Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
I have some software I'm going to start using on client sites that is a theme in and of itself, but can be used with another theme as a sub-domain.

This software is for creating custom opt-in pages and sales pages. I'd rather just create a sub-domain for the sales page and opt-in page rather than purchasing additional domains.

Please let me know if you know how to do this?
Adding a subdomain is usually done via a control panel. For example, it's easy when using Plesk. (It's also proper when using Plesk -- i.e., separate hosting from main domain. Subdomains were invented to allow multi computers to use same primary domain.)

Godaddy, which I know you're using, has a butchered version of cPanel that they use, so not really sure. If they've not screwed with it, it's probably the same as normal. Many hosts have step-by-step tutorials to help you through this process. For example: http://ca.dayanahost.com/tutorials/C...g_a_subdomain/

Cpanel stores files in subfolder -- meaning site.com/subdomain = subdomain.site.com -- which is knd of crappy for SEO, as dupe content is possible. In fact, here's a recent complaint from a Godaddy user, on this exact topic: http://www.seorefugee.com/forums/seo...e-content.html

Can it be done? Yes.
Can it be done on Godaddy shared hosting? Yes, but there may be consequences.

The way that cPanel handles domains and subdomains is just really crappy, backwards, outdated, and out of spec by what most admins would like to see done. Complaints about it are common. Here's a thread from WHT from just a couple of months ago, same/similar complaint: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=975985

So take that into consideration is SEO is a motivating factor of having the subdomain.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors