Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Free Member

Hi,
I have a little problem, which is to rip a certain amount of VHS tapes. Unfortunately, some of these tapes are displayed as black and white film.

My devices:
1. Sharp VC-S2000 (reads PAL / SECAM, TBC etc ...) - generally works nicely.
2. TBC-100
3. Black Magic Shuttle USB 3.0
4. Dell Optiplex with SSD.

Everything flashes nicely, I have no problem with timing (it's a TBC-1000 robot - it's great).

Unfortunately, some of these films (I have one cassette so that the first film on it - about 10 minutes is black and white, and then another film appears and is already in color).

I tried to connect the VCR directly to the TV today and found that the movies are shown in color. I have set the VCR to auto mode - so it automatically switches between PAL / SECAM systems.

I read on videohelp that Intensity Shuttle works only as PAL / NTSC.

So I assume it's my capture card's fault. Nevertheless, I prefer to be sure.

Lordsmerf - which SECAM compatible card would you recommend to me for such a set? I will just add that Dell Optiplex is Small Form Facrot - low profile. Hence, I want a USB 3.0 card (unless it is interesting, adapted to the narrow PC case).

Thank you very much for your help and greetings to all forum members who are concerned with the VHS standard and everyone related to this technology

Halopower
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Free Member

It's the TBC-1000 that is not compatible with SECAM not the capture card:
https://resource.datavideo.com//spec...o_TBC-1000.pdf
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: halopower (09-26-2020), lordsmurf (09-26-2020)
09-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Lordsmerf - which SECAM compatible card would you recommend
Dual boot into WinXP, and use an ATI AIW USB card. SECAM is a PITA format, and few cards work well with it. The wide format acceptance is one of the many reasons the AIW is still one of the best capture cards ever made.

Quote:
It's the TBC-1000 that is not compatible with SECAM not the capture card:
And this. DataVideo is a PAL/NTSC only TBC. For SECAM, and some other NTSC/PAL variants, you have to get a Cypress.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: halopower (09-26-2020)
09-26-2020, 04:48 PM
Free Member

Lordsmerf, can you be clearer?

So I understand that I should put a second system on this computer (Windows xp SP3?). Can you give me some link to the card you write about ATI AIW USB?
What TBC are you thinking about? Cypress? Can you link?

Ps. What do you think about such a card?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elgato-Vi...-/271124645486
09-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
- Easycap = Easycrap
- Elgato = Elcrapo
Both are deserved nicknames.

Lots of discussions in the forum in past years on the AIW USB, and the AIW series since inception of the site (2002).

Same for Cypress, lots of discussions in past forum posts. You must avoid the "black" era units, and get the "green" era units.

These are not new-in-stores items, so no "links" available, aside from forum posts (which I'd have to search for, too).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-26-2020, 11:12 PM
Free Member

Newer cards and devices do SECAM poorly, you will have to go back in time and get one of those Pinnacle, ATI card/devices as well as the pro ones (Ensemble Designs, Aja ...etc) in used condition, You should have though twice before you bought that useless intensity shuttle.
09-27-2020, 05:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Newer cards and devices do SECAM poorly, you will have to go back in time and get one of those Pinnacle, ATI card/devices as well as the pro ones (Ensemble Designs, Aja ...etc) in used condition, You should have though twice before you bought that useless intensity shuttle.
Hi latreche34,
I know you're against the HDMI capture through the Blackmagic.

Do you have any samples SDI vs HDMI or know a forum contribution where I can compare two captures?

I would be interested in sdi way but it is the only one I have never tested. I have bought a aja kona lhe but I'll need an analog to sdi converter to do my own testing.
09-27-2020, 03:46 PM
Free Member

I'm not against HDMI capture, if you have a game console and HDMI is the only output to capture the game from then so be it, I just don't see it necessary for analog tape based formats.

I have samples here and at videohelp if you can look for them, Me and Jwillis even did a comparison between SDI lossless and firewire lossless (not DV) capture methods but came identical since both are lossless methods, we used the same tape and VCR's are the same model. And no I don't have a HDMI sample, it is not worth my time and HDMI capture devices are not cheap to buy for the sake of experimenting.
09-27-2020, 07:24 PM
Free Member

If you want to stick with the current system and capture card, sending the video through a secam-compatible dvd/hdd-recorder or similar with component or HDMI out (+ splitter) to the intensity can be an option, in that way you avoid the color encoding on the capture side entirely. Some may have side effects though, and not really familiar with dvdrs in secam areas.
09-28-2020, 02:32 PM
Free Member

Can you be clearer about this work pattern? What specific DVD model?
VCR (S-video + white and red RCA for sound) -> DVD -> (what model? For TBC-1000 there is only RCA white red yellow and S-video) -> TBC-1000 (same, S-video and white, red and yellow RCA) -> Intensity Shuttle (here the output is to PC via USB 3.0) -> PC.
Generally, for PAL everything works beautifully for me with this set (except of course the DVD you are writing about).

The whole problem is that you have to convert the SECAM signal from the VCR to PAL and put it in this form into the TBC-1000.
09-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Free Member

Get something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinnacle-Sy...oAAOSw1vFfbgrh

Here is the spec:
https://www.comx-computers.co.za/PN-...tions-6653.htm

Though not sure which one has the MPEG-2 encoder chip built in, the black one (710-USB) or the white one (510-USB), You don't want that.
09-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Free Member

I don't know if this helps, but with my Hauppauge USB-Live2 I was able to capture from Secam VHS tapes on Windows 10 using AmarecTV. However I had to open prior to the capture a "capture graph" with GraphStudioNext and change the properties of the "Video Decoder" to "Secam H" or "Secam K"
10-07-2020, 04:02 AM
Free Member

Hello again
Is there no other options to convert PAL to SECAM signal and use my TBC-1000 PAL ???
I am very happy with it and would like to keep this capture path.
I tried Elgato Video Capture yesterday (without TBC-1000). Unfortunately, the movie is 1h - the sound is out of sync by about 2 seconds.
Only the path with the use of TBC -1000 interests me. This device is, in my opinion, reliable.

Additional question - if I put out the SECAM signal from the VCR and hook it up to TV, and then leave the TV via SCART to TBC-1000, will this signal still be SECAM?

What to convert a SECAM signal to PAL ???
10-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
I don't know if this helps, but with my Hauppauge USB-Live2 I was able to capture from Secam VHS tapes on Windows 10 using AmarecTV. However I had to open prior to the capture a "capture graph" with GraphStudioNext and change the properties of the "Video Decoder" to "Secam H" or "Secam K"
Why don't you use "device settings" in AmarecTV?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (157.1 KB, 64 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.9 KB, 62 downloads)
10-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Free Member

Pleaselink to Amarec software. And configuration screens please. I have Windows 10 64 bit.
10-07-2020, 11:55 AM
Free Member

The worst thing you can do to a poor analog video like VHS is convert its chroma to another standard, That's a recipe for a disaster. Get a legacy capture card that captures SECAM and sell the shuttle to cut your losses.
10-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Free Member

The problem is as mentioned that the TBC does not support SECAM. You would need a TBC or something else to replace that, capturing directly without a TBC is bound to cause issues.
10-07-2020, 05:44 PM
Free Member

Yes the shuttle requires TBC and cannot work without it, but when a good legacy capture device that can handle frame timing better is used, he may not need TBC and in the process no standard conversion is made, even if minor lip sync occurs capturing small segments like 15 min each can solve the problem for this particular tape.
10-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halopower View Post
Additional question - if I put out the SECAM signal from the VCR and hook it up to TV, and then leave the TV via SCART to TBC-1000, will this signal still be SECAM?

What to convert a SECAM signal to PAL ???
It will still be secam. A system converter may prevent the TBC from doing anything meaningful and leave handling of the unstable video signal to whatever does the conversion depending on how it's made.

You would need something that can handle SECAM to replace it. Ideally another TBC, or maybe you could get away with a DVD-recorder or AV receiver in place of it or maybe some other capture device that can handle video/audio sync well as notet.
10-08-2020, 01:35 AM
Free Member

And what TBC for SECAM to buy now?

Tags
black & white, intensity shuttle, secam