12-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

Just found a DVD-RAM that was recorded back in 2006 on an LG recorder. The disk never worked. However was messing around with ISO Buster and was able to pull the disk apart. Now I have these files that I want to get to Mpeg or DVD somehow, no idea what to do. They don't seem to work with any program that I have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dvd-ram.jpg (29.1 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

What you have right now are raw data files, not MPEG files, from what I can see. You have Windows set to hide file extensions, so I don't know what you have there exactly.

You need to unhide extension, so you know what you have.
In Windows XP, this is done in Windows (My Computer) by going to
  • Tools
    • Folder Options
      • View
        • and uncheck the "hide extensions" option.
For advice on recovering video off unfinalized discs, look at this post http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...ized-1397.html -- see if that helps.

If not, then the only really way to extract the video is to finalize it on another LG recorder. However, I don't recall DVD-RAM needing to be finalized. (I don't work with DVD-RAM much, the format is awful by its using VRO, being slow, and cooperating with few computer DVD drives.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Free Member

The Admin's right, there's no need to finalize a -RAM disc to use/watch it. Copy your .vro file to your computer's hard drive, then open that in any editing software that supports it. You can playback a file with a .vro extension on any version of a Cyberlink PowerDVD player and open/edit it with Womble, for some examples of supporting software.
The Admin kinda frowns on -RAM/.vro use, but I happen to use it often- and with nice results.
Hope this is of help to you, good luck!
12-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

For MPEG editing software, I highly suggest Womble MPEG Video Wizard or MPEG Video Wizard DVD.

You can get the MVW here for only $34: http://esd.element5.com/product.html...teid=200090279
Or the "DVD" version for just a few bucks more, at $49: http://esd.element5.com/product.html...teid=200090279

I use both of these.

Notes about DVD vs non-DVD versions:
The benefit of the DVD version is that it encodes AC3, if you need/want AC3. The non-DVD version will only "stream copy" existing AC3 audio, you can't add effects or re-encode it to AC3. The non-DVD version does MP2 and WAV only. That's not the end of the world, but many of us prefer to stick 100% to the DVD specs. MPEG audio isn't officially supported for NTSC, although it does work at least 95-99% of the time with no problem. AC3 compresses better, too. MPEG audio is part of the official PAL DVD-Video specs.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!