Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Free Member

thought i'd start a dedicated thread on how to enable the vintage classic PIONEER ELITE series
PD-91, PIONEER's very first ELITE series CDP, to more reliably read CD-Rs.

((NOTE; the PD-91 is a notoriously finicky CDP in regards to CD-Rs, and, even after this adjustment, it can be rather crotchety about them, apparently due to CD-R brand/reflectivity/CD Burner/ETC. as such, while this adjustment IS absolutely beneficial to the PD-91's CD-R read tolerances, it IS NOT, unfortunately, a cure-all that will enable the player to read everything you throw at it. in fact, the player will often take 30secs./1min. to read the TOC, and/or sync to a track and begin play,
on many CD-Rs. others, it will read just fine, usually taking just a wee bit longer to sync up than it would reading a garden variety Redbook factory CD. in fact, this adjustment speeds up the players
handling of factory CDs, to the degree where the player will nominally read TOC and/or begin playback in less than a 1/2 second. just remember that this is a fussy machine, for whatever reason, with homegrown CD-Rs, and that your personal mileage will most likely vary with your copy
of this magnificent, yet temperamental machine...))

- PD-91, with top aluminum panel removed -

((NOTE, unless you have modded this player as i have, and bummed the alum top plate from
from either the Japanese market PD-3000, or -5000, or from the U.S. PD-93,
then your U.S. and/or EURO/WORLD version PD-91 will require removal
of 16 screws, both rosewood panels, and the pressed sheet metal top bonnet
in order to gain access to the player interior))

now then. there is a series of Variable Potentiometers on the section of PCB directly aft
of the disc transport cage/assy;

there are only TWO of these that you want to mess around with.
VR-3 and VR-4, FOCUS GAIN and TRACKING GAIN, respectively.

BOTH are located at the far right, right beside the black-anodized heatsink
vertically mounted on the central stay/DIGITAL section shield;

you will want to adjust these, counter-clockwise, to the positions shown
in that photo directly above.

do this, while attempting to play a CD-R. it should sync/read the disc at those positions
illustrated above. if not, then load another CD-R until it is successfully read.

further adjustment MAY be necessary, if your 91's laser pick-up is tiring out.
in fact, if it is too heavily worn, it may not read ANY CD-R, even if it still spins
factory discs just fine. as always, your personal mileage may vary.

also, please bear in mind that i am NOT a skilled Technician.
i have no electronic service education whatsoever, and this advice is wholly based
on my limited personal self-taught experience.

that said, someone reading this out there just might know how to dial this player
in for smooth CD-R operation better then i do, and may have had better success with it than
me. if that person is out there, then, please, by all means, contribute to this thread...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I remember all of the CD-R issues I had to deal with in the 1990s, from car players to Playstation imports.
And when your brand changed disc dye, it was always a panic moment. (Not to mention wasted $1/disc costs.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
I remember all of the CD-R issues I had to deal with in the 1990s, from car players to Playstation imports.
And when your brand changed disc dye, it was always a panic moment. (Not to mention wasted $1/disc costs.)
I must have been extremely lucky. I never had a problem with my older equipment with CD-Rs through the years. CD-RWs are a different story, but it was well known that you needed a "Mutliread" drive or a CD player that specifically stated it played CD-RWs (the latter is rare, but I have an Awia boombox from 2000 that proudly proclaims "CD-R/RW Playback" on the front of it)
10-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
I used my old PD-91 for CD-R playback early on, around 1994 or 1995, and it worked fine. My opinion is that the problem you have is that the pickups go bad over time in terms of alignment and mechanical performance. I'm not convinced that they can be easily fixed; this is like an car transmission going bad. The engine may be fine, and the brakes work, but if the transmission is bad, the car ain't gonna move.

This is a problem with tons of 20-year-old CD players, not just this one.

well, i'm QUITE happy now...

just last night, i opened her up again, and decided to take a careful inspection of the transport assembly.

i removed the stabilizer cage, and ejected the disc tray, before POWER OFF.
i went to inspect the LD pickup on it's floating electromagnetic linear motor mount, and... SOMETHING just did not look right about it.

so, i went and undid the small PHILLIPS head screw and HEX-head bolt
that holds the short shaft in place, that slides through a hole in the
pickup body, and mounts into lugs on the linear motor's pickup mounting cradle, and removed the pickup from the player chassis.

after inspecting it some, i carefully reinstalled it, making sure
that it was firmly and correctly in place, and tightly locked it down
with the copper retaining plate held in place by that PHILLIPS and HEX.

i test it out, and, lo-and-behold, IT READS CD-Rs... every bit as fast (1/2 sec. or less) as it does factory discs!!

in fact, i go into an orgy of CD-R pulling right on the spot,
AND IT READS/PLAYS EVERY ONE OF THEM... in a 1/2sec. or less!!

i think i just solved the problem.

that copper retaining plate i mentioned, that secures the pickup
retaining shaft in place, was not secured tightly when i first got to it, (the PHILLIPS screw was fine, but the HEX-bolt was loose)
and, if the LDP, as a result, wasn't thrown out of place at some time in it's past,
then it evidently amost certainly was, during shipment to my OREGON home, from the original seller, down in TEXAS.

evidently, i can only assume,
the pick-up was poorly installed in the factory, or, much more likely,
a replacement was sloppily installed by a careless service tech
at some time in this player's history.

apparently, that threw off the alignment of the pick-up
to where it had tre greatest difficulty handling CD-Rs...
though it did not seem to affect the handling of factory discs,
i suppose since they are so much easier for any optical drive to read.

at any rate, it does not seem that the seller of this player, the self-proclaimed original owner, lied to me after all,
and that this player WAS seldom used... at least since it's last LD pick-up replacement... if it actually ever had one, that is...