01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Free Member

I have DVD Shrink on another computer of mine, and it takes about 10 mins or so for it to go thru and backup a DVD for me to copy, but I just downloaded it onto the Laptop that I just got, and it took like 30 mins to do the same procedure...the laptop is newer and has better hardware in it than the other computer that it only takes about 10 mins on.
Why is it taking so much longer on the laptop? I went thru, and compared all the settings, and everything is the same, so I can't figure out what the problem is.

Can you suggest another good DVD copying program that only takes about 10 mins or so to copy a DVD?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Free Member

I just fully tried to copy a DVD with DVDShrink and Imgburn on the new laptop for the first time, and after the DVD was finished, I tried playing it in my DVD player thats connected to my TV, and it wouldn't play, and said "Invalid Disc"
That's certainly not good, why would this be happening?

Could it be a problem with ImgBurn? I noticed as it was burning, it took about 2-2 and a half minutes to burn, when on my other computer it takes around 5 or so, and also, the Eject Tray button was greyed out, and I was unable to select it, and I always do that on my other computer. I found that odd as it was running through, but because the disc didn't burn, all of this is striking me as weird.
01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Free Member

I compared all my settings in Imgburn on my laptop to the one that works on my other computer, and everything is the same..so I'm not sure why it's not working.
I have Nero 6 on my other computer, and it copies DVDs fine, but I can't get it on this one because they want me to pay like $50 to upgrade to the new version, I've had the Nero 6 for like 4 yrs now.
Is there something better that I can use to copy DVDs?
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Free Member

You can try ripping with DVDfab then use dvd shrink to compress it down then use IMGburn to burn.
Unless you have an expensive laptop, desktops are generally better to use for video work.
01-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Free Member

DVDShrink worked a little better on the next DVD I tried, but ImgBurn is the thing that I'm having the most problems with. I tried to burn another disc with it, and again, the eject tray was greyed out and the disc was invalid after it burned. So that's the main problem I'm having, so that's why I asked about another DVD copying program, other than Nero because they want me to pay to upgrade and I don't want to do that.
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Free Member

Still having problems with this on the laptop, where ImgBurn keeps burning invalid discs...
01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Are you using the internal DVD burner?

Internal laptop DVD burners are almost always LG or Matsushita drives -- both of which are supremely crappy DVD readers/writers. These drives are functional for reading a disc now and then, but that's about it. Writing abilities are unreliable, and speed of reading/ripping is very slow.

But for the best read/write experience, you really need a good 16x external USB2 DVD burner -- preferably a Pioneer. Or for a second choice, Samsung or Sony. (NOTE: DO NOT get one of those "slim" drives, as those are essentially an external version of the internal laptop burners -- and these drives are equally as crappy. Slim drives are infamous for creating coasters and generally working quite poorly.) For some price guidance, know that a good external DVD burners tend to run $50-100, so anything under $50 is a steal, as long as it's not a slim or an LG.

All laptops are like this.

EDIT: Here's a Memorex MRX-530LE external DVD burner (rebadged LiteOn) for only $36 + shipping
Or $33 + shipping from Geeks.com (look in DVD category)
LiteOn is good solid 3rd choice for a burner.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Free Member

Yeah, I'm using the DVD Burner that's in the laptop, remember when I told you I wanted a laptop that I wanted to be able to do DVD work on it, and I think a big reason you suggested this laptop to me was because of the DVD burner in it, at least that's the impression that I got when you told me that it's on it.
I'll take a look at the burners you suggested, thanks
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

It's all of the other specs of your new Dell that make it a great machine for video/DVD work -- not the burner.
Simply get a decent external drive for burning, and you'll be all set.

I know this drive is fast at reading/ripping, and burns beautifully: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
$60.95 + $6.99 shipping
This is what I would be buying, if I needed another external today.

01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered it. I've never used an external DVD burner before, but from what you said, it sounds great so I look forward to getting it.

Thanks again!
01-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Free Member

I just got the DVD burner, but I'm having the same problem with ImgBurn, that I was having.

I do the backup in DVDShrink, and it says that it saved in a specific location, so I went to ImgBurn and tried to open it, but it says the folder that DVDShrink said it saved it to is empty, but when I go to the folder in "My Computer" everything is there....

Why isn't ImgBurn finding the files inside the folder when they are there, and how can I fix this?
01-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Free Member

Still having probs with this issue with ImgBurn..
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Did you use DVD Shrink to create an ISO or a VIDEO_TS folder?

If an ISO, open it in ImgBurn in ISO>Write mode.

If a folder set, drag the folders (VIDEO_TS + empty AUDIO_TS) to the ImgBurn window when it's in Build mode.
Do this with Windows Explorer ("My Computer") and not some "open file" facility within ImgBurn.

I don't think you're using the software correctly. That may be all it is.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Free Member

Well, what's weird is, I matched all the settings the exact same way that I have it on my desktop, and it's always worked fine on there.
How would I make it create the video ts folder?
01-23-2011, 03:24 PM

The only thing that I can suggest is to take screenshots of everything you do, step by step.
Then maybe we can see where you're going wrong.

Please don't take a screen shot of your entire desktop, however.
Use the Greenshot method here (#2 for Windows): http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...take-2689.html
Then just post the "important" areas of the screen -- software and/or smaller crops of just the settings.

Too many variables right now -- it's mostly just random guessing until we can get more information on this.
Something just isn't right, and maybe it's not obvious.

Then it should be easier to diagnose.

01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Free Member

When DVD Shrink is done, it says the file name and at the end of the name, it says video_ts.

When I switch to "write" mode in ImgBurn, and I try to open it in the location that DVD Shrink saved it to, the video_ts file is there with the VLC media player icon, (and it's not there in "build" mode) and it says it's a video ts file but when I try to open it, ImgBurn says I'm in the wrong mode, and go back to the "Build" mode (which is the mode that was giving me problems)

So, I go back to the build mode, and I try to open the video_ts file, and it's not there..
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
When I switch to "write" mode in ImgBurn
That writes an ISO file to disc.

Quote:
I try to open it in the location that DVD Shrink saved it to
Quote:
So, I go back to the build mode, and I try to open the video_ts file, and it's not there..
Don't "open" anything in ImgBurn.
Drag the VIDEO_TS folder from Windows explorer into the ImgBurn window.
It has to be in build mode.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Free Member

I just noticed now after I drug the folder into the ImgBurn window, once I clicked the burn button, a window came up that said save as file name, then under it, it says save as type and the options are
iso
bin
img
all files

It's never done this on my other computer
01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

It sounds like you have it setup to output to a file instead of having it output to a burner.

Enter build mode with the "dummy friendly" menu (Ez-Mode Picker) -- pick Write Files/Folders to Disc:

imgburn-build1.jpg

... or just go to Build mode:

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Be sure it's set to output to a device (DVD burner) and not an image file:

imgburn-build2.jpg

Drag your VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder from Windows explorer ("My Computer") to the ImgBurn window..

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

And then click over to the Device tab to see your burner, burning speeds, etc.

imgburn-build3.jpg

You'll notice I'm on my laptop, as it shows my craptastic LG drive. The Pioneer drive suggested earlier, several posts back, is an excellent external DVD burner that should give you good quality burns with few/zero coasters (assuming good media is being used).

Pretty easy, really.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: Superstar (01-24-2011)
01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Free Member

That was the problem, it wasn't set to "device".

It works great now!

Thanks again for your very helpful advice!