Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-04-2020, 09:48 PM
Free Member

So I have been digitizing my VHS tapes sporadically for the past 15 years. Many home movies from a VHS-C camcorder but mostly from recordings I made off of television over the years. In the old days when using an AIW card and a Pentium 3 I used to have dropped frames like crazy...understandable...the hardware wasn't quite ready for prime time. That being said, I have not had any dropped frames worth speaking of in the last 7 years or so...ever since I have been using PCs with Core i7 chips. Until today. Same VCR...Same process...all of a sudden 5 or 6 dropped frames per second of capture. I stress that nothing has changed. I thought it might have been the tape so I tried 3 different ones all with the same result. I even dug my full frame TBC out of the closet but it didn't help. Rebooted the PC several times and turned off all background processes again without any help. I even tried Pinnacle, VD and Avisynth...all programs I have used in the past for analogue capture and all dropped frames like mad. So I figured it must be the VCR. I don't have access to another VCR so I tried capturing a VHS-C tape from my camcorder...the same camcorder that I originally shot the footage on) and even that dropped frames. I popped a tape in that I had already transferred with 0 dropped frames and guess what...dropped frames galore. What am I missing? I am editing this to add something I just thought of. Maybe my interface is dying? As ide from the VCR it is the only thing that is consistent in all of my attempts. I even tried uncompressed, Huffy and H264 all with the same results
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-05-2020, 07:19 AM
Free Member

Try to capture to another disk.

I once had a soon-to-be-failing HDD inserting periodic waits.
The following users thank scharfis_brain for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-29-2020)
12-05-2020, 09:23 AM
Free Member

It could be either the hard drive or some OS updates has messed up the driver, The best way is to use Win 7 if you are on Win 10 platform.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-29-2020)