11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1
Hi LordSmurf i am wondering, as you seem educated about scans, prints etc.. if you happen to know what would be best to print a giant poster something like 2m x 1m . What kind of picture resolution and material should i use to have something decent to hang on the wall in the end.

Thanks for your help
Sharing a conversion from PM, as my responses may help others.

For something that large, you're pretty much forced to take it to a print shop. And then use the best paper you can afford. At the same time, realizing thin stock can be rolled, while you'd want to forever flatten and mount (frame) thicker photo stock.

I've only had to print something that large a few times, always for work-related reasons. 2m x 1m is like a 6x3' print -- as big as I am (well, not that wide!)

At that size, you can even get tapestry prints, made on various cloths (including hybrid plastic cloth). I forget the exact name. It's the same material used for outdoor banners.

In USA, there's only one place I go: The Color Place in Dallas. It's actually a nationally known company for this, amongst the photo and display communities. Their website is horrible, a monkey with a stick made it, so call.

You're in UK, right? I'd guess a comparable type of shop would be in London.

The largest I can print with a $500 pro ink print is about 2' wide, unlimited length (max length of roll, actually). That's what I have for my own prints.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1
Thanks for this enlightening reply, i'll look around for a pro print shop since it's not with my little 2 cents printer i'll get something "hangable" lol. Out of curiosity how much they charge you in such a shop?

Regards
$50 is a starting range, and can go up depending on quality of the print shop, and quality of the paper chosen.

If you have any more questions, just post them here, instead of PMs.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

I print large stuff "in-house" at work off plotters that were destined for the trash! I somehow became the unofficial large format printer guy in the process. If the photo was taken with a decent digital camera, the max I would print it is 24" x 36". I have done larger (around 36"x48" or so) but the results won't look pretty up close.

Standard 24lb bond paper rolls aren't all that expensive, the price goes up quickly if you want better paper or specialty media like Tyvek, vinyl, or clear film. Most places can handle clear film (even I can do it at work with our HP plotters), but the plastic/polymer materials usually requires a special plotter and inks.
01-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

A spammer decided to post to this thread about Ronyasoft's Poster Print software. I've removed the spammer's link, and replaced it with our own. Generally we don't like spammers to bump old posts, but it's a unique product that some may find benefit from.

Thanks, -KP

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.