Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Free Member

What kind of blank dvd is easiest to write on? I'm guessing white ones are matte -? Any difference between inkjet and thermal?

I don't need to print (or have a label printer); I just want a surface that's easy to write on and read. Shiny isn't good for either. But I've never seen a white printable dvd in person and want to get whichever is best for writing on with a permanent marker.

btw it *is* okay to write with a marker, right?

thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Thermal media is the easiest to write on with a marker.

Ink pens, specifically ball points** and extra/ultra fine tip type markers, are engineered to release ink at a flow and pace equal to human writing speed. When you write too fast, you'll notice the ink is thinner or entirely missing. If you write too slow, ink pools on the paper, and your writing looks sloppy.

The so-called "fine" point markers, all the way up to the large "fat head" markers, tend to drool ink pretty quickly. If you write fast, it looks great. If you write somewhat slower (as I tend to do), you'll get continuous ink pooling as you write, leaving you with "fat writing" that can close loops and generally make your writing illegible.

Now that's all based on "normal" writing paper and most standard writing surfaces.

Inkjet surfaces, however, are engineered to absorb ink. So when you try to write with a pen, or extra/ultra fine point marker, it sucks in the ink right out of the pen. The writing will look as if your pen was giving out, even if it was new and full. You have to learn to write slow enough to give the ink time to replenish itself at the head, but without allowing it time to pool. The "fat" style markers still tend to pool, even with inkjet media, unless you're writing very quickly and lightly.

Thermal media has a "normal" type of writing surface, which is why it can be easier for a good marker.

These are great Sharpie markers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
And then note that you do NOT need "DVD safe" markers.

And welcome to digitalFAQ.com -- feel free to ask more questions, if you need anything else. Thanks.

** Important note:
NEVER use a ball point pen on a disc!!!
The mention of a ball point was for informational purposes only, to aid in understanding of how a pen works!!!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: 350ppm (06-16-2011), Nisaea (06-15-2011)
06-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Free Member

*awesome* answer, lordsmurf. Many thanks. Trying to write with lame pens or when the pen and surface aren't a good match drives me nuts. Working my way through 100 inkjet dvds would've been agony. Also I love learning how things like pens work, just out of curiosity (really - I'm not kidding)

I did know never to use anything sharp on a dvd but always wondered if special dvd pens were necessary, so thanks for that link too.