Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

I have been looking at these & am curious about them. I have never done digital sketching/art on my computer, I am coming from paper sketch books.

should I get the intuos or the bamboo line?

I like the look of the intuos, I saw good reviews of the intuos 3 line, & they seem a little less expensive too, as the intuos 4 line is out.

if I get an intuos 3, should I get medium, or get a big one? it seems alot of artists end up going to bigger ones. And the sketch books I have used were in between 9 x 12 inches to 14 x 17 inches.

another issue I have read about is a widescreen aspect ratio wacom vs a regular one, I think there is a 6 x 11 & 9 x 12 wacom intuos model.

my monitors are widescreen, but the monitor on the other computer in the house is a 4:3.

I see alot of wacoms on ebay, it looks like people get them, find them hard to use, & then sell them. I have tried sketching with my mouse in photoshop & artrage, but it is awkward.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Well, I went through some of my posts, & I realized I had already posted about this, my bad, what was mentioned is a track ball mouse, if I get one of these, any suggestions one which one?I would want tone that is close to or easiest or accurate to draw with as well as surf the web etc.

Last edited by Sossity; 09-27-2011 at 02:20 AM.
09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yep, topic already found here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/comp...g-tablets.html
You want a track ball mouse -- on a Wacom tablet?

Or am I just reading that wrong?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Yep, topic already found here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/comp...g-tablets.html
You want a track ball mouse -- on a Wacom tablet?

Or am I just reading that wrong?

yes you did I am looking for either a ball mouse or a wacom tablet.
10-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

A tracking ball -- not the same as "ball mouse" -- is horrible to draw with, and is a common culprit for causing arthritic pains. I would highly suggest you avoid these.

A "ball mouse" is simply an older-style mouse with a ball on the bottom, instead of the new optical/laser type mice. A ball has drag on it, which some digital artists prefer, as it's how they learned to draw many (MANY!) years ago. Back in the days before tablets, or in the early days of tablets (when they were expensive AND sucked).

If you want to draw, and have no yet developed any good/bad habits, I'd go for the tablet. And a Wacom, at that.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
A tracking ball -- not the same as "ball mouse" -- is horrible to draw with, and is a common culprit for causing arthritic pains. I would highly suggest you avoid these.

A "ball mouse" is simply an older-style mouse with a ball on the bottom, instead of the new optical/laser type mice. A ball has drag on it, which some digital artists prefer, as it's how they learned to draw many (MANY!) years ago. Back in the days before tablets, or in the early days of tablets (when they were expensive AND sucked).

If you want to draw, and have no yet developed any good/bad habits, I'd go for the tablet. And a Wacom, at that.
Thanks for the reply, it so happens I found out today that my neighbor is having a sale on them, & they are at real good prices,

they have these 4;

Wacom intuos 3; 6 x 11 inches

Wacom intuos 3; 9 x 12 inches

Wacom intuos 3; 6 x 8 inches

Wacom intuos 4; Medium

They are waiting for me to get back to them on which one I want, & they have other people looking at them too, so they will probably sell quickly.

which one should I get?

I would be using it mostly with my mac laptop with my 20 inch widescreen apple cinema display. I may also use it with a windows xp PC with a 17 inch 4:3 monitor.

When I did analog sketching, I used sketch pads that ranged from 11 x 14 to 14 x 17 inches, & a portable 5 x 7 inch one.
10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Go as big as you can afford. If 9x12 is the largest one, get that one.

10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for your help, so I should choose size over version? the older is better because it is bigger, so you think this will be better than the newer wacom 4?

The 9 x 12 is what I was leaning towards as well, they have it for 200.00

one thing, is the usb cord to it is a little chewed up, they had a pet chinchilla that chewed it, but they said it works fine. should I still go for it? or look for another more intact 9 x 12 wacom 3?

If I get a wacom 3, will it work with snowleopard? Lion?
10-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
so I should choose size over version?
Year ago, I would have said "no" --- But now? These days, the previous versions are often near-identical to the current ones.

Quote:
If I get a wacom 3, will it work with snowleopard? Lion?
I have no idea. It likely works with Snow Leopard 10.6 for sure.

Speaking of which....
Do what many Mac users do -- leave the OS alone. The one it comes with is usually the one it will work with best.
I would not upgrade to Lion. I'm not, colleagues are not, friends are not. Leave well enough alone. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

10-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Is the 9 x 12 with the chewed cord ok, their pet got to it & tried to eat some of the usb cord. I mentioned that it has some tape on it, but neighbor says it works. or would I be better off waiting & getting a 9 x 12 that is completely intact.
10-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

If the cord is removable/replaceable, replace it. If the cost exceed buying it elsewhere, just buy one elsewhere.

Personally, I never want anything that's been a doggy toy. No telling what else was done to it. In fact, if the owner treated the unit with so little care as to let it within the access of a dog, I wonder what else my be wrong with it. These are high-tech pieces of gear, and easy to screw up. You would not want a pad with messed-up sensitivity, because Rover through it was his personal heating pad. (They do get nice and warm. Cats love them.)

In fact, I'd pass altogether. Pet owners piss me off.
Having a pet is fine. Being a de facto pet while you let a dog make the rules is ridiculous.

I don't want animal stink on my art and office tools.