07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Free Member

I clicked on a link to Amazon that I bookmarked ages ago (it is the same link as the one at the top of the Blank DVD Media Quality review page) and the product listed is Verbatim 97459 16x Branded Recordable Disc DVD+R (100 Disc Spindle). Originally this page was for Verbatim 95098, same description. I cannot find this new part number at the Verbatim site but the old PN is still there. Also, Amazon is offering free shipping on $25 or more and this is priced at $24.99. I found the old PN still for sale for $25 with free 3 day shipping from a reputable seller--ChiefValue.com. My question is, what is this undocumented part number all about? Is it the same product with a different PN or what? Is it the same/better/worse quality?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Part numbers can change, and it doesn't necessarily reflect a product change.

I can't confirm it ChiefValue.com is really selling the Verbatim Mitsubishi spindles, or the newer retail "Value Series" or "Life Series" media. The available photo is very old, from 2008 or earlier. The one review comment is undated. (Supposedly Chief Value is the same as Newegg. I'll have to look into that when I get some time. I've never heard of that site until today. Wikipedia confirms the relationship, but Wikipedia isn't necessarily an authoritative source.)

I do know that Amazon is still shipping the "good stuff". (Mitsubishi made Verbatim media.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: pacocap (07-11-2011)
07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Free Member

OK Thanks. I think I'll just ask the seller and maybe Verbatim. But the expected, documented, part number, and free 3 day shipping is hard to resist. And note that the listing does give the Verbatim part number--Model #: 95098. BTW Resellerratings also gives ChiefValue [a Newegg Inc. Company] a stellar rating, which is a good sign indeed. Better than Goggle ratings IMO.
07-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Free Member

It gets even weirder. They changed the PN back to the original 95098 number on Amazon. WT?
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I honestly would not overly worry about the internal stock/inventory system of the manufacturer.
Simply seek out the media known to work. In this case, Mitsubishi made Verbatim discs.

I mean, yes, it makes for interesting discussion, but it shouldn't effect the underlying purpose: buying good discs.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
I honestly would not overly worry about the internal stock/inventory system of the manufacturer.
Simply seek out the media known to work. In this case, Mitsubishi made Verbatim discs.

I mean, yes, it makes for interesting discussion, but it shouldn't effect the underlying purpose: buying good discs.
That's the whole point of my OP. I had already identified that particular part number (95098) as being that of high quality discs and was dismayed at an unidentifiable new part number. I was hoping someone here knew about the "switch". In any case, the number was changed back on the Amazon page to the original PN which is "known good". Who knows? Maybe it was an error. Maybe someone at Amazon read my post and changed it. Don't know, but it is somewhat reassuring that it was changed back, I think. Now the problem is that they will not honor the free shipping option because of one lousy cent. Because of that and the fact that 'that other company' has a great reputation--I have ordered from the parent company before, I ordered the discs from them instead. I'd like to have ordered them from your link so you'd get the credit but hey--it's all about getting the best quality for the least cash right?
07-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Free Member

I got the disks from ChiefValue 3 days from order date in a package from Newegg. The purple and pink plastic wrap has the 95098 PN and it says they are made in India. PlexTools says they are MCC 004 so these are the good ones according to your guide.
07-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's great news. The MCC004 media is definitely excellent, and geography (country of origin) isn't really all that important. The Indian media from Moser Baer facility still burns great because it's still just MCC media.

As far as the $24.99 issue goes, being a single penny behind the $25 free shipping threshold, I usually buy at least two cakes of 100 blanks -- so almost $50. On the odd instance I only want to buy a single spindle -- for example, only one is in stock! -- I'll buy a book or something else cheap off my Amazon want list. There's plenty of things that I want for less than $5 that pads out an order well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMS

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That's great news. The MCC004 media is definitely excellent, and geography (country of origin) isn't really all that important. The Indian media from Moser Baer facility still burns great because it's still just MCC media.
I added the country as further evidence of good quality. The only thing I have to go by is your guide, which gives both mfg's code and country of origin, and both those criteria were present.

Quote:
As far as the $24.99 issue goes, being a single penny behind the $25 free shipping threshold, I usually buy at least two cakes of 100 blanks -- so almost $50. On the odd instance I only want to buy a single spindle -- for example, only one is in stock! -- I'll buy a book or something else cheap off my Amazon want list. There's plenty of things that I want for less than $5 that pads out an order well.
I only need 100 at a time really, and I'm sure Amazon wants you to add something to the order, but the only time I do that is if they have the best deal by a considerable margin. Then I have to waste time looking for something I may want but don't need, to add to the order. Given the excellent alternative at one cent more with free 3 day shipping, it was a no brainer to go with the 'chief'. And they did have the expected PN right from the start so no uncertainty involved. They also ship much faster than Amazon. I would have waited a week or more if I had ordered from Amazon. I am very pleased with the order. You may consider adding that source to your list.

Quote:
OMG, they put back the unknown 97459 PN.
07-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Verbatim 97459 is the "frustration free" packaging.
Verbatim 95098 is the "retail" packaging.

I have both, and don't understand the difference. Both latest orders were Taiwan discs. The spindle sealing was slightly different, but otherwise everything is identical. If anybody is "frustrated" by either package, then they've clearly never tried to open a vitamin or medical bottle. I have more issues with a bag of chips.

Price is also now $22 per 100-spindle.

Amazon prices change daily.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.