Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This isn't really my "portfolio" as much as it's simply an ongoing display of shots I've taken recently.

In some cases, it's going to be old photos that I decided to edit or re-edit, and have shared for your benefit. I have tens of thousands of images, and that's just the "personal" shots! Material shot for newspapers and magazines has always been given priority, so my own work tends to languish on hard drives and in slide/negative sleeves.

Feel free to ask how shots were taken, how processing was done (Photoshop, Lightroon, DxO, etc), why it's a good shot, or other related photographic questions -- I'm glad to share that information, in the interest of teaching photo to others. Note that I may move posts to new threads.

If you like what you see here, click the THANKS button.

Feel free to start your own "portfolio" thread.
If you wish for it to be critiqued, simply mention that in your post -- I'll be happy to do it.

Before you reply in this thread: I do NOT need critiques of my work. There are already plenty of editors in my life with no shortage of commentary. If you like what you see here, simply hit the "Thanks" button. This thread is for educational purposes, for teaching photography based on example. Only make a post if you're wanting to learn something about my images.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.

Last edited by kpmedia; 11-22-2010 at 07:28 AM.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: mlongue1 (11-26-2010)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-22-2010, 07:27 AM

This top image was taken from the apex of a mountain, as a storm rolled in late one night on the trip described below.

EastTenn-Lightning-NKD2094-webKP.jpg

Here's some "fall foliage" shots from eastern Tennessee / western North Carolina, from October 2010. This was a casual trip to view some eastern color, and I didn't take a lot of shots -- it was mostly a sightseeing weekend drive, with a camera tossed into the back seat if needed.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

EastTenn-LeavesCouple-NKD2025-webKP.jpg

Remember that I'm not even a landscape photographer.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.

Last edited by kpmedia; 11-22-2010 at 07:36 AM.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: alitogata (01-15-2014), manthing (08-06-2012), mlongue1 (11-26-2010), Spades (03-27-2016)
11-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

I like all these photos, but the most dramatic one, the lighting, what settings did you use?
11-27-2010, 10:57 AM

We had just come to the top of a mountain, and were driving along the ridge when we noticed a shallow car pull-out (for passing) near the summit. We knew weather was moving in, and it seemed like a great place to stop and have a look at what was coming our way -- hoping that we'd be out of the mountains before it hit.

You could see lightning in the clouds, lighting the sky pink and purple in those cloud patches, which I thought would make for a nice photo of the landscape, so I pulled out my camera. I ran off about 10 test shots to get exposure and white balance right -- cheating by using the LCD, because we were in a rush, wanting to get off the mountain before rain hit. It was pretty dark, too, so it wasn't easy to see the camera. It was also accompanied by unexpected freezing cold winds, making my time outside the car pretty miserable. The LCD on the Nikon D3s is pretty accurate, so it can get me close enough to Photoshop minor exposure differences later on.

I sat on a leaf-covered boulder, and balanced the camera on another large rock that sat a bit higher. From the glow of my LCD, I could see that bugs had crawled from under the leaves and onto my pants as I sat on their home. It wasn't the safest place to be, precariously dangling on the edge of a semi-cliff.

About 20 shots into it, the first bolt of lightning shot out from the clouds, at the exact moment I had the shutter open. It was completely unplanned -- a happy accident. I was thrilled. Maybe 4-5 more bolts were thrown, before it returned to in-cloud glows again. Not being prepared to photograph lightning bolts (no tripod for long exposures, no lightning sensor releases -- nothing), I ran the camera at 7fps for several buffer-filling bursts hoping to catch another. About 200 images later, I was still left with only the one bolt shot.

In my rush to set up the camera in the dark cold, I forgot to put it back into RAW+JPEG mode, so all I have are JPEGs. Luckily, the D3s processed them to my satisfaction anyway. Generally I try to shoot landscapes as RAW+JPEG, just in case I want to play with it in advanced ways.

This particular image was shot with older Tamron 17-35 f/3.5-4.5 that I've had for at least a decade, which has a Hoya S-HMC UV(0) on it. According to the EXIF, it was zoomed in to 31mm. I had set the camera to 800 ISO, and f/6.3 (a half stop away from the "sweet spot" for this lens, based on my tests that put it at f/7.1). It was in aperture priority "A" mode, and shutter speed automatically came in at 1/30th. It was set to the "cloudy" white balance preset. It was actually supposed to be set at f/7.1, but sometimes you can accidentally hit the dial, which I must've done in the dark.

The image looks every bit as true as what I saw with my own eyes that night. It's not been fudged or faked any. I did almost no corrections to it, outside of cropping it wide (chopping off some ground and sky from top/bottom), and cloning out a piece of dust that had apparently fallen onto the lens filter.

It looks nice at a small size, and simply gorgeous as a large wall print.

I'd love to say it was a planned shot, I'm a master photographer, etc -- but I'd rather be honest. It was a mix of luck, equipment and skill that created this image. I'd set the camera up well, I had the right gear on scene, and it just happened to be open when mother nature lit up the sky. Without all three of those in place, there would not have been an image.

Last edited by kpmedia; 11-27-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fix my typos
01-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Free Member

I know I am replying on an old post but they are Impressive!

And the most impressive is that you didn't do major changes with photoshop cause lately photography is mostly whoever works photoshop better which for me this is art not photography. I hardly see any untouched photos these days.
The following users thank alitogata for this useful post: kpmedia (01-15-2014)
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Part of it is because I'm "old school", and started in a dark room. In those days, digital cameras were mostly a pipe dream, and Photoshop was mostly a basic paint/image program on a Mac. Prototypes digital cameras existed, but it was all low-resolution, low-ISO gear that was worse than film, and honestly not that much more convenient given the limited processing power of computers back then. And Photoshop was actually not as good as some of the competing image programs.

My how things have changed! I shoot a Nikon D3s these days, and use Photoshop CS5

But when it comes to processing, if I cannot do it in a dark room, it's really not photography. As you say, it's art. Saying that it's photography is honestly lying/cheating. And I want to have photos of what was actually there, not make believe images.

I really want to give attention to this thread, as well as my own portfolio site, but just have not gotten around to it. Even after years! It's been too long, and I hope to rectify this later in the year. I have hundreds of photos going back almost two decades. Some of my favorite ones were the ones shot on film on the 90s, and scanned with a Nikon negative scanner.

Again, thanks.

01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Free Member

I miss the old film days but I didn't have any good camera then. Though I am not good as you from what I see, photography is my hobby but haven't practice it the last years either.

My old and only dslr camera is a Canon Rebel (must be 10 years old by now) but never had any problems with it and although I don't take good care of it, it still works perfect.

Art is nice, I love how people put their fantasy and create art, with photos or any other but this changed the way people see Photography. I never use photoshop or any other image programs besides to crop or resize. My photos might not be good but I enjoy it anyway. After all I do it as a hobby, I don't wanna be a pro.

Keep up the good work. It's nice to see there are still "old school" photographers.