01-19-2021, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Hi. I have the ATI TV Wonder Pro that I've been using for years with a Windows XP desktop. Recently the desktop shut down and I took it to be repaired. They cleaned out the dust and now Windows works fine. However, I'm getting an error message:

"Unable to start TV

Check the Windows Device Manager to ensure that the correct video driver has been installed and is working properly before attempting to restart TV

PC Check may help diagnose this problem. Start PC Check utility after pressing OK (check box there and OK button)."

The PC check didn't work.

I'm not a newbie, but I'm not an expert, either. I can't find the 9.8 driver if that's what I need. Will 9.15 even work on XP or my old hardware?

I only use the part of the software that grabs the closed-captioning from the TV shows and saves it as an HTML file.

Not sure to do so please help!

I uninstalled the software, but now I can't find the original software to reinstall. So stupid of me, I know.

I looked here but not sure which one would be the one I need.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-19-2021, 10:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
MMC is not a driver, merely the capture software (mostly good for ATI MPEG capturing).

For now, ignore MMC.

Is the card found in VirtualDub? If not, you have bigger issues that MMC or VirtualDub. In that case, the entire driver package needs to be reinstalled. Which card is this? Do you have the original installer CD?

Have you rebooted lately? Sometimes MMC is temperamental, won't start. Reboot fixes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: slanoue (01-20-2021)
01-19-2021, 10:38 PM
Free Member

I don't know what Virtual Dub is. I need the ATI software, not just the driver, since I uninstalled the software.

The card I have is ATI TV Wonder Pro PCI-NTSC (100-703138). If I have the CD, I don't know where it is. I had this installed in my computer at least 4 or 5 years ago. I just re-ordered it off Amazon, to get the CD. Assuming no one can help me. It's only $20. Easier than looking through all my stuff.

Rebooted several times. Didn't help.
01-19-2021, 11:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Read about VirtualDub in the forum. The word VirtualDub is auto-linked. Download it.
- unzip it (no installer), launch
- File > Capture AVI
- then Device > ATI

If no ATI, the system drivers are corrupted, reinstall.

ATI TV Wonder Pro PCI-NTSC is not a good card. The AIW are recommended, not these TVWonder cards.

01-20-2021, 12:01 AM
Free Member

I will look into Virtual Dub but I do need the software so that I can reinstall it. I uninstalled the ATI software and I don't know where I put the CD. Yes, I do think the drivers were corrupted, but what I need first and foremost is the software so that I can reinstall it.

I've used the TV Wonder for many years with no problems (and before that, the TV Wonder USB). All I need it for is to grab the closed-captioning from TV shows so I can make transcripts for my site.

-- merged --

Video Dub doesn't seem to be something I need. I don't care about video quality. That's not what I use this software for. Also, this computer I use is not hooked up to the net. I don't have anything else running on the computer. Just Windows and ATI.

-- merged --

I really need the software ASAP because I'm so dependent on this software/hardware for my site, and I'm falling way behind. It took a week to get my pc repaired. Please help me as soon as you can if you know where I can find the MMC software.

Thanks,
01-20-2021, 04:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

You don't get it. You have a problem. Process of elimination is what will solve it. Process of elimination is the scientific method. For it to work, you need constants, not just variables. You think your issue is ATI MMC. Based on my experience, I doubt it. Possible, but doubt it. The solution is to install VirtualDub, and see if it can see your ATI card. If so, you're right, it's just a corrupted MMC, yay for you, easy fix. If I'm right, card not seen in VirtualDub, you have corrupted drivers, and reinstalling MMC does nothing.

The solution is NOT to just randomly reinstall stuff, hope for the best.

You don't have to use VirtualDub beyond testing purposes.

"not having problems" still does not make this a quality card. However, your CC use makes that moot -- and transcripting CC is admirable, thank you.

However, see my newest post here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post74540
Like you, I get behind on site tasks. This is a project for me, but I added the MMC that you want as my first upload.

If MMC reinstall works, great.
If not, verify with VirtualDub. If not card seen there, reinstall drivers.

For your sake, I hope it is just MMC.

01-20-2021, 11:00 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the link!

I'm not randomly installing stuff. First I need to reinstall the software, since I uninstalled it and couldn't find the original CD. Then if it's still not working, I'll reinstall the driver. Then if that still doesn't work, I'll try the videodub thing.