Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-12-2021, 01:58 PM
Free Member

Hello,

first I would like to apologize for my English, it's not great, but I am going to try to explain myself as best as I can.

I have been somewhat successfully recording our old VHS tapes to the computer. The problem is, some of the tapes are very glichty and jumpy and at times unwatchable. I have a Silvercrest USB video grabber (bought at Lidl - a supermarket store for about 23USD) - so yes, probably not the best one out there.

The thing is - some of the tapes are just fine and some are not. What's also weird is that the "jumping" happens whenever somebody is holding the camera (the person taking the actual video). When the camera is still (for example when we used to record outselves doing little sketches and things and set the camera down), the picture is just fine.

I tried plugging the VCR into the TV and yes, it works fine. I know this is a common issue related to timing errors and stuff, but I was just wondering whether this could also be solved by maybe playing with the settings of the software that I'm using (OBS)? I've also tried using a different capture card (a generic one I bought years ago) and it does the same thing...

The VCR that I have is a Samsung SV-251GX.

Here is a screenshot of what the jumpy image looks like: https://postimg.cc/0b3mB04L

It's just kind of frustrating that some tapes are just fine and some are not.

Thank you so much, and I'm happy to provide more information!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-14-2021, 01:52 PM
Free Member

It looks to me like a line timebase issue (someone else here can confirm). I think your VCR doesn't have a built-in timebase corrector (TBC) and so some tapes may glitch when connected to a capture device that is sensitive to tape quality.