02-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Free Member

Hi posting some info about Aja io hd that i have found and some pictures

itīs very sensitive to Lip sync problem if i do not use my DataVideo TBC-5000 then it can very easy get Lip sync but if the VHS tape is in very good condition then no need for tbc

i mean itīs much more sensitive to lip sync problems then my other cards

on newer Mac OSX i get lip sync problem from the start even if i use DataVideo TBC-5000 but itīs constant
throughout the film and the source is a dvd player but that happends maby 95% of the times and if im lucky i get perfect lip sync from the strart but that is only on the newer osx

Yosemite(10.10.5)=Works but Lip Sync problem from the start of the capture i use DataVideo TBC-5000
Mavericks(10.9.5)=Works but Lip Sync problem from the start of the capture i use DataVideo TBC-5000
Mountain lion(10.8.5)=Works best no Lip sync problem if i use DataVideo TBC-5000

it lookīs like Aja IO HD donīt care about macrovision encryption i did test to capture a tape that only my Matrox marvel G400TV can capture without TBC but it has the macrovision hack
but Aja IO HD did not have any problem to capture it i mean i did not use TBC in the capture chain

so itīs best to use Mountain lion(10.8.5) or older for the Aja IO HD and use the free aja vtr xchange capture program but to get the Appel Prores codec without installing Final Cut 7 i did this and itīs free

https://studioartist.ning.com/forum/...mac-if-you-don

i like the quality i see from the vhs captures i have done with the Aja IO HD maybe better then my Matrox MXO2 Le MAX on the dark movie scene maybe little more detail

this was the only site i did find pictures inside of the the Aja io hd https://ioclk.com/repair-photos-aja-io-hd/

i did open my Aja IO HD here is some picture of it

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic1.jpg (166.1 KB, 27 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic2.jpg (67.9 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic3.jpg (91.1 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic4.jpg (108.0 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic5.jpg (97.7 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic6.jpg (99.5 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic7.jpg (102.8 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic8.jpg (94.2 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic9.jpg (89.7 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic10.jpg (59.3 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic11.jpg (65.1 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic12.jpg (70.4 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic13.jpg (75.8 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic14.jpg (65.7 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg AJA_IO_HD_Pic15.jpg (82.2 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: png Appel_Prores_codec.png (20.7 KB, 9 downloads)

Last edited by jjdd; 02-21-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2020, 01:00 AM
Free Member

It could be more interesting comparison pictures of ajo/mxo2 in dark scenes.
02-22-2020, 02:09 AM
Free Member

The Big IO was also "split" into two siblings the IOLA and IOLD, basically a smaller Analog only version and a smaller Digital only version, works much the same way.

I found all three a lot of work to cable up and setup a workflow.. but your already playing with the MXO2, so unless your using the Matrox MXO2 mini.. same deal.. lots of studio grade cabling.

Its interesting, but Apple ProRes isn't as cracked up as it used to be.. and its a firewire workflow.. so then there's the firewire port problem even on later Mac's that can still run 10.8

I had fun playing around with the gear.. but its a rack mount solution really and needs a lab sized environment to keep from tripping over cables.

Have fun.
02-22-2020, 02:20 AM
Free Member

ginopilotino ok here is picture of Batman VHS and a test pattern picture VHS

i did use this avisynth code on Aja io hd and Matrox mxo2 to get everything on the Batman VHS but i did not use it on the test pattern vhs

Code:
ConvertToRGB32(matrix="PC.601",interlaced=true).ConvertToYUY2(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true)

the Batman vhs have macrovision so i have to use TBC5000 so the Matrox mxo2 can capture it but the Aja io HD i did one with and one without TBC5000

the Test pattern is without TBC5000

i did put a HD version of the Batman

Attached Images
File Type: png Matrox_MXO2_Batman_TBC5000.png (734.6 KB, 24 downloads)
File Type: png Aja_IO_HD_Batman_TBC5000.png (744.2 KB, 29 downloads)
File Type: png Aja_IO_HD_Batman_No_TBC5000.png (768.4 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: png Matrox_MXO2_PatternTest_NO_TBC5000.png (842.3 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: png Aja_IO_HD_PatternTest_NO_TBC5000.png (833.9 KB, 23 downloads)
File Type: jpg Batman_HD.jpg (35.5 KB, 20 downloads)

Last edited by jjdd; 02-22-2020 at 03:05 AM.
02-22-2020, 02:30 AM
Free Member

If I remember well, it’s the strage video with out of range black. May be aja use that informations and mxo2 not.
02-22-2020, 02:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The Big IO was also "split" into two siblings the IOLA and IOLD, basically a smaller Analog only version and a smaller Digital only version, works much the same way.

I found all three a lot of work to cable up and setup a workflow.. but your already playing with the MXO2, so unless your using the Matrox MXO2 mini.. same deal.. lots of studio grade cabling.

Its interesting, but Apple ProRes isn't as cracked up as it used to be.. and its a firewire workflow.. so then there's the firewire port problem even on later Mac's that can still run 10.8

I had fun playing around with the gear.. but its a rack mount solution really and needs a lab sized environment to keep from tripping over cables.

Have fun.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10378-aja-io-hd.html#ixzz6EfaVqnxy

yes i did look on does Aja devices i did read that you did have the Aja IO LA and that it have some kind of TBC inside i was looking at it to and the Aja Kona Lhi but i do not have any money left
hehe i did even look at the Aja fs1 frame synchronizer i have a feeling itīs better then my DataVideo TBC-5000

there was some Aja fs1 frame synchronizer on ebay for about 600 dollar
02-22-2020, 02:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
If I remember well, it’s the strage video with out of range black. May be aja use that informations and mxo2 not
yes they are both very dark if i do not do that avisynth thing
02-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Free Member

yeah the AJA engineers who responded in a thread about the built-in TBC said the Analog Devices (?not sure) chip used in the design had a built in frame sychronizer / TBC but wasn't enabled by the firmware until about a year after its release

i got the impression the TBC might already be enabled but they didn't explictly enable it until later firmware.. it was just ignored, and that then they knew they were enabling it (sounded more like getting to know the hardware they had put together than anything else)

when Apple changed things up and pulled out of all things old Final Cut and repurposed iMovie as the new Final Cut code base.. Aja seemed a bit miffed and never wanted to be tied to Apple again (that's my interpretation)

Matrox never full trusted Apple (my opinion) and never went Apple only

It kind of remind me of Google and third parties.. never trust the partner because their business comes first and they can leave you high and dry

The IO is interesting.. but the legacy Apple OS requirement is daunting.. its not like the Windows XP requirement of some hardware.. at least that spanned more than a decade of updates to XP.. but Apple only spanned a couple of years before turning on them (that's my opnion)

They also made the IO HD, which was a lot closer to the Matrox design, used Firewire 800 ports (so faster) and a later version of OS X it seemed more cohesive.. but still lots of cables.. it was supposed to be portable.. (like a Kaypro was a laptop.. lol) but less huge air can design. They can be seen for less than 100 usd in some places occasionally.. you have to find one from a person who has moved on from Apple to find them cheap.. Apple fanboys or historians expect top dollar from old gear.. (i guess i'm a historian, old school fanboy.. but the new mackiddies look down on me.. old guy who won't move on.. )
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: jjdd (02-22-2020)
02-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Free Member

Is it possible to use without a Mac, to convert to sdi or hdmi or even to use as tbc only?
02-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Free Member

Thanks jwillis84 good info

i did read that you did say Aja io La only works on Snow Leopard(10.6.8)

i have a Macmini5.2 mid 2011 on this list https://everymac.com/mac-answers/sno...ntel-macs.html it lookīs that itīs not compatible :/ but i did find this https://www.fatheaddesign.com/2012/0...-its-possible/ and itīs possible to intall Snow Leopard(10.6.8) but little more work

when i did buy the Aja io hd i did buy a old Macbook pro i7 2.9Ghz 16gig ram A1278 2012 i did look at this list https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Ma..._Compatibility and this https://support.apple.com/en-mide/HT201736 what Macbook to buy that was compatible with older os that i did need i have now dual boot on it Catalina OS and Mountain lion OS and it works very good and i have a external monitor Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 on it not as good as my Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" that i use on my Macmini and my Windows 7 computer

i do remember i did Install a Mac OS(hackintosh) on my Dell xps m1710 some years ago and it does have firewire 400 port i do have that hard drive somewhere

Last edited by jjdd; 02-22-2020 at 05:39 PM.
02-25-2020, 01:58 AM
Free Member

I did test the VHS Batman tape i have with one of my Ati cards the "Ati all-in-wonder 2006 edition pci-e" itīs my best Ati card

i did try with the internal ProcAMP to get the details in the shadows but it was impossible without external ProcAMP

i did even try the Avisynth code that works very good on Matrox MXO2 and Aja IO HD this one but it did nothing except get brighter but no more details in the shadows maybe i did something wrong somewhere

Code:
ConvertToRGB32(matrix="PC.601",interlaced=true).ConvertToYUY2(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true)

first i did think when i did get Matrox MXO2 Le Max and Aja IO HD that i have a problem when does devices do not have internal ProcAMP but it does not matter because it captures everything so no need for internal ProcAMP and if i have bad tapes like the Batman i use the Avisynth code then the details pop up

here is a picture of the ati capture with only internal ProcAMP + the Avisynth Code but it looks bad internal ProcAMP i did put the levels much higher than usual to see if i did get more details in this picture

but if i use external ProcAMP i do offcourse get the same details as Matrox MXO2 Le Max and Aja IO HD without external ProcAMP

Attached Images
File Type: png Ati_all_in_wonder_2006_edition_pcie_Batman_TBC5000.png (727.0 KB, 16 downloads)

Last edited by jjdd; 02-25-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Tags
aja, audio, mac, sync