Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Free Member

I have spoke to Lord Smurf over PM and have purchased a USB pinnacle capture card from him along with a VHS player (JVC HR-S8700) from VCRShop and a ES-10 from Ebay. I have set up a spare PC with Windows XP with VirtualDub and the Huffyuv codec.

I am in the UK, I have set the resolution to 720x576 and using the standard Huffyuv codec, I was originally using the multi-threaded version, but LS advised me to use the regular version.

I have also installed both versions of the codec on the PC I plan to play and edit the captures from.

The first captures wouldn’t play in VLC but would play in Windows Media Player okay, since changing to the standard Hufffyuv codec the captures will play in VLC but audio only in Windows Media Player.

I was hoping to use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit with as already have it installed and familiar with it, however dragging any of the captures in gives me an error. I presume because it isn’t seeing the codec. LS suggested I may need to install ffdshow, I have installed that but getting the same error. Do I need to configure this somehow? Premiere Pro is version 22.0.0, Build 169.

I have done a few test captures and would appreciate some feedback on them, before I go ahead capturing full tapes. The files were too large to upload, so have put them on Google drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...uM?usp=sharing

Attached Images
File Type: png Premiere Pro Error.png (12.2 KB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-19-2022, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

I had the same error message on Windows 10, Premiere 22. Here is what worked for me:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post81616

Re the three samples, thanks for posting. I don't have a JVC with TBC, so I'm really curious to see what I am missing. From the three samples, I prefer the one with the ES10 in the workflow. The snow on the rooftop is really interlace-looking (not sure the term) on the regular JVC, and on the TBC JVC. But regular JVC+ES10 looks best to me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBC test.jpg (47.6 KB, 6 downloads)
01-20-2022, 04:24 AM
Free Member

The lineTBC of the JVC and the ES-10 without the lineTBC of the JVC are both able to correct the flagging happening at frame 90.

Immagine1.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

I prefere the image with lineTBC of the JVC compared to the image of the ES-10 without the lineTBC of the JVC because there are some more details in the white areas.

Immagine2.jpg

Image comparison https://imgsli.com/OTIxMDY

However, the differences are very very small, and the sequences have fields shifted in Y direction and inserted (duplicated) frames (defect from frame 47 to frame 56 for example) so it is difficult to sinchronyze and to judge

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

01-20-2022, 04:50 AM
Free Member

One thing you probably want to do is to turn off the on-screen display in the VCR menu.

As for the "shifted" frames, the JVC TBCs have a tendency to do that if there is a lot of instability, e.g on camcorder tapes where the camera is moving around a lot, so in those cases it may be better to leave the TBC off and let the ES10 handle it.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
01-20-2022, 05:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
As for the "shifted" frames, the JVC TBCs have a tendency to do that if there is a lot of instability, e.g on camcorder tapes where the camera is moving around a lot, so in those cases it may be better to leave the TBC off and let the ES10 handle it.
I confirm (actually one of the field is shifted, thus the frame), here a comparison of the different captures at frame 48 (of test18 - player no TBC.avi):

1.jpg

2.jpg

However, as I said is not easy to synchornize the 3 captures, so I may have compared different frames and then giving wrong conclusion, check yourself!

Tags
capture, feedback, tbc, virtualdub