Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Free Member

I would appreciate any opinions on this piece of kit, the Panny ES35 VCR/DVD Recorder.

http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/...35v_1_2_3.html

I don't want to use it as a TBCish; I already have an ES15 which "works" well, nor will I be burning DVDs with it.

It appears to have S-Video and Component video out from the VCR. I assume that that would be a big improvement over Composite out.

Any reliability and functionality reports?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-02-2020, 09:13 AM
Free Member

It doesn't have proper Separate Y/C video out from the video IC like a SVHS deck, the VHS part is connected via composite internally (seems to be the case with most DVD-Recorder/VHS combos) to the digital/DVD part. So, what you get is the composite out from the VHS part that has gone through the internal digitizer, it's a bit like a standard hi-fi VCR hooked up to an ES15. I think they're both from the same lineup so the DVD/Digital part is probably quite similar but I don't know for sure, the earlier ES30 and ES40 share a bit with the ES10 at least as noted here.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: Hushpower (07-03-2020)
07-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Free Member

Thanks for that info, Hodgey, much appreciated.
07-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
So a definite "no" then.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-03-2020, 05:17 AM
Free Member

Yes, I use this one (DMR-ES35V) to capture from component video out, works perfect, read the manual if you want to set to progressive mode, it comes down to setting it to "video with component", then you can set progressive mode, it won't work when set to "RGB1" or "RGB2"
But the composite output will also do fine (with a Intensity Shuttle), so this "Panny" is okay both for PAL and NTSC, my guess it has some features other VHS decks don't have.
and indeed Y/C for s-video is lousy, so don't use s-video with the ES35.
The following users thank Eric-Jan for this useful post: Hushpower (07-03-2020)
07-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Free Member

Thanks Eric. The only menu item I have is "progressive" On/Off. I can't see your "Video with component" or RGB selections. Must be a variation in machines. I think I have the correct manual, but "RGB" as a setting isn't mentioned. Anyway, I can't capture Component so that is a moot point.

I found that the S-Video signal from the ES-35 would only go through the ES-15 in colour if I connected to the front S-video IN (A3). If I put it in through the top SCART port (A1), the output video was black and white.

As it turns out, I feel that the S-Video output is a little better than Composite. The attached screenshot shows the difference; subtle but there, with less noise/more even colour. The third part of the image is the result of S-Video through the ES-15 (in through A3 and out S-Video), which is better still; not by much but nevertheless...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comparison.jpg (29.6 KB, 43 downloads)
07-03-2020, 09:05 AM
Free Member

Looks like the S-Video output goes through the internal digitizer which stabilizes the vidoe, while the composite doesn't. You can see the top of video is bent to the left on the composite capture. Won't expect the ES15 to do much to the S-Video output since it has already been digitized and re-created, but it would probably stabilize the composite output in a similar way to the S-Video out from the ES35.

If using scart S-Video out/in has to be set manually. The video switching chip can sometimes go bad on the panasonic DVRs though, which can cause some inputs/outputs to not work properly, e.g on my ES10 only composite in works.
07-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Free Member

Thanks Hodgey, I didn't even notice that bend! I looked at another frame and noticed the Composite was a little brighter (underside of the aircraft), but I haven't learnt how to properly adjust the procamp to correct that yet. That's the next task. Of course, the $64,000 question: which is right?!

The SCART works OK using Composite in, so it must be something on the blink in the box, as you say. Still, I'm happy with my acquisition.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brightness.jpg (43.0 KB, 15 downloads)
07-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Free Member

You can't select this menu on the ES35V ? Setup > Connection > AV1 > video (with component)
then, if you want, you can set Progressive > On (see attachments)

btw. i always use the RCA connections on the vcr for capture, SCART can have interferrence due to the thin and density of the wires, RCA cables are generaly better, because of the better shielding and impedance.
for TV you can use SCART if needed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg es35menu.jpg (61.7 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: jpg es35menu2.jpg (81.7 KB, 19 downloads)

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 07-03-2020 at 10:13 AM.
The following users thank Eric-Jan for this useful post: Hushpower (07-03-2020)
07-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Mine's slightly different: it's missing the 2 "AV" settings.

Thanks for the tip on the connections; I connected the S-Video to the AV4 in on the ES-15 and I now have colour video! Obviously a SCART issue.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ES35 Setup-Connection.jpg (11.5 KB, 15 downloads)
07-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Free Member

Judgin by the manual the ES35V does not support S-Video output over the scart connection (though it can accept S-Video input the other SCART it if set to it), may as well use the S-video connector though.

Me and others have had the issue with PAL Panasonic DVRs that they like to clip brights (can be worked around by lowering the video level in some manner before it enters the DVR), wonder if the ES35 and other combos do the same to the internal playback.
07-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Free Member

Eric, interestingly, the ES15 has similar menu options to your ES35.

When I get another SCART connector, I'll see if I can get colour video out with the attached settings on the ES15 (the "TBC" on the ES15 only works on the AV1 out, I think I read on DigitalFAQ).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ES15 Setup-Connection.jpg (11.9 KB, 16 downloads)
07-03-2020, 12:08 PM
Free Member

Yes, the ES35 has different video outputs of the same input/playing VHS tape, because i once noticed one output had a "on screen" message, while the other output had not, there are some special things going on i guess... there is also a SCART-less version i guess, and also a different "onboard" software version, with me, the composite RCA video output on the back is also TBCish, (used directly on my BMD IS)
The component black level settings i can't find anywhere in my ES35 menu's....
07-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The attached images must be less than 895px wide. So stack vertical, not horizontal. PNG, and wider, should be attached inside archive files (7z,rar,zip,etc)

The ES35 downconverts to composite from s-video, and that's just not a good thing.

Comparison.jpg looks terrible to me, lots of chroma noise. Ugh.

This is just a generic DVD recorder, no use for quality capturing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The attached images must be less than 895px wide. So stack vertical, not horizontal.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...#ixzz6RBTdW3Rf
Done. Feel free to edit my previous attachment with my "tallboy".

Quote:
The ES35 downconverts to composite from s-video
I was just pointing out that from a normal (non SVHS) VHS tape, I'm seeing the S-Video output from the ES35 being better than Composite.

Quote:
This is just a generic DVD recorder, no use for quality capturing.
Beggars can't be choosers, especially in PAL land, at the bottom of the world!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comparison.jpg (155.3 KB, 26 downloads)
01-20-2022, 09:10 AM
Free Member

Would this hardware (DMR-ES35V) provide the same functionality as the ES-10 that gets mentioned a lot if just using it to passthrough from another VCR?
01-20-2022, 05:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock20 View Post
Would this hardware (DMR-ES35V) provide the same functionality as the ES-10 that gets mentioned a lot if just using it to passthrough from another VCR?
There are more versions of the DMR-ES35V the US version region1 has no SCART connectors i noticed,
The PAL version i have, does have SCART connectors, and is a multi-tv system recorder combo, you can capture PAL or NTSC from it (my case scenario, so no PAL60 or NTSC50 on video out) I have never used it as passthrough for VHS, because it can play VHS tapes itself, the video signal is rock-steady, no TBC needed, on all video output connections: composite, s-video, and component (YUV) interlaced or progressive, i prefer component progressive, it gives slightly more detail, but this will mean you also see a fine noise pattern, not seen on composite output or s-video.
do not use the SCART video output, this looks worse on my Sony Bravia LCD/TFT don't know for shure if this is caused by the ES35V or my Sony Bravia, i use the SCART only for monitoring.
I have no experience with the ES-10 dvd-recorder.
My ES-35V has also a front Firewire/iLink input.
what source you want to connect to the input of the ES35V ?
01-20-2022, 09:23 PM
Free Member

Funny you ask this today, as I was thinking about making a post on what I've found out with the DMR-ES35V:

CAVEAT: I have only been at this tape-transfer thing for a couple weeks now so am still learning the ropes. Take my words below for their value at your own risk.

I have no experience using the ES10 or ES15 recorders for pass through, but I own two DMR-ES35V recorders and can confirm they do perform some sort of pass-through clean-up as I am using one right now to transfer my family's Video 8 tapes.

If I run my Sony CCD-TR67 camcorder's output directly into the Diamond VC500's input, the bottom portion of the captured video horizontally "jitters" slightly. If I run it through IN 1 and out the DVD Priority output then it's extremely stable. This sounds like the frame-syncing that people desire in the ES10/ES15 recorders. Do correct me if I'm wrong on terminology. I don't notice any significant artifacts or detail loss in the video coming from the recorders, so my take is this is another unit that can be used to help stabilize otherwise good condition tapes.

Last edited by Blacktape; 01-20-2022 at 09:56 PM.
01-21-2022, 06:08 AM
Free Member

You are a lucky to have the Panasonic DMR-ES35V, if you have PAL version even better, you simply don't need a TBC, and that's a big advantage, if you do have any dropped frames, this is due to a slow computer, try to shutdown some background tasks, or "virus shields" it also matters which codec you use when you capture,
capturing on a MAC has the advantage of the ProRes codec use, it does use compression but this compression differs in that it compress per frame and not per frame set, so you won't notice quality loss, like you have with it in post when you finally compress to h264 MP4 in the end.
Capturing in s-video gave some artifacts, compared to composite, with me, i use the Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbold2) from BlackMagic Design, and capture through component video, (best results for me) which is a great feature of the DMR-ES35V, to switch to different modes with the DMR-ES35V you really need the correct manual for your model type, you will notice the difference in the back connectons,(SCART or no SCART) and the available system menu's.
you should try different settings and see what works best for you, it allways depends on the complete setup, that will be different per user.
Only thing that needs some attention is de-interlacing, you should not notice "saw tooths" with fast movements on edges in the image, experiment with the comb filter off or on in the ES35V system menu, or experiment with the Yadif de-interlace settings in the computer software you have, or just leave it so, if there's no problem.
01-21-2022, 01:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktape View Post
Funny you ask this today, as I was thinking about making a post on what I've found out with the DMR-ES35V:

CAVEAT: I have only been at this tape-transfer thing for a couple weeks now so am still learning the ropes. Take my words below for their value at your own risk.

I have no experience using the ES10 or ES15 recorders for pass through, but I own two DMR-ES35V recorders and can confirm they do perform some sort of pass-through clean-up as I am using one right now to transfer my family's Video 8 tapes.

If I run my Sony CCD-TR67 camcorder's output directly into the Diamond VC500's input, the bottom portion of the captured video horizontally "jitters" slightly. If I run it through IN 1 and out the DVD Priority output then it's extremely stable. This sounds like the frame-syncing that people desire in the ES10/ES15 recorders. Do correct me if I'm wrong on terminology. I don't notice any significant artifacts or detail loss in the video coming from the recorders, so my take is this is another unit that can be used to help stabilize otherwise good condition tapes.
I was going to post the same thing. Going through DMR-ES35V seems to have fixed some issues I have had with certain tapes. Didn't know if it was just by luck or if this device has the functionality others have mentioned the ES-10 and ES-15 have.