Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Free Member

Hello,

This thread is as a reply to Lordsmurf. I am responding to a private message you sent me on October 6th, 2020 at 2:09PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
BTW, I can probably tell you about some odd rare errors. Not easy to recreate, but may prove interesting. As a taste, the most interesting is when the mode data is destroyed, so the tape doesn't know if it's SP, LP or SLP/EP. Weird stuff happens. But in the thread, not email, not PM.
Do you have any additional information on this? I would love to know more about "some odd rare errors" because there is not much information about VCR errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
It would help to understand VHS signal theory, and I know a few books you could read.
Where can I find these books and can they be purchased online or downloaded? Would love to hear more from you!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-25-2020, 04:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Buy these:
- https://amzn.to/37K0SmT (VCR Troubleshooting and Repair)
- https://amzn.to/3mn2Aik (Video and Camcorder Servicing and Technology)

When reading, remember this is THEORY -- sometimes PRACTICAL APPLICATION will vary. Experience will tell you which is which.

I want to re-read both of these myself. I have crisp new copies that I bought in the 2000s.

I'd need to ponder weird errors for a bit. Some things are so unusual that I've only seen the error once in 25 years, and others have never heard of such a thing.

The primary cause of weird errors is nth gen, often what happens when an idiot meets a cheap VCR. But not always.

Just thought of one, have samples somewhere. The interlace is visually revsed, vibrates the picture. And then randomly unreverses, re-reverses, etc. The tape must be multi-captured, advanced Avisynth shifting. You can also cheat with drop-frame deinterlace and anti-alias, which is actually not bad (but not best).

Another is DV/MPEG-type blocks ... in a VHS tape, a decade before either existed. CCD/CMOS weirdness there.

I have a lot of sample, of lots of things, just not had time to share and catalog like I want.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Free Member

You want to see some weird $hit? Get a recorded VHS tape, Take it a part, disconnect the tape from the spools and flip the tape upside down and reconnect it back to the spools you can only do one spool at a time and you need a way to spool it outside the VCR. and play it back.
10-25-2020, 08:08 PM
Free Member

In addition to the books, this JVC Techical guide has a lot if info about how the signal is stored on tape and how it's encoded/decoded (it's a bit old, so some of the noise reduction and chroma frequency/phase compensation circuitry may have improved and changed a little later). It's helpful to have some general idea about how a standard analog composite video signal is structured to make sense of it though.
10-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
In addition to the books, this JVC Techical guide has a lot if info about how the signal is stored on tape and how it's encoded/decoded (it's a bit old, so some of the noise reduction and chroma frequency/phase compensation circuitry may have improved and changed a little later). It's helpful to have some general idea about how a standard analog composite video signal is structured to make sense of it though.
I see no download there, only a donate link, and instruction to send emails.
If you have this, please attach to this thread.

10-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Free Member

The link is the VIDEO TECHICAL GUIDE text right of "type a", the website actually has a lot of high-res manual scans, but the interface isn't the greatest. I would attach it, but it's 120 mb and already compressed so I can't squeeze it down any further.
10-26-2020, 12:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

I see the download link now. Thanks. Attached.

Attached Files
File Type: rar JVC Video Technical Guide.part1.rar (99.00 MB, 6 downloads)
File Type: rar JVC Video Technical Guide.part2.rar (15.21 MB, 4 downloads)