Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Free Member

I have plenty of capture options, ati aiw's, usb this and that!

But I could not resist snagging an unused Matrox MX02.

It has everything! afaik... it is boxed and has all the required bits. I think it has no software though.

It has a pci-e connection card so I would want to try it on a pc. But this is where I am kind of stuck now!
I have been trying to take in everything about this device on this forum.

Can I use a bog standard matrox capture application or am I forced to install an adobe product? I want to try capturing things that are floating about, like old Hi8 and DV tapes, some old vhs tapes that have been with us for years, also maybe the composite feed from a few old retro computers.

I am not expecting amazing results, it is more I would like to have a go and see what it can do.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-11-2022, 04:02 PM
Free Member

I've got the MXO2 working on Windows 10.

Here's what you need for 10-bit YUV 422 capture.

- Find a copy of Matrox Mtx.utils version 8.0. It's here but you need to register or something. https://www.matrox.com/apps/video_dr...wnload/latest/. There are other copies floating around. It says that it's for Windows 8.1 but I've used it fine on Windows 10 64-bit.

- Once Matrox Mtx.utils version 8.0 in installed, run either Matrox AV Tools or Matrox MAX H.264 Capture (they are included in the package). In both applications you should be able to set the capture format to 8-bit or 10-bit Matrox AVI 720x486. Capture.

- The capture file will be in a M101 codec which is uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 but nasty to work with. Use MKVToolnix to make a mkv file out of the avi file.

-Then use ffmpeg to lossless convert the mkv file back to an avi file in the YUV422 codec of your choice. My personal favorite is FFVHUFF. An example ffmpeg command line for the conversion is:

ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -vcodec ffvhuff -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -vf setsar=9/10 "output.avi"
08-11-2022, 04:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I just got an Express Card in the mail yesterday, and plan to set up the MXO2 LE and Mini on my Win10 laptop.

Much like Blackmagic, this was a card with lots of promise when it was announced at NAB (and discussed in detail in Broadcast Engineering), about 13 years ago. And at first, it did appear workable, with some arm twisting and fiddling. Unfortunately, the BM cards were found to silently drop frames (BAD!!!), and Matrox software/codecs were never improved as promised (we never learned our lesson from the Matrox RT days; but it's now common knowledge that Matrox is 99% full of crap, promises rarely deliver).

There is a VirtualDub method that I want to try: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post68792

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs