11-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Free Member

My goal is to copy and then play a double-layer (approx 8 GB) typical DVD without shrinking it to a single-layer blank DVD.

I have copied the DVD to an ISO file (using ImgBurn). Usually, I would then use DVD Shrink to make it fit onto a typical blank disk. But I want to know if it is possible to play it back without the loss of quality.

Is it possible to restore the DVD to a USB stick and play from that? I tried one program called, appropriately, isotousb (www.isotousb.com). It "burned" the files to an exact replica of the DVD file structure (so far, so good), but when I put the USB into the DVD player, the following changes occurred:
1. It opened the title menu page automatically, but the menu selections ("play movie", "scene selection" and "setup") could not be selected.
2. The order of the files was not the same. What logic it used, I could not tell, but it played the files out of order.
3. The VOB files played one at a time, but "subtitles" and "audio track" buttons were "invalid keys".

Is this the final verdict on using USB sticks?

If so, the only other idea I have is to plug a laptop into the TV, then play the movie using appropriate software (PowerDVD and so on). Any cautions here?

Your suggestions (or links to previous posts) will be most appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Why not just copy it to a DVD+R DL disc?
USB sticks are really not a supported format for DVD-Video, so I'm not surprised this isn't working as desired.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs