Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-19-2021, 09:46 PM
Free Member

This may be a stupid question. If so I apologize but I’d rather be sure.

I am gathering the parts to do VHS preservation according to the excellent advice on this forum. I found a nearly-new HR-S7500U and I have an AIW 2006 edition on the way (sadly it’s an AGP version and I’m short on hardware that still has AGP ports but I’ll find something at some point). However I have noticed that a lot of the posts here seem to be talking about DVD as the target format for VHS capture. I will be interested in keeping what I capture as files, uploading to the Internet Archive for instance. Some items of interest to preservers of ephemera such as myself I may also want to put on YouTube, which will require a de-interlaced version.

I understand how to do all that, but I wanted to ask: are the AIW cards still the best choice when my target isn’t DVD, or are they recommended due to some reason specific to keeping the video in an interlaced format or viewing on televisions?

Thank you for all the good information.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-20-2021, 12:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
AIW has nothing to do with DVD, and everything to do with capture quality.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs