches, and so I don't expect anybody to know everything anyway. However, don't pretend you do (ala Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory, Mr. Expert of everything that doesn't know what Radio Head is). I've been doing IT tasks for about 25 years now, some of which involved cutting-edge hardware and software. I'm far from expert on everything, but I do know some things about some things. VPNs is one of said things.

Again, the no-log status has been independently audited and verified, as well as legally tested. PIA, amongst others, has no identifying logs of user activity. To say otherwise, and insist everybody is lying about logging, is just wacky conspiracy theory.

I agree, this is getting off-topic, we've scared off the OP.

11-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

... and we're done.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Closed Thread