Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Free Member

Looking for general recommendations.

For Verbatim are your experiences good? Do I need to look out for media manufactured in a specific place like for their DVD's?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

In general, it's identical to DVD media. Or more specifically, to DVD+R DL media --- Use Verbatim, and only Verbatim.

The LTH discs (low-to-high) sub-format Blu-ray recordable discs can vary in quality, based on your BD-R burner. Those discs came later to market, having found a way to be produced with organic dyes and materials similar to DVD. You really need a newer burner (say mid 2010 or later?), and with recent firmware.

The "regular" non-LTH BD-R discs work fine in pretty much any burner. But again, newer burners may be a little better than the earlier generation ones.

As expected, Amazon seems to have the best prices on Verbatim Blu-ray blank discs:
In USA, you can also look at pricing from Supermediastore.com and Meritline.com. However, as much as I really like those online stores for CD and DVD blank media, I don't find their Blu-ray blank discs prices to be very cheap or competitive, as compared to Amazon. Maybe on the odd blank Blu-ray sale will you get really low prices for blank BD-R (or BD-RE). To an even lesser degree, Newegg.com carries some Verbatim BD-R. Gotmedia.com carries inkjet versions, though at a much higher cost than simple branded BD-R.

That's my advice to you, for buying the best blank BD-R, which will give your the fewest coasters and lowest number of blank Blu-ray burning problems.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!