Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-28-2020, 07:10 PM
Unconfirmed User

Hello,

I have about 1,000 VHS tapes that I would like to preserve in a digital format. The tapes are mostly homemade recordings of old paranormal themed TV shows, historic news broadcasts, political shows, and TV movies. A lot of stuff I recorded as a kid/teenager, basically.

I'd like to convert the tapes to MPEG-2 so I have the option of burning to DVDR if I want. However, I realize that MPEG-2 is not the best quality format, so I'm thinking I'd like to make an additional copy in H.264.

So, here is what I currently have equipment-wise and planned for a basic workflow.

VCRs: JVC SR-V101US, Panasonic AG-1980P

I figure I can switch between the two depending on what works better for the given tape. Generally, I have found that the JVC handles SP mode tapes better and the Panasonic is better for EP and LP mode recordings. The tracking seems a lot better on the Panasonic for those tapes recorded at slower speeds. However, this is not a hard and fast rule.

TBC: DataVideo TBC 1000

Capture Card: ATI TV Wonder HD 600

Software: Virtualdub 1.9 (LordSmurf version posted here), Huffyuv64, TotalCode Studio 5.0.

My plan is to capture to AVI using Virtualdub and Huffyuv.

Then, I'll use Virtualdub to trim content and mask the overscan area. Given the large number of tapes, I don't think I'll do much restoration.

Finally, drop this file into TotalCode Studio and create two versions: one MPEG-2 and one H.264.

All that said, does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Offhand, I'd like some pointers on the optimal settings for TotalCode Studio.

Also, VCR playback settings for the JVC (I know some of the basics like TBC on, Edit mode, Video Calibration off, Digital R3 off).

Finally, does anyone know the precise dimensions used by ATI Multimedia Center for masking the overscan area when capturing direct to MPEG-2 (I used to use this software a lot) so I can replicate something similar with Virtualdub?

I can ask these questions individually in the proper forums of the mods feel it would be more appropriate.

Thanks in advance!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2020, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

You've been reading the forum, and have some great gear!

Some thoughts from what I've read on the forum. Perhaps you have already read some of this advice in the forum.

MPEG-2 15 mbps is best. Naturally, DVD is limited to about 9 mbps. I haven't made blu-rays myself, but there's plenty on the forum about how blu ray supports an mpeg2 at 480 resolution and this "higher than DVD bit rate". Or if you are not going to disc, Hard Drive space is cheap, so don't skimp on bitrate. Many may argue with you on H264 being better. Mpeg2 can be either interlaced or progressive. Analog video compressed at 15 mbps seems to be pretty good archival quality and a bit of a diminishing returns point beyond that. Mpeg2 is still a broadcast standard. So, it's just that mp4/h264 has taken over with the dominance of the computer/internet domain for video. But in the disc and TV world, Mpeg2 seems the better choice. And with a player like VLC, I don't see why Mpeg2 cannot be played on computers just the same. I understand you won't have a lot of time for restoration when you have 1000 tapes to get through. But something worth noting is that VHS is rather noisy. If you were to denoise the video some (plenty of forum threads on that), you can get more for your bitrate, so to speak. If the video is just encoding he fuzz/noise you see, it will take more bitrate to encode it well. But with the noise reduced/removed, a variable rate encoder wouldn't need as much bitrate to preserve things.

H264 has to be progressive, I believe. There's a lot of sentiment on the forum about not deinterlacing the video to progressive and letting the player deinterlace your video for you. If you are not posting to the web, which often requires mp4 over mpeg2, then I could see why you need H264. Otherwise, the sentiment on the forum seems to favor keeping it interlaced in mpeg2. Naturally, it's your choice. Do it both ways and see what you prefer.

The version of TotalCode Studio I've got has some pre-settings you can start with such as DVD MPEG2 or Blu Ray MPEG2 or H264, etc. Then you can still tweak some settings after that. I don't recall tweaking much for a DVD, other than maximizing the bit rate. Others can chime in with more experience here.

As has been said before, after you trim the edges in post, but before adding a border back in to keep the 720x480 (assuming NTSC) aspect ratio, you can read on the forum how to use avisynth or virtualdub plugins, along with histograms to optimize the contrast (and also color if you want to spend the time) of the video so that it is not so washed out. Basically, try to get as much histogram coverage as you can so video is not too dark or too bright. Not a universal truth, but usually a good rule of thumb. Naturally, there's also talk on the forum about how you can preview the video before capture in Virtualdub with the edges cropped off, so you can adjust your brightness/contrast settings in the Levels menu so that you get a good spread of contrast, but without going into the red on the Virtualdub preview histogram with too dark or too bright of video levels. Also, you can use the audio preview to adjust your levels so you capture the audio to something not too quiet and not too loud. I try to set things so that the loudest point in the audio doesn't go beyond -6 db in the preview. Or maybe lower than this. But going higher can get tricky, as you cannot undo clipping of audio, but can always amplify it in Audacity or Sound Forge. But, of course, remove the video cropping before doing the actual capture. It's not always the case, but sometimes the video in the areas you would crop out after capture can have the darkest or the brightest levels. So, by cropping them out in a preview before capture you can get better capture levels.

Be sure to refer to this http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

Your JVC settings seem consistent with many other's advice on the forum.

No experience with ATI MMC. I only capture lossless and use Virtualdub.

Best of luck to you!
The following users thank keaton for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-20-2020)