08-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Free Member

I have a few dvd's that when I try to backup I get the message...pack header not found, how do you fix/resolve this?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Although this can be tied to the quality of the disc, more often it's an issue with the drive. This morning I was ripping a DVD made in my DVD recorder, and my external Samsung DVD burner drive gave me pack header errors in DVD Decrypter, and the ripped file was corrupt.

I put the same disc in my internal Pioneer DVD burner on a different computer, and it ripped fine. No errors, file was not corrupted.

Just try a different drive and/or different computer.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Free Member

I only have the one computer and it's got a LG drive, so could you recommend another internal computer drive? I have a couple empty slots in my computer.
Thanks
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Pioneer DVD burner. Get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002GQ2SI8

Free shipping for $25 order. This is $24.99
I suggest buying another pack of blank Verbatim DVD-R or DVD+R while they are available at such a great price (~$25 or under):
DVD-R $26 today @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMI

Or maybe a book, DVD box set, etc. All kinds of stuff there. I use Amazon more than Walmart.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Free Member

Isn't a pata drive an IDE connection drive? If yes I have a IDE connection in my computer but also 2 free SATA connections, wouldn't a SATA be better?
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
For a hard drive, yes.
For an optical drive, no. Most SATA DVD burner connections are erratic compared to IDE/PATA connections.
That's the main reason you still see PATA/IDE on motherboards.

You can run into issues with SATA burners. It's almost like voodoo. The right drive, with the right firmware, on the right motherboard, with the right BIOS, and the right OS with the right drivers. It's about on par with calculating the phase of the moon in relation to the constellations and praying to the sun god before installation.

I've had MANY issues on this myself, as well as read about it in magazines, other forums, other sites, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs