Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-29-2020, 03:51 AM
Free Member

This is for a Panasonic VCR. Just recently the VCR started showing "snow" instead of video images which usually indicates dirty video heads.

I've previously successfully cleaned the video heads on this and on other VCR's using a soft clean cloth and alcohol based cleaning solution.

Unfortunately, on the Panasonic VCR, one of the two video heads is suspected of being "pushed back" into the video drum. Although not much pressure is applied to the video drum and heads while cleaning, it seems one of the video heads may have moved back (fractionally) inside the drum due to slightly excessive pressure applied on the cleaning cloth(?) Or possibly the video head may have been pushed back by a relatively dirty video tape which I had problems playing on this and on other VCR's which I have(?)

Is there any way to re-position the moved video head, or is a whole replacement video assembly (drum and heads) required?

Any one else have similar issue? How was it resolved?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Free Member

You can't just back off the head with a cleaning cloth unless the screw holding it is completely loose, even so the sealant holding it will probably prevent it from moving even the screw is loose, I believe the head is chipped, The only way to find out for sure is with a macro lens.
01-30-2020, 05:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
I've previously successfully cleaned the video heads on this and on other VCR's using a soft clean cloth and alcohol based cleaning solution.
That was a huge mistake.

Never use cloth of any kind.
You need foam and chamois, essentially non-cotton/cloth.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-31-2020, 04:14 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the comments.

I used a "synthetic chamois" (I think) type of material for cleaning, no cotton based product used.

On close look using 3.5x magnification reading/hobby glasses, it still appears as though the video head was pushed back just a fraction (maybe 0.25 ~ 0.5 mm). The head doesn't appear to be broken (I would expect to see clean bright metal or wires where any break occurred). So I don't know if it is possible to "pull" the video head back to its original position?

Comments?