01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Ok so I have looked around the internet and didnt really find anything that would confirm what I am trying to do... I am working on creating a web page from for one of my sites but what I would like to do is give them a login section. Sort of like the login form above on this site. However I need it to be on my front page which is seperate from the forum. Has anyone done this or been able to ? I have done some test from the different codes I have seen what looks like its logging in but redirects back to the home page which is fine but still looks like a normal login back in short doesnt show that your logged in or pms...etc
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

While this front page is far from ready as I need to test the overall design on different browsers... but I am using vbulletin on the main site now.
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

There are methods for displaying and tying into vBulletin data on external pages. Much of it is documented on vBulletin.org, amongst others.

However, you may not be able to put it on an HTML page. It will be PHP code, meaning that you either:
  1. Make php pages, not html pages, -OR-
  2. Run html as php on the server. This can be done, but is often not suggested for various reasons.
A php page can hold pure HTML code.

I do it for includes on one of my new sites, because this helped me cheat a WordPress crossover. Having the menu.php stored in the theme directory, I can now directly access site-wide menu from with WordPress, instead of having to edit the external html file separately. I've replaced the standard WordPress menu with a JS-powered one, a manual fix. The WP CSS version only displays when a person has JS disabled in the browser, or is running NoScript with the site not in the exceptions list. It also includes the warning "please enable Javascript to view the site as intended" -- or something to that effect, still writing it.

As far as login-specific suggestions, I saw one at daniweb, although it fails to mention the version of vB and is from early 2008. See http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread109707.html

As with anything else "crossover" in nature, you may just be in for a wild ride here, ending up with nothing functional after investing a lot of time in such a "hack". Just be warned.

Sometimes it's better to just include a link to the login page. For example, http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/login.php and then be done with it

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

yea thanks as it describes in that site exactly as far as I got.. I was able a little ago playing around to make a vbulletin page which the login box work'd its just going to be tricky here I did hear it would be me having to replace the index.php with my custom page. Yea if all else fells i will just link it to the login form..