Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Free Member

Recently got a new TV which has the usb inputs.
I was looking at the file extensions that the tv decoder can use.
There is a bunch of file extensions that are supported among them are mkv,avi,mp4,ps,ts.
Of course the blu-ray m2ts isn't supported, I decided to try a little test by renaming the file extention
m2ts to ts.
I only used a couple of 10 min. clips from 2 movies and the TV seemed to play it fine.
Now according to what I have read ts files packets are 188 and m2ts are 192 bytes.
Should I try to convert to TS using a software program or is there any harm in renaming them like I did?
I suppose this is not really a conversion but a repacking or something to that effect.
Anyone know of a simple free software that will do this?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
Recently got a new TV which has the usb inputs.
Steve, is the TV by any chance a Panasonic with Viera (the name that Panny gives to a bunch of different capabilities, like CEC, and IP streaming, etc etc etc). Because if it is, I just spent a fun weekend figuring out how to turn AVIs with various codecs into what Viera can use. The secret, btw, is that even though Panasonic says you can play videos from SDs or USBs, it would be MORE accurate to say you can play videos from SDs or USBs if they are formatted in the exact format, filename conventions, and directory structure that a Panny SD-based camcorder outputs. With necessary variations thereon for SD. And a different set of necessary variations for USB.

And if you can find Panasonic documentation on any of it, you're a better man than I am!

So, if you're fighting Viera, I can help. Otherwise, I wise you Godspeed, the wisdom of the ancients, and the patience of Job.
07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Free Member

No, it is a Samsung D630 series, this year's model.
Had in mind to use an external USB hard drive and load my blu-ray titles on it
to play back, movie only.
I think for now I will rename the m2ts to ts and see what happens, I may end up getting
a media player.....once they have better support for m2ts....if that ever happens....
07-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

"TS" = transport stream. Only a few select formats can be used as transport streams, namely MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and some of the MPEG-4 variations (like H.264). Transport streams were originally created for broadcasting, but its use was expanded for post-DVD disc and camera formats. Part of that expansion was the inclusion of extra timecode data, which accounts for the additional few bits per stream segment.

Possible file extensions include:
  • .tod
  • .ts
  • .mts
  • .m2ts
The "m2" portion of that last extension reflects that the stream is MPEG-2, at least historically. The MPEG-2 TS version transport container is also used for MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 content on Blu-ray media.

I'm aware of most of this kind of content, but don't deal with it extensively. A lot of video work is still overwhelmingly based around standard definition content (DV, DVD, DVB). Transport streams are also distribution formats, so most handling of these files are handled by end-users (viewers, consumers, home enthusiasts), instead of the earlier generation Avid, ProRes, MXF and HDV type streams and containers -- which is where I do a lot of work.

For the most part, .ts and .m2ts are the same thing, though expressed in slightly different ways.

Playback problems are more likely a reflection of the player being picky, instead of the files being bad in any way. That's always been common with "added on" type playback features. It used to be confined to DVD players and DVD recorders, but Blu-ray and current generation HDTVs are playing their hand at format expansion. In some ways, that's nice -- but it's also bad, because there's no standardized way to support the many formats that exist.

Enter the "media center". Have you consider simply using a top-of-the-line media player, like the excellent Western Digital WDTV units? I used to be frustrated on a weekly basis trying to play random files on a DVD player or hacked XBOX, as nothing ever seemed to work as desired. The WDTV really changed all that -- it's rare that the WDTV won't properly play a common file.

I urge you to consider a WDTV model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
It will take the nuisance out of what should be an enjoyable experience (watching video).
For M2TS support, you want the WDTV Live Plus model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003MVZ60I

As Joekster points out, trying to guess at the specific niche compatible with the HDTV will be a source of continued frustration.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!