Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Premium Member

I have just watched some sketching on ipads on youtube, & it is quite something how some of the sketches look so real.

like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GDhClgLOUs&NR=1

I like the idea of digital sketching, or a digital sketch tablet, your stuff is in a digital format, so far, I have used a small sketch pad & to digitize & archive I have scanned them with my epson photo perfection scanner 4490 in as 600 dpi .tiffs in Adobe RGB, the original sketches were on hand cut sheets of cotton resume paper to 5 in x 7 in.

This has worked, but the scanning gets tedious, as for a single idea or project alone I can generate at minimum 10 sketches & up to 60 or more, when I work out ideas & compositions. So I find myself often falling behind in my scanning my most recent sketches, amidst other things I have to do.

I scanned them, to archive & back up to discs, as my sketches are the heartbeat of my art, they are my thoughts & ideas, consisting of sketches & written notes, etc, sort of a visual diary of my life, so they have value to me. I live on a canyon in southern California & we do get wildfires, my neighborhood was evacuated one time. So it would be quite a loss for me to lose my paper sketchbooks, & I have amassed quite a few, & the paper attracts silverfish, & take up what little space I have.

So seeing sketching on the ipad looks appealing, my sketches would be already digitized, I could back up the sketches on an external hard drive, a much more compact storage & viewing solution, with the idea of printing them on a needed basis.

I did the sketches on the small side so I could use them with a copykake projector, to project onto canvases or other surfaces for a sketch before painting.

So I am coming here for some input or advice to help with my sketching situation, & whether an ipad would be a good idea. I read one of the other ipad threads on here & it got a bit of a bashing, I am in between & I see it's drawbacks but from what I saw on you tube it looks like it has potential for sketching, & something like this might help me with my art. Internet would not be my first use for it, the sketching & maybe reading books or documents on it, I would probably opt for the wifi & not the 3g one, as I dont like having to pay a monthly fee for something, if I can get internet for free at wifi places, however unreliable these may be as I have discovered with the ipod touch, either the networks are locked needing a password, or unlocked but with poor reception, with slow loading pages & a half drained battery from just 2-5 min of use & viewing.

Despite the drawbacks I noted about the ipod touch,I liked how it allows me to carry around alot of samples of my art & photos & I can show this to people, where as before I carried around a little photo book in my purse which was bulky. And sometimes I did get lucky with a good free unlocked wifi signal & have checked my e-mail on it a few times.

Last edited by Sossity; 12-23-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

On an iPad?
The Youtube video says "Photorealistic Digital Painting of Rihanna by Kyle Lambert. Painted using Adobe Photoshop and a Wacom Tablet."

Not an Apple iPad, but a Wacom drawing tablet.
Like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

Seems like a repeat of this thread: Wacom drawing tablets - Which one should I get?
Is it not?

I do see this from a Google search on "iPad sketching"
http://www.macworld.com/article/1503...ketchapps.html

Interesting, yes. A replacement for a Wacom tablet? I doubt it.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

Oops, my bad, yes I see the youtube video was not on an ipad, you tube gets off track, I initially typed in sketching on an ipad in the you tube search, & among the videos shown down the right side this was one of them.

I was not trying to repeat, the wacom & ipad are 2 differnt things, I am just trying to explore different options, the wacom does not allow one to draw directly on it/the screen like the ipad. I like the idea of drawing on the screen directly, I know wacom makes the cintique but these are way too expensive for me, so the ipad looked like a less expensive alternative.

Also, the wacom seems to have to be hooked up to a computer through usb to draw with it, & I could do this with my laptop, but going outside to sketch, setting up the laptop, plus the tablet is a bit more cumbersome to me than just a single tablet.
12-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
but going outside to sketch
You don't want to use an iPad outside -- you can't see anything.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!