10-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Free Member

Dear all, apologies if this isn't the right section in the forum to ask about this (please move if so).

I am desperately looking for some smart storage solutions to house my collection of 6 players (3 VHS, 1 Hi8 and 2 Betamax machines) together with the computer base unit, keyboard, monitor, mouse and TBC.

I have been considering some kind of rack/cabinet to store them all vertically on separate shelves with the monitor and keyboard at the top but cannot find anything with sliding shelves to re-configure cables as and when required depending on the player I need.

I just cannot find something which is compact, smart looking, with sliding shelves and of course allows ventilation. I have been looking at server rack cabinets and hifi cabinets but they are not quite up to standard for a living room environment.

Can anyone recommend anything please ?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-30-2020, 06:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I have custom racks built from wood. Mostly 2x4, some 1x4 and 2x6.

But wood gets hot, you say? Well, not really. I have gear gapped in stacks. Air passes on all sides, and a basic $10 Walmart fan on low can help circulate behind the rack, promote air flow in the room. Most gear is sideways, so access to back and front always available.

One unit is stained cherry, and the other is just aged wood. I have another stained walnut, but it's in storage (and got warped some, even though the storage is temp controlled; must fix sometime).

The utility, not pretty.

No, I can't take photos, but of reasons.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-30-2020, 06:47 PM
Free Member

Interesting thanks @lordsmurf.

Can I get an understanding of the design please? Does it house everything including the base unit of the PC, the monitor, keyboard, mouse and TBC ? I want to make this look smart and functional but nothing seems to be mass produced sadly

The only thing I could find is something like this:

http://www.dreamav.co.uk/vega_av955s_cabinet.html
10-30-2020, 07:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The cherry, yes. Bottom is spacious, holds system (Antec 300 tower), about 5" off floor. Again, sideways, access to front and back. PCI TBC-100 on this one, eSATA, both in back. USB and opticals (BenQ scanners) in front. Bottom middle is Panasonic gear (1980, ES10), JVCs on upper middle, top to ceiling is just unplugged storage. The desk next to it has a monitor and keyboard/mouse, but rest of desk is for books and research, usually stack of papers (inbox, to file).

The raw wood, no. System is laptop on small antique desk behind it, huge mouse pad covers entire desk surface (excludes laptop footprint). On this unit, bottom is unplugged storage, middle is in-use gear (currently JVCs), no current top (framed art on wall, painted by me pre-MS, something I can no longer do post-MS). Main TBC here is green AVT-8710, so overall tiny. Different room.

Two cupboard hold more gear, one built-in, one wardrobe style.

In terms of construction, it's very skeletal, to prevent heat buildup.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-05-2020, 08:25 AM
Free Member

I found a nice cabinet! What do you think of this setup?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201105_111038.jpg (44.6 KB, 14 downloads)