Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-19-2019, 05:21 AM
Free Member

Please let me introduce myself: my name is Pablo, I am from Spain.

I want to convert my family's collection of VHS and VHS-C tapes (approximately 50). To do so, I will start using basic equipment see the output and if we are not happy with the quality, we will add more equipment till we have the desired quality.

- PAL VHS-C tapes were recorded using a Panasonic NV-A3E (unfortunately the camcorder does not work)
- As far as I know our PAL VHS tapes do not have copyright protection

I am planning to buy the following equipment to start:

- Blaupunkt RTV 950
- Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD Recorder

Connections:

- Blaupunkt RTV 950 - Rear panel: S-VIDEO OUT -> Panasonic DMR-ES10 - Front Panel: S VIDEO IN
- Blaupunkt RTV 950 - Rear panel: R - AUDIO - L OUT -> Panasonic DMR-ES10 - Front Panel: L/MONO-AUDIO IN-R
- Panasonic DMR-ES10 - Rear panel Y Pb Pr and AUDIO L R -> Samsung TV UE40MU6405UXXC - COMPONENT IN / AV IN

The plan:

1- Use Panasonic Cassette adaptor VW-TCA7E for the VHS-C tapes
2.- Rewind VHS tape
3.- Record DVD using Panasonic DMR-ES10

Is it a good way to start? What is your opinion on the equipment? Any settings recommendations for the Blaupunkt RTV 950 and Panasonic DMR-ES10?

Many thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-19-2019, 06:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
"copyright protection" is really the wrong term, that refers to the legal and not the technical. What you refer to is anti-copy, of which Macrovision is the primary. Furthermore, anti-copy is an artificial video error, and both fake and legit errors can trip up devices that "obey" (look for) anti-copy signals to disallow copying. Both PAL and NTSC have anti-copy.

Without looking at my own guide, I believe the Blaupunkt RTV-950 is essentially the AG-1970 (NTSC model), with TBC, and should be fine.

The ES10/15 is half a TBC(ish), a minimalist TBC(ish), which somewhat corrects the signal (when VCR TBC on). Or will correct some line, and frame (minimally), if VCR TBC off. Given the source, and proposed setup, you may or may not be fine, may or may not run into capture problems with just the ES10/15. The key missing piece is the full frame TBC, or at very least the other half of the TBC(ish) aka the DataVideo DVKs. The PAL ES10 is stronger than ES15. BTW, I do have an already-modded (for capture) DVK in the marketplace.

You want all s-video.

Panasonic recorders are lousy at recording, even at XP. The ES10/15 is useful as a TBC(ish), not recorder. Something else needs to be used for recording, be it another DVD recorder or a capture card.

That VHS-C adapter should be fine, essentially JVC CP7U type unit.

That old camcorder would have given lousy playback quality, you're not missing out on anything.

And remember, well-cared-for good equipment retains value, so buy it, use it, resell it. It's a project purchase, not a forever purchase. So don't skimp on the gear (TBCs, etc). Your family will thank you for it someday.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-19-2019, 07:27 AM
Free Member

Thanks @lordsmurf for your reply.

What do you think about the following?

I can try first using:

- Blaupunkt RTV 950 (does it have line TBC?)
- JVC DR-M10 DVD - Record DVD

If things do not go as planned (poor quality), I will add the full frame TBC:

- Blaupunkt RTV 950
- AVT-8710 (Green)
- JVC DR-M10 DVD - Record DVD

Is it worth to use a DVD recorder? Or is it better to work only with a USB Capture Card (my PC does not have PCIe slots)?

Many thanks
11-19-2019, 07:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

The 2-device chain of Blaupunkt RTV 950 > JVC DR-M10 DVD will probably fail, but not because of either device not being quality. Some sort of TBC must exist in the middle, be it the minimal TBC(ish) ES10/15 or the more ideal frame TBCs from DataVideo or Cypress/AVT.

Yes, Blaupunkt RTV 950 is a clone/rebadge of Panasonic NV-FS200, so line TBC is there.

JVC DR-M10 is an outstanding recorder, especially for VHS sources. I own multiple JVC LSI chipped units for this reason, a pair of which are the M10.

Some USB cards are quality, but it depends on OS, as well as the intended project goals. If the goal is to NOT restore (not needed), or NOT edit (just archive as-is), and you don't want large files on HDDs, then DVD is fine. I often use DVD recorders for my hobby, cartoons and commercials. For my family home movies, I captured many to high bitrate MPEG with an ATI AIW card -- but to share with family, I had to convert copies back to a DVD. Capture card vs. DVD recorder is a choice about long-term archive, editing, and restoration choices. I do, of course, capture some things lossless, both hobby and family, because the fun project demanded it. (For work, professionally, I mostly do/did lossless capturing.)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: dknoll (11-22-2019)
11-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Free Member

Thanks lordsmurf.

Looking for a Blaupunkt RTV 950, I found two versions: Blaupunkt RTV 950 and Blaupunkt RTV-950 PC GSE RAPID.

Are they both capable of reading PAL VHS tapes? Are there any substantial differences between them? Which one do you recommend?
11-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Free Member

The Blaupunkt RTV 950 is equal to the Panasonic FS-200 (different buttons...). The PC version of the RTV 950 has a serial connection for an pc and a little bit more equipment for editing as the default RTV950. Which is useless this days.
11-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Free Member

Thanks Bogilein.

I will take a step-by-step approach to meeting our quality demands. So, first I will buy the Blaupunkt RTV 950.

I am still thinking about USB Capture Card or DVD Recorder. Would it be possible to connect the USB Capture Card to the Blaupunkt RTV 950?
11-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Can it correct directly? Yes.
Will connecting it directly, without any sort of TBC, result in good quality, or a good capture experience. Highly unlikely.