Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Free Member

I am interested in buying S-VHS,
But not from Marketplace..
There are suggestions where to buy in terms of reliability and quality?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/vcrshop

It is good?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-16-2021, 10:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
PAL or NTSC?

There's essentially zero NTSC options, aside from me and TGrant. My decks are in the marketplace. Tom has sparse stock, mostly Panasonic (and some Betamax and low-end stuff), but several of us have lost confidence in his repair quality due to needing costly re-fixes after only 2-3 years (aka, the AG-1980 money pit deck). You have to gamble on eBay, when decks are even available, and you're likely to lose that bet. Too many liars and video know-nothings, with ridiculous ideas of what "working" and "tested" mean. Once in a blue moon, Deter has some extras. And then you'll also see members taking my buy/use/resell advice, and reselling gear they got from me.

Be especially careful of the VCR/TBC scammer in Houston, with multiple usernames. He's been on eBay for years, and they seem to always remove his negative feedback.

For PAL, there are some. I sometimes get PAL decks, but I'll also refer to VCRshop. I don't think his criteria is as strict as mine (or has any at all?), referring to my A/B/C/F grading scale. So he has gotten some mixed buyer reviews in the past on this site, maybe VH, both in PM and on-forum. (I once got griped at for recommending him, and that specific deck was only so-so quality. Shoot the messenger?) Yet mostly fine.

What's wrong with this site's marketplace?

At least members of this site should know what's what for VCR quality, not a total random that bought a cruddy old deck from an abandoned storage locker auction. Essentially somebody looking to flip unknown condition (usually/likely trash) units on eBay/Craigslist/Facebook. Again, too many idiotic definitions of "working" and "tested" out there. (ie, Plugging in deck and seeing lights, or putting in old retail tape and seeing any quality image on a usually-tiny screen.)

Beware of shipping. Almost nobody seems to know how to pack a VCR well, and way too many VCRs are ruined in shipment. VCRshop is decent. I pack mine like portable safes, in heavy duty boxes, strategic padding, ask any of my past buyers. A few models of VCRs are near-impossible to ship without being damaged, such as the SR-VS20.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: lidorariel2310 (05-16-2021)
05-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
PAL or NTSC?

There's essentially zero NTSC options, aside from me and TGrant. My decks are in the marketplace. Tom has sparse stock, mostly Panasonic (and some Betamax and low-end stuff), but several of us have lost confidence in his repair quality due to needing costly re-fixes after only 2-3 years (aka, the AG-1980 money pit deck). You have to gamble on eBay, when decks are even available, and you're likely to lose that bet. Too many liars and video know-nothings, with ridiculous ideas of what "working" and "tested" mean. Once in a blue moon, Deter has some extras. And then you'll also see members taking my buy/use/resell advice, and reselling gear they got from me.

Be especially careful of the VCR/TBC scammer in Houston, with multiple usernames. He's been on eBay for years, and they seem to always remove his negative feedback.

For PAL, there are some. I sometimes get PAL decks, but I'll also refer to VCRshop. I don't think his criteria is as strict as mine (or has any at all?), referring to my A/B/C/F grading scale. So he has gotten some mixed buyer reviews in the past on this site, maybe VH, both in PM and on-forum. (I once got griped at for recommending him, and that specific deck was only so-so quality. Shoot the messenger?) Yet mostly fine.

What's wrong with this site's marketplace?

At least members of this site should know what's what for VCR quality, not a total random that bought a cruddy old deck from an abandoned storage locker auction. Essentially somebody looking to flip unknown condition (usually/likely trash) units on eBay/Craigslist/Facebook. Again, too many idiotic definitions of "working" and "tested" out there. (ie, Plugging in deck and seeing lights, or putting in old retail tape and seeing any quality image on a usually-tiny screen.)

Beware of shipping. Almost nobody seems to know how to pack a VCR well, and way too many VCRs are ruined in shipment. VCRshop is decent. I pack mine like portable safes, in heavy duty boxes, strategic padding, ask any of my past buyers. A few models of VCRs are near-impossible to ship without being damaged, such as the SR-VS20.
Thank you very much for the information
i'm looking for PAL, a specific model of JVC..
its name is HR-S9700EU, is it in the marketplace?