Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-24-2020, 09:50 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I am starting the process of converting about 50 VHS tapes from old home movies. I am still in the process of getting everything I need, but so far I got a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U to play the tapes, a AJA Kona LHi Card w/Breakout Cable, to capture the video, and a Focus Enhancements MX-4DV for a TBC.(should be here Friday.)

I got the AJA Kona LHi card cheap off ebay, so I know it was a gamble. I have had many capture cards throughout my life but only consumer level, never a professional card. So, BNC/SDI, is somewhat new to me, though I think I understand it in concept. My problem is I can't seem to get analog video to show in the AJA Control Room/AJA Control Panel using the Green Y/CVBS IN Cable connected to a BNC to RCA adapter to the RCA Video out on the VCR. Nor can I get video to show via the Red/C and Blue /Y Cable via a BNC to s-video Y adapter.

But, I can get a 525i 29.97 video via HDMI using a McBazel ODV Coposite to HDMI Converter via the pass through feature. And I can also capture 1080p and 720p via HDMI via the card via XBOX and other devices.

So, do I have a bad AJA Breakout Cable (any way to test?) or could I have a wrong setting somewhere or hooking up something wrong?

I am running on Windows 10, and newest AJA firmware and drivers.

Any help will be appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-25-2020, 09:58 AM
Free Member

Try another composite source like a DVD player instead of the VCR.
02-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

I have the same card. I capture 8-bit uncompressed. I use an analog to SDI converter box (Aja or BM), then run BNC SDI cable from converter to AJA LHi capture card. Works perfectly.

If you do that then you wont need the breakout cable. You can go directly in to the SDI port on the Kona LHi.
02-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

If you wanted to use the Kona breakout cable, you will need a Svideo Y Cable to Male BNC.

You would have to connect the Y/C from the Svideo breakout cable to the RED and BLUE INPUTS on the Kona LHi breakout cable.

I have atatched the AJA Kona LHi manual. Page 12 shows the breakout cable layout.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AJA_KONA_LHi_manual_v10.3.pdf (2.19 MB, 16 downloads)
02-25-2020, 06:47 PM

LOL, so... I need to go back to kindergarten, so I can re-learn that a square doesn't fit in a round hole... I found my issue after trying a new composite source and it still not working, then checking the cable connection to the card. I found that the connector "kinda" fits both ways and that I had it connected upside down. I made sure the pins were still straight, plugged it back in, the correct way, and now composite and s-video works perfectly! Thanks for your help.
02-26-2020, 01:21 AM
Free Member

As I can see, LHi is still supported and on sale (over 500$ on ebay). LHe not, but it can be found under 100$ even with breakout box. Latest drivers are from 2011 and support win7 64bit. Does it worth that price?
02-26-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopilotino View Post
As I can see, LHi is still supported and on sale (over 500$ on ebay). LHe not, but it can be found under 100$ even with breakout box. Latest drivers are from 2011 and support win7 64bit. Does it worth that price?
Not sure what you are looking at, average price for sold LHi Cards seems to be around $60, which is about what I paid for mine. Then another $35 for the breakout cable. If you want the breakout box, you can get it for cheap, problem is most of them don't come with the cables needed and only place I found them was for $300+. But to answer your question, yes, it is to me. For under $100, for a good capture card that can do composite/s-video/sdi video all the way to 1080p/HDMI with current windows 10 support and Adobe Premiere Pro support. This card retails for $1500, and was originally released about 10 years ago, so it is a bit dated, though.
02-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Can I please ask a question about AJA Kona card captures which might also be of interest to others ? What are you guys doing to capture the audio ? I understand that there is no input connections either on the card or breakout box which will accept a consumer audio phono type socket, as the card is expecting professional XLR audio balanced signals with additionally some sort of adjustment (-10 to +4) ? How are you guys solving this please ?
02-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaman View Post
Can I please ask a question about AJA Kona card captures which might also be of interest to others ? What are you guys doing to capture the audio ? I understand that there is no input connections either on the card or breakout box which will accept a consumer audio phono type socket, as the card is expecting professional XLR audio balanced signals with additionally some sort of adjustment (-10 to +4) ? How are you guys solving this please ?
Each card is a bit different, but I am pretty sure the LHe and I know the LHi, has Analog XLR cable inputs and outputs via the breakout Cable and/or breakout box. I then use a XLR to RCA cable (this is the one I got) to hook it up to the RCA outputs on my VCR. But you don't have to use the card's inputs, you could go to any audio input on your pc's sound card or other capture device. You may then have to make sure you tell your capture program to get the audio from there. Also, there is a bigger chance your audio will be out of sync and will need to be moved or stretched a bit to get back in sync.
02-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I have a Rolls MB15 converter for RCA to XLR... then to Kona breakout cable.

When I convert to SDI... Rolls XLR to RCA --> Analog to SDI Converter --> Capture card. The SDI signal carries the audio signal.
02-27-2020, 01:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstegner View Post
Not sure what you are looking at, average price for sold LHi Cards seems to be around $60, which is about what I paid for mine. Then another $35 for the breakout cable. If you want the breakout box, you can get it for cheap, problem is most of them don't come with the cables needed and only place I found them was for $300+. But to answer your question, yes, it is to me. For under $100, for a good capture card that can do composite/s-video/sdi video all the way to 1080p/HDMI with current windows 10 support and Adobe Premiere Pro support. This card retails for $1500, and was originally released about 10 years ago, so it is a bit dated, though.
I'm searching in europe, but even in usa, it's not easy to find at that low price. I found much more expensive only for now.
01-22-2024, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstegner View Post
LOL, so... I need to go back to kindergarten, so I can re-learn that a square doesn't fit in a round hole... I found my issue after trying a new composite source and it still not working, then checking the cable connection to the card. I found that the connector "kinda" fits both ways and that I had it connected upside down. I made sure the pins were still straight, plugged it back in, the correct way, and now composite and s-video works perfectly! Thanks for your help.
This post saved me a TON of time. I had to blindly plug in the breakout cable and apparently had it upside down as well. Flipped it and all is well. Thank you Sir!
01-22-2024, 05:50 PM
Free Member

How can this be possible? the connector is not rectangle, It's D shaped, the only way to connect it upside down is to use a hammer or some brutal force.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-22-2024, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Nope, it still slid on however incorrectly. I'd think the same thing just by looking at it, but I by no means used a hammer putting it on upside down. I dunno, glad I wasn't the only person with the same problem.
01-22-2024, 11:02 PM
Free Member

I won't be surprised, some people manage to put the 6pin firewire connector in reverse and smelled some bacon frying. You better check your pins, because one of the pins will face no hole and could potentially get bent if the connector is fully inserted.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-23-2024, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I won't be surprised, some people manage to put the 6pin firewire connector in reverse and smelled some bacon frying. You better check your pins, because one of the pins will face no hole and could potentially get bent if the connector is fully inserted.
Thanks Dad, I’ll check. 🤪
01-23-2024, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
How can this be possible? the connector is not rectangle, It's D shaped, the only way to connect it upside down is to use a hammer or some brutal force.
It can be possible if the widest part of the female trapezoid edge is less than the shortest part of the male trapezoid edge.

- When connected correctly it slides on perfectly, smoothly, with almost zero effort.
- When connected upside-down it immediately does not feel right, but as these members have stated, it unfortunately can be pushed all the way on incorrectly.

Note that most of the time an important connector like this has some indication of what side faces up.
In this case it is a large white "AJA" logo along with the part number. Bottom side is left blank to differentiate.

Note in the 2nd picture that there is just enough clearance when upside-down.

Comparison: male versus female

Incorrect:

Correct:

Please be careful with your video capture equipment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg how-to-plug-in-a-connector_1.jpg (94.5 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg how-to-NOT-plug-in-a-connector_1.jpg (97.9 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg how-to-plug-in-a-connector_3.jpg (79.1 KB, 12 downloads)

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(y/c)--> lordsmurf frame tbc ---(sdi+y/c)--> capture in windows 7