Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Free Member

Hey,

I just bought a SONY Betamax SL-2710 and received it in the mail. It seems to work fine, but when I connect it to my computer, like I connect my VCR, the computer doesn't see it.

I use a Dazzle connection and the program Pinnacle Studio 21, not the best connection/program, but it's been working well with the VCR's. When I open Pinnacle Studio 21, I will select Import and Video Composite, not Video SVideo because the Beta player doesn't have a port for that connection. With the VCR's, it works fine like that, but the program doesn't even see the Beta tape player.

Does it have to be connected another way?

Thanks for any help.

Sean
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Free Member

The program doesn't see the VCR, it sees a video signal, it doesn't care where that video signal is coming from, Did you try connecting the VCR directly to TV?
07-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Free Member

My computer doesn't have the same audio/video plugs in the back, that's why I've always used the dazzle connection. How else can I connect the Beta? It has the audio/video plugs in the back, the RF connections and one other plug that looks like the audio/video connections, but is labeled MPX.

My computer has all of the basic connections, minus an HDMI connection.

How can I directly connect the beta to my computer?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_SL-2710.jpg (73.6 KB, 4 downloads)
07-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Free Member

You can't connect the VCR directly to the computer unless you have a PCIe capture card on your computer, You connect the VCR to the dazzle using the color coded connections and the Dazzle to computer using a USB port. If you can't make a basic video cable connections send your tapes to a professional so you don't have to worry about it.
07-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Free Member

That's what I explained at the start. I use Dazzle and Pinnacle Studio 21 for all VCR, hi8, miniDVs, MicroMV,... the problem was connecting the new Betamax because it doesn't work exactly the same as VCRs, but I've got it connected and working great. It doesn't show a connection until it plays. When a VCR is connected or a camera, it shows the blue screen of the camera/VCR and then the video when it starts. The Betamax doesn't show anything until played.
07-19-2020, 10:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr19th View Post
I use a Dazzle connection and the program Pinnacle Studio 21, not the best connection/program,
That is a barely passable capture card, and really bad software. At least use VirtualDub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The program doesn't see the VCR, it sees a video signal
Correct. And the issue is loss of signal.

Quote:
It doesn't show a connection until it plays.
When a VCR is connected or a camera, it shows the blue screen of the camera/VCR and then the video when it starts. The Betamax doesn't show anything until played.
This is lack of continuous video input signal, which is what a TBC is for.
What are you using for TBC?
You must use something. VCR > TBC > capture device/card

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr19th View Post
MicroMV,
One of the few things were Pinnacle Studio is required. Ugh. The only reason we have it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-21-2020, 03:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The Betamax doesn't show anything until played.
Probably the way it is designed, not to output a video signal (to the Dazzle, in this case) until you hit Play.

Can you record/capture the video after the Betamax starts playing?
07-21-2020, 03:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Probably the way it is designed, not to output a video signal (to the Dazzle, in this case) until you hit Play.
Yes and no.
And the Dazzle is the likely issue, not the deck.
Maybe designed that way, maybe not.
The real issue is lack of continuous (and quality) signal, ie not TBC in workflow chain.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Hushpower (07-21-2020)