11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

continued from email...

Quote:
I tried to access www.mysite.com/myvideos but it says the page does not exist.
I have already created a test video and uploaded it to the myvideos folder via FTP.
Is there something else that I need to do?
Thanks
If directory browsing is off, you cannot browse files in the online folder. This is by design -- it's more secure this way.

A web server is usually going to look for a default page when a directory URL is put into a web browser. Depending on the operating system (Windows vs Linux) and/or server (IIS vs Apache, etc), it's going to search for one of these possible files:
  • index.html
  • index.htm
  • index.asp
  • index.php
  • default.asp
  • default.html
  • default.htm

You can usually allow directory browsing, but how easy this can be done generally depends on your hosting provider and their choice of control panel. It's merely a permissions issue. On Windows using Plesk, for example, you'll have to create a virtual folder -- you cannot simply enable file browsing for the directory. Then in the virtual folder, you'll allow browsing. None of this is suggested, however.

Your best solution is to link directly to the file, or create a page (index.html) that acts as the index of files. (Trivia: That's really how the origins of "index.html" came about. It's not a random name.)

Hope that helps clarify your issue. Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors