Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

In my search for a new HDTV for my family, I have come across 3D HDTV's, they are alot more expensive, do we need this? as usual there is always something that seems to come up & complicate things when I think I am figuring something out or narrowing a search down.

What ever we end up getting, this will be a big expense, & so this will be our TV for awhile, we dont want to be out of date right away, this will have to last long time.

I saw this; http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+4...&skuId=2072128

it also shows internet items with it as well, what does that mean?

we just want something that is easy to setup, use, flexible, good quality, reliable & will last.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Without going into a long explanation to defend my position (most of which is fact, not just opinion), "3D" is a ridiculous feature that exists mostly to milk money from buyers. To call it worthless would be an understatement. Let me put it this way: Would you like to spend several hundred dollars to buy expensive clumsy glasses, which you have to wear in order to view a handful of 3D movies? Again, it's an expensive gimmick nobody really needs.

Televisions don't have internet connections. At least, it's nothing a normal consumer would consider to be an "internet connection" (web browsers, controlled by mouse and keyboard). The wireless networking found in a television is narrow in scope, doing little more than empowering pre-installed applications from functioning. For example, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc. You could not visit this site and make forum posts, for example. To say it has an "internet connection" is highly misleading. The only way to give an HDTV "the internet" is by connecting a computer, and using the TV as a monitor. As per other posts you've made recently, this required VGA or HDMI input on the TV. Most current televisions use HDMI, and lack VGA, since VGA is now an outdated connection (dumped in favor of HDMI and DVI).

An important factor to consider when buying online is to pick a store not in your state. Best Buy is almost definitely in your state. J&R, Tigerdirect, eCOST, Amazon, OneCall or Buy.com, however, probably are not. It really depends on where you live. That alone can be up to 10% cost savings. (Some political naysayers will get on a bandwagon about paying your taxes, but sales tax avoidance is not yet illegal. Millions do it daily. That's been true since the days of catalog buying.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
Sony 46" LCD (LED) for $1,350? That deal sucks. Best Buy is a rather lousy store, too.

Try this one, instead: Sony 55" LCD for $1,350 (+$80 shipping, no tax): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...414&CatId=3651
Same price, more screen.
Too big? Here's a Sony 46" LCD for $900 (+$150 shipping): http://www.ecost.com/p/Sony-Consumer...54~pdp.gahfhjb

In fact, here's a non-3D model of the same set available at Best Buy.
But this one -- a Sony BRAVIA KDL46EX523 46-Inch 1080p LED HDTV with Integrated WiFi, Black -- is only $728 + free shipping
That's from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004HYG9VO

This last one from Amazon may be the best deal!

If I wanted a 46" HDTV, I would not hesitate to buy this last one from Amazon. That's simply awesome for pricing.

NOTE: You may notice that some of the models I'm suggesting are not LED specs. The "LED TVs" you see in stores are misnamed. Outside of stadium type venues, there is no "LED TV". These televisions you're looking at are LCD televisions using LED light sources. The LCD makes the picture, the LED lights it. The alternative to LED is CCFL. LED is newer, and therefore misperceived st being "better", but that's really not the case. If anything, LED sets can be guilty of what some of us call "eyeball scorching", where the light source is too bright and must be turned down to minimal settings to create an enjoyable picture. The same can be true of CCFL, of course, and often is. Bright and colorful isn't a good thing; you want something that's color-accurate and easy on the eyes. (And it's not like a standard CCFL is "dull and dim" -- that's ridiculous.) A Sony set is likely going to give proper color and brightness, be it LED or CCFL, LCD or otherwise.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Free Member

Hello,

To add some very specific info: I was in the market for 46-50 inch TV, and ended up buying Panasonic's 3D version (the ST line) instead of the regular S line. I don't care about 3D and also think it's a gimmick.

Why then did I spend the extra cash? The blacks. I went to a store that had a 50S and a 50ST above one another. With both displaying the same signal, the S was clearly grayer. When both were turned off, the S was about 70% grey, and the ST was about 95% grey. A huge difference.

I probably won't ever buy the glasses, but the extra black of the 3D line was worth it for me. So, before buying a non-3D TV, make sure that 3D is the only difference.

Nisaea
09-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisaea View Post
Hello,

To add some very specific info: I was in the market for 46-50 inch TV, and ended up buying Panasonic's 3D version (the ST line) instead of the regular S line. I don't care about 3D and also think it's a gimmick.

Why then did I spend the extra cash? The blacks. I went to a store that had a 50S and a 50ST above one another. With both displaying the same signal, the S was clearly grayer. When both were turned off, the S was about 70% grey, and the ST was about 95% grey. A huge difference.
I noticed this as well. It seems that Panasonic (and maybe a few other companies) are changing their product lineups so you are basically forced to get 3D if you want features like their Infinite Black panels.

Sossity,

Have you checked your local craigslist or thrift stores? I have seen some very nice CRT and even DLP HDTVs go for very cheap since people are "upgrading" (tongue in cheek) to flat panel displays. If you have a way to transport a large CRT easily you can get a heck of a deal, most of the local listings I have seen have been below $100! At one thrift store, I saw a barely used 16:9 32" Panasonic Tau HDTV for $20! I couldn't believe it either, but it shows the deals are out there. Even in our own household it took 2 months to give away our 32" 4:3 CRT HDTV (sadly no room for it anymore), one of our friends is enjoying it right now.
09-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Here's great examples of a nice Sony SXRD cheap on Craiglist:
- http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/2619580029.html
- http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/2619277293.html
- http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/2605658942.html

People decide to get a smaller TV, or want to "upgrade" to a flat panel HDTV.

Just be careful moving these sets. Put pillow and blankets down, as the internals of these SXRD sets can become dislodged from an abusive trip (bed of a truck, inside of a van, etc). The image quality is hard to beat, even with many newer LCD or plasma TV sets.

That's going to shave a few dollars off, and give you a larger/nicer TV at the same time.
Assuming budget outweighs the need to buy new.

If buying new, look at some of the Amazon links from earlier posts. Reading some of your other posts on related topics, the Sony line jumps from 40 to 46 to 55, yes. No 42" sets anymore. The 42" size just isn't that common anymore. I see some from Panasonic, Vizio, etc, but I don't know how well the filters are, in order to make SD signals (DVDs, tapes, DTV) look better. Sony is good.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!